• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Four of your Top 5 batsmen being lefties looks a serious liability. Trouble is they're the four batsmen who's place in the team looks the most solid....
Nah, being not good enough Test batsmen is a serious liability

If they were Langer, Hayden, Border & Hussey it wouldn't be a problem

halba

International 12th Man
game over. aussies to lose the test on day 4. and rightly so. the batting sucks on paper, even worse in real life.

morgieb

Nah, being not good enough Test batsmen is a serious liability

If they were Langer, Hayden, Border & Hussey it wouldn't be a problem
Yeah this is true. I'm more saying that a right-handed batsman of comparable ability might be faring better.

TheJediBrah

I meant more like "would it have hit the stumps". Was full enough it probably was but I felt there was a possible chance it might have slid down leg.
I think midwinter is saying that if it hits on the full then it doesn't matter if it was sliding down or not, as long as it hits in line with the stumps, it's out

Not sure if that is still the rule but it sounds right

morgieb

I think midwinter is saying that if it hits on the full then it doesn't matter if it was sliding down or not, as long as it hits in line with the stumps, it's out

Not sure if that is still the rule but it sounds right
That makes zero sense given that the most important part of an LBW shout is whether the ball is hitting the stumps.....

TheJediBrah

Thank you for sparing me, fearsome one
No worries. You seem like a good kid, I don't want to be responsible for inflicting that kind of trauma

That makes zero sense given that the most important part of an LBW shout is whether the ball is hitting the stumps.....
***** to comment

As I said I'm not sure if that's the rule or not but it definitely sounds familiar

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Weirdest interpretation of the LBW rule, that.

Treat the ball as if it continues on its current trajectory, as with any other LBW decision.

EDIT:
NSWCUSA's Technical Interpretations from 2009:
"If it does not pitch, the umpire has no alternative to rule that the ball after impact would have continued along the same line it was travelling before impact."
(http://nswcusa.nsw.cricket.com.au/files/15548/files/hows that/lbw tutorial.pdf)

And Law 36.2.3:
"In assessing point 36.1.5 [i.e. whether it was hitting the stumps], it is to be assumed that the path of the ball before interception would have continued after interception, irrespective of whether the ball might have pitched subsequently or not."
(https://www.lords.org/mcc/laws/leg-before-wicket)

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
sounds like the kind of garbage spewed by guys who have spent 30 years playing club cricket but never once bothered to read the actual laws
Yeah I have genuinely heard that one a lot tbh. Incredibly common misconception, and I don't fully understand why.

A decision along the lines of "it was missing leg by miles but it hit you on the full in front of leg stump, so off you go" makes no sense whatsoever.

morgieb

That's the advantage of playing little club cricket. Means I don't have to listen to 60 year old codgers talking ****.

TheJediBrah

sounds like the kind of garbage spewed by guys who have spent 30 years playing club cricket but never once bothered to read the actual laws
I said multiple times that I wasn't sure if it was the rule or not, but that I'd heard it somewhere. No need to be a dick about it.

morgieb

was it Smith who was given out when he was hit on the full when he was half way down the pitch
That was hitting the stumps though......(well technically clipping and it's not the sort of decision I'd like to see be given out but it's not really what we're talking about)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
GREAT DELIVERY by Bumrah....he is special.

I wouldn’t enforce the follow on unless the weather forecast is looking iffy. There is a short turnaround before the next game, I would bat them out of this one. Declare after lunch tomorrow at some point, assuming you can last that long.