• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India's Tour of Australia 2020/21 - General discussion

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
After the spate of injuries, I think either team will be stupid not to pepper the other with short balls. Of course, it cannot be overdone and they have to be smart about it but I expect plenty of bouncers from either side and batsmen are not going to find this fun, especially under lights.
I think overdoing the short stuff under lights would be a massive mistake, given it does a fair bit when it's pitched up.

cnerd123

likes this
the pink ball goes soft quick, so they're definitely going to try bouncers under lights once the shine wears off.

I have more faith in the bowling attack performing decently than I do in the batting. Having said that, it's extremely possible that both Umesh and Ashwin go missing for large periods of time. Smith and Labu could kill us.

Burgey

Have you seen what it does under lights? Look, bang it in if you want, believe me as an Australian supporter I hope India does so for the entire last session each night Australia is batting.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
All false bravado type posting aside, I am just hoping for genuinely good games of cricket that go into the last day with either side capable of winning, like the first 4 tests against England were. We lost them 3-1 but we had very real possibilities of winning each of those 4 games even going into the last day or day and a half. If we perform to that level, I will be happy.

Still think we will surprisingly do very well in the tests. Lets see.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Have you seen what it does under lights? Look, bang it in if you want, believe me as an Australian supporter I hope India does so for the entire last session each night Australia is batting.
I did say there is a danger of overdoing it for either side. But even if they bowl only the odd bouncer, it will be tough for the batters under the lights, which was my point. Bowling two good bouncers an over is hardly overdoing the short stuff as long as they can pitch it up the rest of the time. And even that would be very tough for the batsmen under lights, from either side tbh.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I did say there is a danger of overdoing it for either side. But even if they bowl only the odd bouncer, it will be tough for the batters under the lights, which was my point. Bowling two good bouncers an over is hardly overdoing the short stuff as long as they can pitch it up the rest of the time. And even that would be very tough for the batsmen under lights, from either side tbh.
Two bouncers an over is definitely too many bouncers under lights IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
depends on if it's still moving really. No point bowling bouncers if you can get swing, but once the ball goes old and soft I can see it being a legit strategy.
It always moves under lights though.

I suppose if the ball is ~40 overs old it might be okay, but I'd be looking for 2 bouncers every three overs in other circumstances, tops.

cnerd123

likes this
It always moves under lights though.

I suppose if the ball is ~40 overs old it might be okay, but I'd be looking for 2 bouncers every three overs, tops.
Yea this is where you employ the short ball strategy. Have many bowlers/sides managed to get any reverse with the old pink ball?

cnerd123

likes this
Still think we will surprisingly do very well in the tests. Lets see.
Our players are coming off a glut of limited overs cricket, with barely any training time around that due to Covid. Australia meanwhile have at least had a semblance of a domestic season, are playing at home, and have Smith and Labu. We're gonna get rekt

cnerd123

likes this
All of India bowlers have had a 3-day practice match, as have all of your batsmen bar Kohli
that really means a lot less than you think it does

Interesting the Cummins and Haze haven't played any FC cricket recently tho. Shouldn't take them long to hit their straps, but does give India a bit of a chance of seeing off the new ball.

Burgey

Two cases of community transmission on the Northern Beaches of Sydney just discovered this afternoon. Hopefully they contain this and the test doesn't have to be moved. If it does, would obviously be to Perth.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Two cases of community transmission on the Northern Beaches of Sydney just discovered this afternoon. Hopefully they contain this and the test doesn't have to be moved. If it does, would obviously be to Perth.
Test in Sydney is over 3 weeks away so plenty of time to contain it hopefully ( or play in Canberra). As for Perth, ****em, they deserve no cricket with their 'we don't want the rest of Australia' border closure crap.

Last edited: