• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India's Tour of Australia 2020/21 - General discussion

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
When you travel between states there's also chances for infection.
how is it any different than when you travel from hotel to ground? And as far as I know, players were moved around in Chartered flights. There were proposals to air-lift them from ground to ground at one stage.

Window

U19 Debutant
Why is the QLD government considered to be stubborn? Just because they're imposing the same 14 day quarantine rule they've imposed on everyone else? I know people who've had to quarantine back to back when they flew back from NZ to NSW then to WA because they had a medical emergency. This is not a new rule.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Why is the QLD government considered to be stubborn? Just because they're imposing the same 14 day quarantine rule they've imposed on everyone else?
Because they are not acting on actual evaluation of the risks, and that quarantine is not on everyone else. That is (or was, given things seem to be changing hourly at the moment) a requirement only for people coming in from Sydney coz they had a outbreak in one area of that city. These players have not been near that area, and will have been in a hotel to ground quarantine through their stay in Sydney, and having been tested multiple times over the past couple of months, pose virtually no risk of transmitting the virus, given they are going to be in a bubble again in Brisbane, just a less constricting one was expected, and would have been provided, had they flown in directly from Melbourne, for example.

CA wanted to host the 3rd test in Sydney come what may and that is the reason they have not shut down the BCCI's request unilaterally. If CA decided to play the 3rd test in Melbourne too, then there will have been no issues in the teams moving with the same bubble restrictions to Brisbane for the 4th test.

BCCI helped out CA by agreeing to play the Sydney test under stricter quarantine regulations than what was initially agreed when the tour schedule was finalized. So they are asking CA to help them out by getting them a less stricter quarantine in Brisbane. And given the evidence, there is actually very little to no risk in allowing them that kind of a bubble setup.

My biggest gripe is the fact that BCCI waited till this last moment to bring it up officially. There is nothing wrong if the players felt they cant play under this type of arrangement for two tests. But it should have been communicated immediately to CA and maybe they would have let the 3rd test happen in Melbourne itself. Which is why I feel BCCI should take most of the blame for this right now.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As far as I can tell, this story hasn't changed and it's being made to seem much more than it is.

When it first came out, the issue was that India didn't want to do a hard quarantine, that is, locked inside your room except playing and training. that is absolutely fair enough. fairly quickly after this, it seems CA and QLD agreed to allow players into certain areas of the hotel, so no more hard quarantine. Now it seems India just wants that in writing*, which again, fair enough, surprised it wasn't already. I wouldn't trust the QLD government to not revoke that rule either. I think this is a whole lot of hot air. India's requests are entirely reasonable, but for some reason it's been dripped out bit by bit by BCCI sources. like a lot of Covid stuff in aus recently, this just feels like a big overreaction (but poorly handled by the BCCI)

*"Veteran cricket scribe Robert Craddock said Cricket Australia had told the Indian team they would be able to mingle at the hotel, but the visitors want it in writing because of concern police will be stationed outside their rooms like they were during their initial quarantine."

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As far as I can tell, this story hasn't changed and it's being made to seem much more than it is.

When it first came out, the issue was that India didn't want to do a hard quarantine, that is, locked inside your room except playing and training. that is absolutely fair enough. fairly quickly after this, it seems CA and QLD agreed to allow players into certain areas of the hotel, so no more hard quarantine. Now it seems India just wants that in writing*, which again, fair enough, surprised it wasn't already. I wouldn't trust the QLD government to not revoke that rule either. I think this is a whole lot of hot air. India's requests are entirely reasonable, but for some reason it's been dripped out bit by bit by BCCI sources. like a lot of Covid stuff in aus recently, this just feels like a big overreaction (but poorly handled by the BCCI)

*"Veteran cricket scribe Robert Craddock said Cricket Australia had told the Indian team they would be able to mingle at the hotel, but the visitors want it in writing because of concern police will be stationed outside their rooms like they were during their initial quarantine."
The argument also seems to be, from the Indian side, that if it was to be a hard quarantine (even a hotel quarantine) in Brisbane, they should be allowed to move more freely at least in Sydney. Seems like CA bargained that Queensland Govt. will give them the same rules as non-Sydney visitors if they did a hotel quarantine during the Sydney test and that has not come to pass.

I really dont think the objections raised are unreasonable at all, just that it must have happened way way earlier than it is. If it is indeed just to get a written confirmation, then fair enough.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Hey but you failed to mention how Indian players are whingers and prima donnas

Window

U19 Debutant
Because they are not acting on actual evaluation of the risks, and that quarantine is not on everyone else. That is (or was, given things seem to be changing hourly at the moment) a requirement only for people coming in from Sydney coz they had a outbreak in one area of that city. These players have not been near that area, and will have been in a hotel to ground quarantine through their stay in Sydney, and having been tested multiple times over the past couple of months, pose virtually no risk of transmitting the virus, given they are going to be in a bubble again in Brisbane, just a less constricting one was expected, and would have been provided, had they flown in directly from Melbourne, for example.

CA wanted to host the 3rd test in Sydney come what may and that is the reason they have not shut down the BCCI's request unilaterally. If CA decided to play the 3rd test in Melbourne too, then there will have been no issues in the teams moving with the same bubble restrictions to Brisbane for the 4th test.

BCCI helped out CA by agreeing to play the Sydney test under stricter quarantine regulations than what was initially agreed when the tour schedule was finalized. So they are asking CA to help them out by getting them a less stricter quarantine in Brisbane. And given the evidence, there is actually very little to no risk in allowing them that kind of a bubble setup.

My biggest gripe is the fact that BCCI waited till this last moment to bring it up officially. There is nothing wrong if the players felt they cant play under this type of arrangement for two tests. But it should have been communicated immediately to CA and maybe they would have let the 3rd test happen in Melbourne itself. Which is why I feel BCCI should take most of the blame for this right now.
That 14 days quarantine requirement was imposed the QLD government to all people traveling from the Greater Sydney area on 21st December, not just the Northern Beaches. Additional cases were detected outside the Northern beaches suburbs around this time (and in more suburbs since then), so transmission is not limited to just that specific part of the city.

I guess it's fair to say that it's unlikely players would have been infected while in Sydney as they've been in a bubble and isolated within the hotel. However the same holds true for local Australians who moved between multiple states during the hard border restrictions earlier this year, yet they had to quarantine for 14 days in a hotel back to back in both states. As I said, I know someone who had to do this when flying in from NZ to NSW then to WA. So even if any transmission risk to the team during travel can controlled using chartered flights, the government is being consistent with rules they've applied and enforced through out the year in asking the teams to quarantine again. I suppose a special exemption could be granted by the QLD government if CA and BCCI can demonstrate no risk of exposure in the past 14 days at time of arrival. That would be both a health based but also political decision however, due to possible pushback the government may get from it. The border restrictions are being used to score political points for sure, but I've begrudgingly accepted them due to the possible health risks. In any case this all a bit irrelevant as Greater Brisbane is currently under strict lockdown for three days, with people only allowed to leave their houses for essential purposes. It's highly unlikely the QLD government will grant any exemptions at this time, who knows if local restrictions will stay relaxed by the time the teams get there or if they will be back up. And that's the nature of COVID really, there's been cycles of easing and tightening of restrictions throughout the year. For BCCI and the Indian team to expect the initial COVID managements rules to stay in place throughout the whole tour, regardless of the changing situation is unreasonable and naive. They should have expected and have been ready for this.

I'm also not getting this framing of India going ahead with the tour as some sort of favour to CA. I would hope the players, management and the fans all want the games to be played. The restrictions imposed are not all that unreasonable for them to consider this as a favour to CA. I suppose the tour could have been altered to reduce the number of venues so that multiple quarantine periods weren't required but that should have been discussed at the start of the tour, not now. Demanding this at the last minute is a bad look. If all they're seeking is permission to have free movement within the hotel in writing, then that's fair. Could have managed it a lot better than threatening to not travel at all and using language like "being in jail" though.

