• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Jasprit Bumrah fanboying thread

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
One great thing about Bumrah is his record against the strong teams.

In the current era SENAI have been the good teams.

He averages 21 against Aus, 20 against Eng and 21 against SA. Only bad record is 47 against NZ (3 matches tho).

9 against SL. 9 against WI (missed 2023 series)

Never played Bang (missed 2019/2022 series). Also hasn't played Pak which is one of the weaker teams.

If he played those series might have a 18-19 average.

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
that will trigger many wasim akram fans
it might but bumrah has better quality compared to wasim/waqar quantity.

Bumrah has almost exclusively played SENA who are the strong teams - 22.12 average against them

4 matches against SL/WI against whom he averages 9.13 so he can minnow bash if need be - just hasn't had the opportunities.

Wasim against SA, Aus, WI, Eng, Ind - 26.09 with a very good record only against WI
Against SL, NZ, Zim and Bang - 20.07

Waqar against SA, Aus, WI, Eng, Ind - 28.31 with a very good record only against WI
Against SL, NZ, Zim and Bang - 19.70

Salamuddin

International Debutant
it might but bumrah has better quality compared to wasim/waqar quantity.

Bumrah has almost exclusively played SENA who are the strong teams - 22.12 average against them

4 matches against SL/WI against whom he averages 9.13 so he can minnow bash if need be - just hasn't had the opportunities.

Wasim against SA, Aus, WI, Eng, Ind - 26.09 with a very good record only against WI
Against SL, NZ, Zim and Bang - 20.07

Waqar against SA, Aus, WI, Eng, Ind - 28.31 with a very good record only against WI
Against SL, NZ, Zim and Bang - 19.70
Agreed with this. He is imo better than Wasim and Waqar who were both a bit overrated like most subcontinental high profile players to be fair. Both of Indias series wins in Australia featured significant Bumrah contributions.

it’s really only a question of is he better than Imran for the status of Asias best quick. I never saw imran at his peak so not venturing an opinion there. Perhaps @Slifer or @wpdavid might be able to comment on that comparison.

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
Agreed with this. He is imo better than Wasim and Waqar who were both a bit overrated like most subcontinental high profile players to be fair. Both of Indias series wins in Australia featured significant Bumrah contributions.

it’s really only a question of is he better than Imran for the status of Asias best quick. I never saw imran at his peak so not venturing an opinion there. Perhaps @Slifer or @wpdavid might be able to comment on that comparison.
Both Wasim and Imran will still pip him in a Asia XI cause of their batting but Bumrah will be the 3rd seamer ahead of Waqar.

Flem274*

123/5
Nah come on, the website that never shuts the **** up about longevity (therefore ranking the likes of Chatfield or Southee ahead of anyone remotely spicy) does not get to put Bumrah above Wasim ****ing Akram just yet.

Come on. I love Bumrah but when comparing guys of equal generational talent, longevity does factor in.

James

Cricket Web Owner
does not get to put Bumrah above Wasim ****ing Akram just yet.
Reminds me when Brian Lara said he ranked Wasim Akram as the best bowler he faced by a mile, and we all know the collection of fantastic bowlers Lara faced through-out his career.

Bumrah as you say, no where near Akram, as yet anyway like you say.

Coronis

International Coach
Is that the best path to 150 wickets in modern cricket history? I’d imagine Waqar is up there, but I don’t think I’ve seen anything quite like Bumrah.
Bumrah 34 matches 155 wickets @ 20.19 44.5 SR, 10 5’fers 0 10’fers
Waqar 27 matches 154 wickets @ 18.35 35.8 SR, 16 5’fers 3 10’fers

Other notables in modern times (I’m assuming the qualifier is post 70’s and I’m sticking to pacers here)

Botham 29 matches 151 wickets @ 19.39 45.6 SR, 14 5’fers 3 10’fers
Steyn 29 matches 150 wickets @ 22.66 37.6 SR, 11 5’fers 3 10’fers
Lillee 31 matches 160 wickets @ 24.07 52.5 SR, 10 5’fers 3 10’fers
Rabada 31 matches 150 wickets @ 21.21 38.4 SR, 9 5’fers 4 10’fers
Cummins 31 matches 150 wickets @ 21.26 46.3 SR, 5 5’fers, 1 10’fer

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah come on, the website that never shuts the **** up about longevity (therefore ranking the likes of Chatfield or Southee ahead of anyone remotely spicy) does not get to put Bumrah above Wasim ****ing Akram just yet.

Come on. I love Bumrah but when comparing guys of equal generational talent, longevity does factor in.
2 good posts today. I shudder to think what the law of averages holds for us now.

Slifer

International Captain
Not the best at math, so what type of figures would Bumrah have to get in the next test to take his overall average to sub 20??

Slifer

International Captain
And agreed with the sentiment that Bumrah needs a few more matches before we can hail him as the best of anything. I hope his body holds up. And bowlers, especially fast bowlers do normally fade in their later stages. Let's see how Jasprit goes....

Ali TT

International Regular
I think I'm with those saying we've got to hold our horses before judging Bumrah. To be judged alongside the Ws, Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh, McGrath, Steyn, Donald and so on, he's going to have to double his wicket tally and keep his average at 21 +/-1.

Slifer

International Captain
I think I'm with those saying we've got to hold our horses before judging Bumrah. To be judged alongside the Ws, Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh, McGrath, Steyn, Donald and so on, he's going to have to double his wicket tally and keep his average at 21 +/-1.
Yes. 200-250 wkts would be a nice start.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Exact figures....
He'd have to take his next 45 wickets at 19.3 to end up with an average just under 20. That would take him to 200 wickets @ 19.9 overall. Or the next 95 at 19.6 takes him to 250 @ 19.9