• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sure but ideally you'd want both kinds of batsmen to put the opposition under all sorts of pressure by tiring the bowlers AND keeping the scoreboard ticking, making the bowlers question themselves etc
Well ideally I'd want six Bradmans in the top six....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Seriously? Much better? Hughes averaged 37 with 9 centuries in 67 matches. Pujara averages about 50 with 17 centuries in the same number of matches...

It's a different era and all that and if you prefer one over the other, fair play to you. I'm not going to argue. But much better? Come on.

Unless you're talking about ODIs, in which case yeah - Pujara has played 5 ODIs.
yeah i was thinking the same thing when i saw that...ian chappell fine but kim hughes, no way is he better than pujara in terms of accomplishments...he was a very naturally talented batsman and you can say there was a lot of wasted potential there but in terms of what they achieved in their careers, pujara is already ahead...

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I came to enjoy Chappell's commentary by the end on Nine, possibly only by comparison to the other Nine guys because he actually watched and researched overseas cricket, but three recurring themes of his commentary almost seemed to me as if he was trying to indirectly big himself up.

1. "The best batsman in the team should bat #3" -- because he batted #3, and he likes to think he was the best batsman in his team
2. "A #3 should look to bat with intent and take on the bowlers" -- because he did that, and if others from other teams/eras didn't then they weren't true number #3s and therefore not the best batsmen in their side (see point #1), reducing his competition
3. Good captaincy is massively undervalued and can have an even bigger influence on the fortunes of a team than we already credit it with -- because he was a captain for a period, and he likes to think his team would've only won half as often if someone else was during that period

If you took on all his cricketing philosophies you couldn't help but come to the conclusion that Ian Chappell was most of the best cricketers of all time. What an amazing coincidence.
To be fair I read an article by him which said Root shouldn't bat #3 if he's not good at it as best batsman batting #3 is a leftover philosophy from Bradman's time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To be fair I read an article by him which said Root shouldn't bat #3 if he's not good at it as best batsman batting #3 is a leftover philosophy from Bradman's time.
Yeah he contradicts his blanket statements on a case by case often enough, which is I think part of why I can actually stand him. He only believes those things in abstract.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Seriously? Much better? Hughes averaged 37 with 9 centuries in 67 matches. Pujara averages about 50 with 17 centuries in the same number of matches...

It's a different era and all that and if you prefer one over the other, fair play to you. I'm not going to argue. But much better? Come on.

Unless you're talking about ODIs, in which case yeah - Pujara has played 5 ODIs.
Kim Hughes played his last 10 tests against the WI at their peak and it destroyed his average. He was a fantastic batsman to watch before that

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah, I still think India should have gone with 3 pacers.
No spinners for Perth but two for Sydney absolutely reeks of buying into urban legends. Sydney is one of the least spin-friendly grounds in the world and has been for years; I'm not seeing anything drastically different about this one to change my mind on that yet.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Kohli knocking the ball around against his bat while the Aussies are walking out.

Warner, Haddon and Mitch Johnson must be barking at the TV