• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Jasprit Bumrah fanboying thread

smash84

The Tiger King
Is he already top 5 pacer from SC though?

I think it's already Imran, Ws, then Bumrah. Whoever else you put at #4 I think he'll overtake soon.
Yep, same for mine.

Imran
Wasim
Waqar
Bumrah

Greatest Asian fast bowlers of all time in that order.

And bumrah is not too far from overtaking Waqar IMO.

Very humble and likeable guy too

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
Wasim won Pak that WC though. Bumrah had an equally good chance a few months ago but couldn't quite do it. Doubt he's coming close again.

Anyway, he has 36 wickets in 6 Tests in India at an avg of 13. That is just obscene. Imagine if he plays throughout this series and ends up with thirty wickets. Would that be greater than Imran's 40 wickets against India in '82? Let's waive the umpiring caveat for the moment.
Naah

That is a team performance thing. Bumrah had a great WC and was also good in the final. India scored too few.

Also ODI WCs are not a metric for comparing test performances.

Zaheer Khan has an ODI WC where he contributed a lot (and good performances in all three KOs).

Waqar, Steyn, Ambrose never won one.

In fact in their biggest WC match ever (96 QF and 15 SF) both Waqar and Steyn were smashed around.

Even Marshall only "won" 79 by being in the squad. He didn't play a single match. The biggest WC match of his career he couldn't win (83 final).

No one would consider Zaheer to be in their tier.

Last edited:

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
Yep, it looks difficult to go past Imran and Wasim, but very likely to surpass Waqar if he maintains the same quality till the end of his career (I'll become a massive fanboy if he does).
Might go above Imran and Wasim as a pure bowler but then their batting shades it for them.

Will be the third pacer in an Asia XI though.

Spark

Global Moderator
idk about this particular eg but sports people in general tend to have very myopic views about rating fellow players or previous greats comparatively or on a ranking. see Messi winning the latest fifa award as an eg
That was journalists, not players

Spark

Global Moderator
nah the Ballon d’Or is the award by journalists

this one is by the national team captains and managers
Oh I thought that was what you were referring to. I mean I agree that players may not necessarily be following the game as closely around the world as some fans. But I'm pretty confident in saying that great batsmen are better placed than basically anyone to judge the qualities of bowlers whom they actually faced in person at the highest level. It doesn't mean they're infallible but their views should absolutely be given more weight than randos with Statsguru.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
Reminds me when Brian Lara said he ranked Wasim Akram as the best bowler he faced by a mile, and we all know the collection of fantastic bowlers Lara faced through-out his career.

Bumrah as you say, no where near Akram, as yet anyway like you say.
Bumrah probably won't get to Wasim Akram's level either ever. Still a good bowler though. But once again highlights that very very strong era that Lara player in...the 1990s/early-mid 2000s....such a strong era of world cricket.

Imagine Lara playing currently/past decade....