Last edited:

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Probably apocryphal but I've read somewhere that Steve Waugh used to not only be immune to sledges from opposition, but actually relish those and build it into his motivation while batting. So much that in one Ashes match, English think tank decided to be really quiet when he came onto bat. Waugh noticed this after a few balls and apparently informed the cordon that if they weren't going to raise a muckrack, he'd start sledging himself, and apparently talked to himself through that innings

Looks like what started off as a Kumbaya Party of bosom friends has irked BCCI and it is inventing ways to spice this up.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That 14 days quarantine requirement was imposed the QLD government to all people traveling from the Greater Sydney area on 21st December, not just the Northern Beaches. Additional cases were detected outside the Northern beaches suburbs around this time (and in more suburbs since then), so transmission is not limited to just that specific part of the city.

I guess it's fair to say that it's unlikely players would have been infected while in Sydney as they've been in a bubble and isolated within the hotel. However the same holds true for local Australians who moved between multiple states during the hard border restrictions earlier this year, yet they had to quarantine for 14 days in a hotel back to back in both states. As I said, I know someone who had to do this when flying in from NZ to NSW then to WA. So even if any transmission risk to the team during travel can controlled using chartered flights, the government is being consistent with rules they've applied and enforced through out the year in asking the teams to quarantine again. I suppose a special exemption could be granted by the QLD government if CA and BCCI can demonstrate no risk of exposure in the past 14 days at time of arrival. That would be both a health based but also political decision however, due to possible pushback the government may get from it. The border restrictions are being used to score political points for sure, but I've begrudgingly accepted them due to the possible health risks. In any case this all a bit irrelevant as Greater Brisbane is currently under strict lockdown for three days, with people only allowed to leave their houses for essential purposes. It's highly unlikely the QLD government will grant any exemptions at this time, who knows if local restrictions will stay relaxed by the time the teams get there or if they will be back up. And that's the nature of COVID really, there's been cycles of easing and tightening of restrictions throughout the year. For BCCI and the Indian team to expect the initial COVID managements rules to stay in place throughout the whole tour, regardless of the changing situation is unreasonable and naive. They should have expected and have been ready for this.

I'm also not getting this framing of India going ahead with the tour as some sort of favour to CA. I would hope the players, management and the fans all want to play the game. The restrictions imposed are not all that unreasonable for them to consider this as a favour to CA. I suppose the tour could have been altered to reduce the number of venues so that multiple quarantine periods weren't required but that should have been discussed at the start of the tour, not now. Demanding this at the last minute is a bad look. If all they're seeking is permission to have free movement within the hotel in writing, then that's fair. Could have managed it a lot better than threatening to not travel at all and use language like "being in jail" though.
You are missing the point though. I have already laid out why the quarantine rule being stuck as it is, is just that state's government being stubborn. That is just obvious. Being consistent is not always a good thing, especially when the point in question is about the level of exemption being granted. It has to be based on proper risk and situation assessment and to me, neither has happened here. But like I said, if that is what the Government has mandated, then that's that. I just dont see why it should be exempt from any factual criticism. That is all.

As far as the second point goes, whether anyone likes it or not, any team that tours some other team in these times is in fact doing the host board a favor. And the restrictions imposed are unreasonable from their perspective because it means there is no point in the team doing a hotel quarantine in Sydney at all. I think CA promised BCCI that if they do hotel quarantine in Sydney, they will get exemption and do a normal bio-bubble in Brisbane and that has not happened.

Irrespective of the rhetoric and the different ways we seem to perceive the same happenings, it looks like @Spikey s post was the most on-point of us all. BCCI seem to want a written confirmation that the hotel quarantine is how it will be. And if that is all that is being asked, then surely there is no issue at all here. But, given the situation in Brisbane seems to be getting tighter by the day, there should be a good chance the game gets moved outside Queensland anyways.

Last edited: