• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
From reading the last 20 pages or so he comes accross as someone who enjoys his own jokes too much, thinks he knows more about cricket than everyone else here and is quite arrogant.

I know everyone seems to love him at this forum and there has to be a reason for it.. I am yet to see it though.
It's an age thing - a bit like moving from comics to a good book.
How's Desperate Dan doing these days?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
I agree with that. TEC may have his opinions which I often disagree with, but I never see him go out of his way to blatantly attack posters. LE you seem to enjoy the insults and attacks far too much. Heaven forbid if someone says something against you though.
Go ahead, punk. Make my day....

There were originally (until I logged on this morning) only two on the list. Now I see there are er, 1, 2,.....9, 10, damn. Now I've got to take a sock off. Hang on, I'll get a pen.

Blaze

Banned
luckyeddie said:
It's an age thing - a bit like moving from comics to a good book.
How's Desperate Dan doing these days?

Wow that wasn't funny..what a surprise.

Anyway back to the cricket.. Merv Hughes has said that it's unlikely that one of the seamers will get dropped for the ashes. IMO that is stupidity if it means that Brett Lee won't play

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
These English commentators are now so ridiculously biased I listen for the humour value. Something I picked up in the last game, when Ponting took his diving catch, a commentator specifically said "not the best catch ever, but still up there". Whereas Paul Collingwood's catch at the start of the NatWest Series, was "the best catch you will ever see". Now I'm not saying Ponting's catch was the best ever, and it was far from even his own best for that matter, but it was definitely a better catch than Collingwood's reflex catch.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
why? you seem to think that the average selector knows way too much about the game simply because he actually played cricket. fact is that its quite possible for someone to have not played any real cricket and still know a fair bit about selections and what not, and i'd say that at least a few people on this forum would make decent selectors, certainly better than the ones that pick players like hauritz in the national side.
I think that's where our opinions differ quite substantially. I firmly believe that only someone who has actually played the game at the highest level can possibly understand what goes on inside the head of a player when asked to perform in that arena. Of course, he's in the same position as you and me to judge how he actually will react, but at least he has his own personal experiences to go on - of how he personally felt. I still think it's a game played in the mind - see posts about Rampers passim.

tooextracool said:
for someone who seems to be as respected as you are on this forum, you really seem to spend a good deal of time making jokes and insulting people, usually for no reason.
its not particularly surprising that you call certain people idiots, while when RR calls you a self pretentious git he gets a warning. one of the perks of being a staff member i'd guess.
and i really doubt that someone who thinks hes a duck(joke or not) can call someone else delusional
I spend a huge amount of time making jokes, and very little time indeed insulting people and calling them idiots. Just you twice recently, and Scallywag - and I'd spent 2 days trying to defuse the situation with him beforehand only he just couldn't see it (or chose to ignore it). Actually, the phrase 'self-pretentious git' is nonsensical, you cannot be pretentious about someone else so the 'self' becomes as superfluous as 'personal' and 'number' in the phrase 'personal PIN number' .

The 'duck' thing started a long time ago and strangely enough, you actually need a sense of humour to know what's going on there. Sorry I can't help you with that.

Now can one of you idiots talk about cricket for once and get down off your collective soap-boxes?

(shuffles away very slowly)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
Wow that wasn't funny..what a surprise.

Anyway back to the cricket.. Merv Hughes has said that it's unlikely that one of the seamers will get dropped for the ashes. IMO that is stupidity if it means that Brett Lee won't play
To be fair, Merv actually said that he "...would love to see Brett Lee come into the side" but that he wasn't sure "...which of the other fast bowlers DESERVED to be dropped".

Now this can be interpreted a number of ways, but I'm not going to tell you what they are.

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Well if it makes a difference I'm behind Glenn, Diz, Kasp and for the tests, Lee can wait until two of them retire...Tait's coming in first. Shane "da gr8 spinR" Warne would take the other spot of course.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tassietiger said:
Well if it makes a difference I'm behind Glenn, Diz, Kasp and for the tests, Lee can wait until two of them retire...Tait's coming in first. Shane "da gr8 spinR" Warne would take the other spot of course.
YOU'RE behind Glenn, Diz and Kasp?

Ladies and gentlemen, Shaun Tait is a member of CricketWeb, and it seems that he shares Warne's txtng sklz.

If Gillespie carries on bowling the way he has on this tour so far, then there is no way that he will be in the second test. Saying that, he has always been quality and I expect him to get his act together.

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Exactly right in that last bit. Jason is a class act, and a bit of luck will get him going again. Brett Lee can bowl quickly, and that helps in the ODIs, but when he has to bowl for longer, and batsmen aren't forced to play their shots and instead can wait for his rather frequent bad ball, he is exposed.

Blaze

Banned
luckyeddie said:
YOU'RE behind Glenn, Diz and Kasp?

Ladies and gentlemen, Shaun Tait is a member of CricketWeb, and it seems that he shares Warne's txtng sklz.

Hahahaha I will give you that..

Dydl

International Debutant
tassietiger said:
These English commentators are now so ridiculously biased I listen for the humour value. Something I picked up in the last game, when Ponting took his diving catch, a commentator specifically said "not the best catch ever, but still up there". Whereas Paul Collingwood's catch at the start of the NatWest Series, was "the best catch you will ever see". Now I'm not saying Ponting's catch was the best ever, and it was far from even his own best for that matter, but it was definitely a better catch than Collingwood's reflex catch.
Yeah, I know. They make some really dumb comments too. For example: Australia are batting and are like 2-134 off like 12 overs, and some English commentator says "England will be looking for some wickets now." :wacko: :blink:

How original. 8-)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tassietiger said:
Exactly right in that last bit. Jason is a class act, and a bit of luck will get him going again. Brett Lee can bowl quickly, and that helps in the ODIs, but when he has to bowl for longer, and batsmen aren't forced to play their shots and instead can wait for his rather frequent bad ball, he is exposed.
Incidentally, I have never seen Shaun Tait bowl a ball. Over the last 6 months I have been in a loony bin and there's no tv in the 'rubber room'.

Actually I've been in Ireland and cricket coverage has been a little limited. Besides, it's different to see the tv through a pint of Guinness.

So, what's Tait like?

Linda

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
Incidentally, I have never seen Shaun Tait bowl a ball. Over the last 6 months I have been in a loony bin and there's no tv in the 'rubber room'.

Actually I've been in Ireland and cricket coverage has been a little limited. Besides, it's different to see the tv through a pint of Guinness.

So, what's Tait like?
Imagine a praying mantas (sp?!) crossed with a slingshot, with a firecracker up its rear end.

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
luckyeddie said:

So, what's Tait like?
I think his bowling, while it is quite fast and accurate itself, is helped by the fact that you couldn't watch his action and keep a straight face. Would put batsmen right off.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Linda said:
Imagine a praying mantas (sp?!) crossed with a slingshot, with a firecracker up its rear end.
Light the fuse and retire to a safe distance (or in Gillespie's case, just retire), wait for the explosion then wipe the gunge off the walls. I see. Graham Dilley risen from the grave - scary.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
Light the fuse and retire to a safe distance (or in Gillespie's case, just retire), wait for the explosion then wipe the gunge off the walls. I see. Graham Dilley risen from the grave - scary.
Yes. Something like that. I think its safe to say the "explosions" come as frequently as the "gunge", but its all relative.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Linda said:
Yes. Something like that. I think its safe to say the "explosions" come as frequently as the "gunge", but its all relative.
As far as speed, are we talking 'Jones', 'Harmison', 'Brett' or 'WTF was that'?