• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Early days obviously but Dravid looking a bit vulnerable IMO. In the last couple of years I definitely think you can tell which Dravid has shown up pretty early - when he's struggling for form he tends to get too far across his stumps which makes himself vulnerable to both playing at deliveries he doesn't need to and getting hit on the pads in front. Even on that on-drive he just played, his head had completely fallen over to the off side. Dravid in his glory days moved his feet back and forward a lot further - his trigger movement across gets him into trouble a bit these days.
Terrific piece of punditry that. :thumbsup:

Shame we don't get anything remotely as insightful from the commentators these days. I have to say I thought Dravid looked pretty solid right upto his dismissal.

vcs

This is really absorbing stuff. I really do love cricket in South Africa - the pitches usually have a bit in them and of course it helps they have a properly good and entertaining side.

I don't agree with the ridiculous notion that performing in these conditions is more important than performing in the subcontinent or more of an indication of quality or anything like that, but I will say that pitches with genuine bounce (even if it's slow bounce, like this pitch seems to be barring a couple of balls) and a bit of sideways movement make for the best cricket to watch. From my perspective anyway, obv.
I just love all flavours of Test cricket. Keep the variety, I say.

Blaze 18

Banned
Terrific piece of punditry that. :thumbsup:

Shame we don't get anything remotely as insightful from the commentators these days. I have to say I thought Dravid looked pretty solid right upto his dismissal.
Yeah, that was his first error in judgement.

chicane

State Captain
Looked like a wicket could fall ahead of every ball that session. Just enough in the deck which the bowlers have used well.

Sachin and Laxman just have to keep scoring.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
This is really absorbing stuff. I really do love cricket in South Africa - the pitches usually have a bit in them and of course it helps they have a properly good and entertaining side.

I don't agree with the ridiculous notion that performing in these conditions is more important than performing in the subcontinent or more of an indication of quality or anything like that, but I will say that pitches with genuine bounce (even if it's slow bounce, like this pitch seems to be barring a couple of balls) and a bit of sideways movement make for the best cricket to watch. From my perspective anyway, obv.
nailed it pews. awta.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, that was his first error in judgement.
Yeah it always looked like it was coming though, to me. Really wasn't liking his footwork or his head position. Off-stump judgement is the biggest difference between Dravid of today and of a few years ago and he ends up playing shots in some really odd positions. Sometimes he comes out and he looks fine; today was not one of those days.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Took a ball that seamed a lot to get him though.
I actually don't think he did too much wrong with that one. If anything he probably should've just got further forward, so even though he got out like I said he would, he didn't exactly get out how I said he would.. if you get me.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I understand. Didn't get out going too far forward and falling over, rather went back when he shouldn't have.

Either way I think it was unfortunate he fell, because I think he was doing all you could ask from him. Unless you're in supreme form (ala Sachin, Sanga, Cook, Ab Dev etc.) you're never going to look comfortable on a wicket like this against the new ball with it moist due to rain.

vcs

Angelo Mathews and Southee dismissed him recently in the manner you describe... falling over and playing across his pads. It used to happen to Sachin also a lot in his slump years.

Blaze 18

Banned
Yeah it always looked like it was coming though, to me. Really wasn't liking his footwork or his head position. Off-stump judgement is the biggest difference between Dravid of today and of a few years ago and he ends up playing shots in some really odd positions. Sometimes he comes out and he looks fine; today was not one of those days.
To be fair to him, that was one hell of a delivery. It would have got most batsmen out.

vcs

Yeah I understand. Didn't get out going too far forward and falling over, rather went back when he shouldn't have.

Either way I think it was unfortunate he fell, because I think he was doing all you could ask from him. Unless you're in supreme form (ala Sachin, Sanga, Cook, Ab Dev etc.) you're never going to look comfortable on a wicket like this against the new ball with it moist due to rain.
AWTA. Love the way he plays with soft hands through the slip cordon. Usually always gets it right.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Watching a stream. Getting SuperSport comms and Sky in the studio. Loving Sky right now.

Jaw almost hit the floor when Rob Key knew Gambhir had toured NZ and done well, but that the pitches were a lot different.

The English comms on Sky just know their ****. So refreshing.