• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

Scallywag

Banned
Hogg had a great game last night. I dont think England rate him very high but he has produced very immpressive figures against them.

Having played 7 games against England Hogg has bowled 59 overs conceeding only 237 runs at a very economical 4 runs per over. He also has picked up 11 wickets including Flintoff twice plus Hussian, Vaughan, Collingwood and Solanki. Although only needed to bat three times he has scored 82 runs and only been dismissed once. Proving to be a vital cog in the Australian team Hogg has averaged 35 with the bat and taken 32 wickets @ 25 in his last 20 matches.

Sorry Damien Martyn for suggesting we should leave you out. :)

Scallywag

Banned
Lee bowled 25 balls to the first four batsmen Trescothick 6 balls 0 runs, Strauss 9 balls 0 runs, Solanki 6 balls 0 runs, Flintff 4 balls 1 run.

Gough smashed Lee for 11 runs of 8 balls.

As FaaipDeOiad said you wont see much better opening fast bowling than that.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Just use your own eyes & judgement, it isn't that hard to see (unless you've got sunnies on and you're inside).
well firstly both are fairly inexperienced in international cricket, but Hussey has a better FC record than KP, Hussey also is better technically than KP. I would give Hussey the edge but the gap isn't huge.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Just use your own eyes & judgement, it isn't that hard to see (unless you've got sunnies on and you're inside).
I think Hussey is a better conventional sort of batsman, and has more potential at test level. In ODIs though, Pietersen is much more devastating.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
well firstly both are fairly inexperienced in international cricket, but Hussey has a better FC record than KP, Hussey also is better technically than KP. I would give Hussey the edge but the gap isn't huge.

I wouldn't say that Hussey is more technically correct than Pietersen. Pietersen gets in behind the ball and is very quick with his feet to always meet the ball, whereas Hussey sometimes tends to not get his front foot out far enough, especially to wider deliveries that he tries to drive and gets an edge, also although Hussey is good with backfoot shots, sometimes he doesn't get on top of the pull shot, in the times I've seen Pietersen plays the pull shot he's always on top of it or under it, which is what the best pullers do.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
I think Hussey is a better conventional sort of batsman, and has more potential at test level. In ODIs though, Pietersen is much more devastating.
For sure, if Hussey were to have a continual spot in tests and ODIs I'm sure he'd be your Mark Taylor, David Boon sought of batsman, but IMO he lacks that special spark or the thing that can never be described about the best of the best, like Waugh, Lara, Tendulkar, etal, whereas I think Pietersen has shown that spark when he has played at international level.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
I wouldn't say that Hussey is more technically correct than Pietersen. Pietersen gets in behind the ball and is very quick with his feet to always meet the ball, whereas Hussey sometimes tends to not get his front foot out far enough, especially to wider deliveries that he tries to drive and gets an edge, also although Hussey is good with backfoot shots, sometimes he doesn't get on top of the pull shot, in the times I've seen Pietersen plays the pull shot he's always on top of it or under it, which is what the best pullers do.
Interesting i haven't really observed that, but i still maintain that Hussey is a more sound batsman than KP, in test cricket i would think Hussey might be less exposed than KP would especially againts the moving ball.

Mister Wright

aussie said:
Interesting i haven't really observed that, but i still maintain that Hussey is a more sound batsman than KP, in test cricket i would think Hussey might be less exposed than KP would especially againts the moving ball.

All this stuff about batsmen getting exposed to the moving ball is a bit ridiculous, considering how little of it we see at international level these days. All batsman, especially opening batsman are going to be considered suspect to the moving ball, because it is just that - a moving ball, if you are really that bad, you will get found out, not score many runs and that's it - career over. But, if you are good enough than the odd poor innings against the moving ball is going to happen, nobody is perfect and therefore no-one will ever not get out to the moving ball. So if you compare Pietersen, who has superior footwork to that of Hussey over a long period of time Pietersen should come out on top.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
All this stuff about batsmen getting exposed to the moving ball is a bit ridiculous, considering how little of it we see at international level these days. All batsman, especially opening batsman are going to be considered suspect to the moving ball, because it is just that - a moving ball, if you are really that bad, you will get found out, not score many runs and that's it - career over. But, if you are good enough than the odd poor innings against the moving ball is going to happen, nobody is perfect and therefore no-one will ever not get out to the moving ball. So if you compare Pietersen, who has superior footwork to that of Hussey over a long period of time Pietersen should come out on top.
i dont agree that KP has a better technique than KP mate, i have seen enough of them in the last 5 months to come to that conclusion. I know that when Hussey goes to drive outside off-stump he sometimes just waves the wand and edges but that only sometimes, other than that every other aspect of his technique is quite solid.

KP on the other hand initial moves across his stumps and exposes to off-stump exposing the part of the middle stump and the whole leg stump. He strides foward but not that much and based on what i have seen i think KP technique is more faulty than Hussey's thus could have some problems in test cricket.

Mister Wright

aussie said:
i dont agree that KP has a better technique than KP mate, i have seen enough of them in the last 5 months to come to that conclusion. I know that when Hussey goes to drive outside off-stump he sometimes just waves the wand and edges but that only sometimes, other than that every other aspect of his technique is quite solid.

KP on the other hand initial moves across his stumps and exposes to off-stump exposing the part of the middle stump and the whole leg stump. He strides foward but not that much and based on what i have seen i think KP technique is more faulty than Hussey's thus could have some problems in test cricket.

Which KP is better than which KP? :p

KP may move accross his stumps, but you can do that when you have the raw power and eye - his big plus is he gets in behind the ball, as long as his feet are in the right position and his head is above the ball when he makes contact with the bat, he's fine. He can expose his stumps as much as he wants, but his technique is good enough, that he will rarely miss the ball - and as long as you hit it, you can expose as many stumps as you want. I don't know his stats on how many times he's been bowled, but I'd say with his technique and ability it would be rarely. I will agree that he's not an attractive batsman (in the sense of elegance) but you don't need to be, to be a good batsman.

Blaze

Banned
Scaly piscine said:
On that pitch there's no such thing as unplayable for 6 overs. McGrath bowled rubbish in his first over and got away with it. There were virtually no singles taken at all, in fact England were pretty poor at that all game (Australia only hit one more boundary than England did).

As for Solanki and Flintoff, Solanki was pretty poor really - even slower than Vaughan. Flintoff was decent but threw it away as usual, the blind six or out stuff is just not going to succeed.

You are what's wrong with sports fans

Sylvester

State Captain
I would say Hussey is the better batsmen but i havent seen much of KP. KP is more like Cairns and Gilchrist very explosive. KP has had the better start to ODI with 3 100s and a number of 50s but Hussey doesn't bat as high.

Mister Wright

Sylvester said:
I would say Hussey is the better batsmen but i havent seen much of KP. KP is more like Cairns and Gilchrist very explosive. KP has had the better start to ODI with 3 100s and a number of 50s but Hussey doesn't bat as high.
I thought KP & Hussey bat around the same spot - 5,6,7.

KP is definitely more technically correct than Gilchrist, Cairns also had a pretty good technique, but often gets looked over because he was such a big hitter. If you look at the history of big hitters, with the odd exception they all have/had very good defensive techniques, Viv Richards was one, Cairns is another and from what I've seen of KP he is in the same mould.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
do remember though that Hussey usually opens the batting in 4/5 day cricket where he has proved time and time again that he can bat for a very very very very long time.

Mister Wright

age_master said:
do remember though that Hussey usually opens the batting in 4/5 day cricket where he has proved time and time again that he can bat for a very very very very long time.
That's fine, were talking about technique, and IMO KP has a better technique than Hussey, I'm not denying Hussey's class, nor his ability, but he does have those two glaring deficincies I noted earlier, and the little that I have seen of KP, he seems to be solid in all areas - outside off stump, off his legs, on the front foot and on the back foot. Hussey does have that problem on his pull shot and to the widish ball angling accross him.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Pietersen - he's a better batsman.

or not. Hussey wont bat any higher up the order and might get a game off too so its hard to say, he could easily come in and make another 20 or 30 not out too.

Pieterson if far more likley to bat every game for mine and his average will have more chance to go down.

lets also not forget Husseys record in English domestic cricket.