• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Jasprit Bumrah fanboying thread

Ali TT

International Regular
Should add he is obviously an ace bowler and always comes across as a nice bloke who just loves playing cricket.

Bolo.

International Captain
Reminds me when Brian Lara said he ranked Wasim Akram as the best bowler he faced by a mile, and we all know the collection of fantastic bowlers Lara faced through-out his career.

Bumrah as you say, no where near Akram, as yet anyway like you say.
Wasim got Lara out twice in 7 tests. Other Pak players got him more. NVM someone like Mcgrath who got him something like 16 times, or Donald, who he often was out of his depth against.

I think bats are extremely unreliable public commentators on the best bowlers they have faced. A number of them seem to pick well regarded bowlers who they did fine against.

A number of them also pick bowlers who they disliked facing rather than the ones best at getting them out. See how many people said Morkel (who played with Steyn) was the bowler they least liked facing.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think bats are extremely unreliable public commentators on the best bowlers they have faced. A number of them seem to pick well regarded bowlers who they did fine against.
This is such a CW opinion but one that I think is pretty obviously absurd. Of course Brian Lara knows leagues more about how difficult Wasim etc was to face than us reading stats. There is so much inherent randomness to these tiny sample sizes that it's entirely possible to the point of being unremarkable that the worse bowler can be the one who gets you out more often over the course of ten games or so.

Socerer 01

International Captain
This is such a CW opinion but one that I think is pretty obviously absurd. Of course Brian Lara knows leagues more about how difficult Wasim etc was to face than us reading stats. There is so much inherent randomness to these tiny sample sizes that it's entirely possible to the point of being unremarkable that the worse bowler can be the one who gets you out more often over the course of ten games or so.
idk about this particular eg but sports people in general tend to have very myopic views about rating fellow players or previous greats comparatively or on a ranking. see Messi winning the latest fifa award as an eg

Gavaskar

Cricket Spectator
Based on his stats he has played 4 matches combined vs Windies and Sri Lanka and got 23 wickets at an average of 9. in theory another 8 matches vs them alone would take him to 201 wickets at a career average of 17. Hes the one indian player in history that deserves to stat pad the most but stat pads the least due to how important he is across 3 formats and his IPL franchise (stupid i know but thats the way the world works now.)

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Wasim won Pak that WC though. Bumrah had an equally good chance a few months ago but couldn't quite do it. Doubt he's coming close again.

Anyway, he has 36 wickets in 6 Tests in India at an avg of 13. That is just obscene. Imagine if he plays throughout this series and ends up with thirty wickets. Would that be greater than Imran's 40 wickets against India in '82? Let's waive the umpiring caveat for the moment.

Gob

International Coach
Based on his stats he has played 4 matches combined vs Windies and Sri Lanka and got 23 wickets at an average of 9. in theory another 8 matches vs them alone would take him to 201 wickets at a career average of 17. Hes the one indian player in history that deserves to stat pad the most but stat pads the least due to how important he is across 3 formats and his IPL franchise (stupid i know but thats the way the world works now.)
Hmm sounds like you don't rate the Windies. Interesting hmm

Slifer

International Captain
Hmm sounds like you don't rate the Windies. Interesting hmm
The WI bowling yes, the WI batting is not up to test standards. It's the worst I've ever seen. Worst than any of the traditional test teams I've seen in my lifetime of watching cricket 80s til now. Traditional test teams fwiw are: Aus, Eng, Pak, Nz, Ind, WI, Rsa.

Slifer

International Captain
Wasim won Pak that WC though. Bumrah had an equally good chance a few months ago but couldn't quite do it. Doubt he's coming close again.

Anyway, he has 36 wickets in 6 Tests in India at an avg of 13. That is just obscene. Imagine if he plays throughout this series and ends up with thirty wickets. Would that be greater than Imran's 40 wickets against India in '82? Let's waive the umpiring caveat for the moment.
Honestly though, if I'm India and they take a 3-1 lead with one test left, I'd rest Jasprit.

Shri

Mr. Glass
The WI bowling yes, the WI batting is not up to test standards. It's the worst I've ever seen. Worst than any of the traditional test teams I've seen in my lifetime of watching cricket 80s til now. Traditional test teams fwiw are: Aus, Eng, Pak, Nz, Ind, WI, Rsa.
windies batting still better than bangladesh

Bolo.

International Captain
On CW, we rate players according to different criteria to players. Fair play to the many guys who said they would rather face Steyn than Morkel. I'm sure I'd agree. But on CW, it's about how good they are at getting someone out.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Donald, who he often was out of his depth against.
He got him out a lot of times but I recall him jumping down the track and smacking him often too. If anything, that hubris is what got him against Donald than any great skill on Donald's part.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dont think Bumrah is above the Ws or Imran yet. Maybe he can surpass Waqar quickly as Waqar had a lot of home bashing in his record too but to surpass the other two he would have to play a LOT longer.

Kirkut

International Regular
But aren't we talking about test performances here? In CW, players are only rated on their test performances. If we include ODIs, then Marshall becomes the third greatest fast bowler after Wasim and McGrath.

Kirkut

International Regular
I dont think Bumrah is above the Ws or Imran yet. Maybe he can surpass Waqar quickly as Waqar had a lot of home bashing in his record too but to surpass the other two he would have to play a LOT longer.
Yep, it looks difficult to go past Imran and Wasim, but very likely to surpass Waqar if he maintains the same quality till the end of his career (I'll become a massive fanboy if he does).