• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
Fosters isn't VB in Australia. They sell both kinds.
It's about time some Australian brewery (no doubt in a new township called Yarelboe) brought out a beer called "Jeraz" - you strike me as an Aussie who knows Jeraz from Yarelboe.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
shaka said:
I just saw on cricinfo's ask steven section this week that Andrew Symonds is born in England, I never knew that before. Wonder if he would have made it into the England side.
Couple of years ago (probably more like 5 in fact) he was asked to pledge allegiance to England but decided against it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
shaka said:
I just saw on cricinfo's ask steven section this week that Andrew Symonds is born in England, I never knew that before. Wonder if he would have made it into the England side.
I wondered for a moment what relevance Andrew Symonds had to the topic in hand - then I realised that we were discussing beer. Well done - good link.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
social said:
Couple of years ago (probably more like 5 in fact) he was asked to pledge allegiance to England but decided against it.
He was picked for an England 'A' tour but declined, saying he never wanted to play for anyone but the Aussies.

Mister Wright

shaka said:
He was also eligible for the West Indies, with his natural parents being from that area.

social

luckyeddie said:
I wondered for a moment what relevance Andrew Symonds had to the topic in hand - then I realised that we were discussing beer. Well done - good link.
Apparently his preferred poison was champers on night of ill-repute, which is why the commentators had such a good chuckle when he accepted bottle of same as MOM award.

social

luckyeddie said:
It's about time some Australian brewery (no doubt in a new township called Yarelboe) brought out a beer called "Jeraz" - you strike me as an Aussie who knows Jeraz from Yarelboe.
And if exported to England, they could save on packaging by marketing as one drop as Poms would never be able to tell the difference.

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
chipmonk said:
Who is the best bowler in this series so far ? Bradd Hogg or Steve Harmison?

Hogg has completely surprised me this series and I wonder if Warne is still a better option for australia.
Harmison. He was promising when he came down here a while ago, and he's lived up to that potential. Always looking dangerous when he bowls. I don't care what Punter says, I'd put him in the Australian team a long time before I contemplated putting Flintoff in.

Hoggy, however, as much as I like him, he doesn't look overly dangerous when he bowls. He works hard for his wickets though, and he gets them. I'm always happy to see him get a few.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
He was picked for an England 'A' tour but declined, saying he never wanted to play for anyone but the Aussies.
Mister Wright said:
He was also eligible for the West Indies, with his natural parents being from that area.
Interesting how the Aussie media can brand Pietersen a "South African-born slogger" when he wins games for England against them, but when Symonds beats England for them, he's an "Aussie destroyer" or such like. Ah well, if the Aussie media want to look like hypocrites it's not my place to stop them.

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Barney Rubble said:
Interesting how the Aussie media can brand Pietersen a "South African-born slogger" when he wins games for England against them, but when Symonds beats England for them, he's an "Aussie destroyer" or such like. Ah well, if the Aussie media want to look like hypocrites it's not my place to stop them.
I'd advise you not to get me started about the English media.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
People are ignoring also that Symonds has been in the Australian team playing as an Australian for 5 or so years now. Pietersen has only played a couple of series, and Australians for the most part have never seen him before. Hence the reference to his background. I doubt in 5 years time your average headline involving Pietersen will still be referring to him as South African born on a regular basis.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
King_Ponting said:
Fair enough, but it still stresses he's South-African born.

FaaipDeOiad said:
People are ignoring also that Symonds has been in the Australian team playing as an Australian for 5 or so years now. Pietersen has only played a couple of series, and Australians for the most part have never seen him before. Hence the reference to his background. I doubt in 5 years time your average headline involving Pietersen will still be referring to him as South African born on a regular basis.
Good point - but you would think the Australian media would be a little more wary of their pointed observations about the origins of England's players, especially this guy:

http://origin.foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,15690839-5000061,00.html

He's a little harsh, I think. It's over the top to suggest there's something wrong with non-English born players playing for England - if he'd said it about a black player such as Dean Headley (who obviously had West Indian roots) rather than Pietersen, then he'd be into dangerously racist territory.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The Australian media is one of the strongest in the world really getting on the opposition. However, it does respect the players who play well against Australia over a period of time.

This is the reason guys like Tendulkar and Laxman have so much of respect from them.

That said, I find most Australian cricket journalism some of the strongest, frank and best in the world, specially stuff like SMH and the many good aussie journalists.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
And if exported to England, they could save on packaging by marketing as one drop as Poms would never be able to tell the difference.
This Pom could.

Australian 'beer' differs inasmuch as it requires inverted commas to avoid contravening the trades descriptions act.

(walks off chanting 'one nil, one nil')

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Barney Rubble said:
Good point - but you would think the Australian media would be a little more wary of their pointed observations about the origins of England's players, especially this guy:

http://origin.foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,15690839-5000061,00.html

He's a little harsh, I think. It's over the top to suggest there's something wrong with non-English born players playing for England - if he'd said it about a black player such as Dean Headley (who obviously had West Indian roots) rather than Pietersen, then he'd be into dangerously racist territory.
Factually inaccurate too, Martin McCague was certainly Oz-raised, but he was born in Northern Ireland.

I think it's fairly tongue-in-cheek stuff tho, Australia's Rugby teams are never seen without the odd foreign-born player either.