• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

Flem274*

123/5
flynn should be no where near the team. failing to outdo papps, guptill and maybe even redmond (haven't checked).

and until he brings front foot drives into his test game he will only ever be a more courageous but ultimately just as rubbish usman khawaja.

some people here like to pick apart the various faults of guptill, but the fact is guptill is more effective and when you pick flynn apart he looks rubbish too.

you can shut flynn down by bowling full outside off, he slashes to deliveries which are too full or moving too much to do it too, he is an lbw candidate, he can't put the ball into gaps and he's the left handed jamie how of 40 and out.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Rutherford's place likely to come under scrutiny?

EDIT: 5 mins too late

Last edited:

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
I'm possibly slightly biased given I'm from Otago but surely we don't replace an opener unless we're sure the guy coming in will do better. I can't say I think any of the alternatives are better than Ruds or Fulton or are likely to give us a significantly better start than we've been getting over the last year.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
flynn should be no where near the team. failing to outdo papps, guptill and maybe even redmond (haven't checked).

and until he brings front foot drives into his test game he will only ever be a more courageous but ultimately just as rubbish usman khawaja.

some people here like to pick apart the various faults of guptill, but the fact is guptill is more effective and when you pick flynn apart he looks rubbish too.

you can shut flynn down by bowling full outside off, he slashes to deliveries which are too full or moving too much to do it too, he is an lbw candidate, he can't put the ball into gaps and he's the left handed jamie how of 40 and out.
Answer these questions honestly in a non "I hate the agro-business community way"

1) Does Flynn have courage
2) Does Flynn have a good temperament
3) Is he a scrapper
4) Does he understand his limitations and play within them.

Athlai

Not Terrible

Papps 766 @ 76.60
Flynn 683 @ 48.78
Latham 665 @ 73.88
Guptill 663 @ 94.71
Redmond 507 @ 50.70
Raval 482 @ 37.07

annnnnd last season

Redmond 941 @ 55.35
Papps 810 @ 45.00
Raval 750 @ 44.11
Flynn 622 @ 47.84
Latham 430 @ 33.07
Guptill DNB

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
We need better field settings to sodhi, they are cutting and back foot driving him for single after single. I would go point and cover point, right now he can't target one batsman.
(Baz please read this)
I think this suggests that he needs to bowl a better length more than the field settings.

Flem274*

123/5
Answer these questions honestly in a non "I hate the agro-business community way"

1) Does Flynn have courage
2) Does Flynn have a good temperament
3) Is he a scrapper
4) Does he understand his limitations and play within them.
yes, yes until he gets a start, yes until he gets near a milestone, sort of

he might have guts, but not converting and technical flaws mean he will only get so far.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think this suggests that he needs to bowl a better length more than the field settings.
On face value from reading it you would say that - but from watching it they are going back to good balls. If him changing his bowling is the answer then he needs to bowl some top spinners and googlies to punish them for going on the back foot to him - top spinners that jump on them would be particularly nasty and if he had one that skidded through that would be even better.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
yes, yes until he gets a start, yes until he gets near a milestone, sort of

he might have guts, but not converting and technical flaws mean he will only get so far.
He will never be Glenn Turner agreed. But we just need a role player not a match winner. Not scoring 100s is ok.

Also you are either understating or undervaluing his guts I can't decide.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
On face value from reading it you would say that - but from watching it they are going back to good balls. If him changing his bowling is the answer then he needs to bowl some top spinners and googlies to punish them for going on the back foot to him - top spinners that jump on them would be particularly nasty and if he had one that skidded through that would be even better.
If the batsmen are consistently playing back to good length balls then that's something Sodhi needs to be able to exploit. Setting a field for it will just leave boundary oppurtunities or other wide open spaces. To me it suggests he's just a touch too slow through the air and off the wicket which gives him very little margin for error against good players of spin.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Code:
HD Rutherford	1765	41.04	Otag/Essex/NZ/NZers/NZXI/NZA
PG Fulton	1733	40.30	Cant/NZ/NZers
MJ Guptill	1700	42.50	Auck/Derby/NZers/NZ
DR Flynn	1624 	37.76	ND/NZ/NZers
TWM Latham	1578	49.31	Cant/NZA/NZers/NZXI
MHW Papps	1576	56.28	Well
AJ Redmond 	1394	48.06	Otag/NZ
JA Raval 	1227	42.31	Auck/CD
Since 2012

*Doesn't include the games currently being played

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Dropping Fulton would be premature, IMO. Not long since he made some tough, valuable runs against England. Deserves to see out the series, at the very least IMO.

Rutherford, on the other hand, shouldn't have the same length of rope. Nothing of any real note since the 176, and finds very poor ways to get dismissed every innings. Latham & Fulton for the rest of the series, IMO.

Not to mention Indian quicks are probably the ideal fast bowlers to introduce Latham with.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
If the batsmen are consistently playing back to good length balls then that's something Sodhi needs to be able to exploit. Setting a field for it will just leave boundary oppurtunities or other wide open spaces. To me it suggests he's just a touch too slow through the air and off the wicket which gives him very little margin for error against good players of spin.
I have clicked on "like" to this post as I think we are both correct. Yes you are right he needs to make some bowling adjustments and adjust his speed. Yes I am right they need to cut off that shot because right now he can't get three balls in a row at the same guy. Their footwork is superb and even if he bowls a bit quicker they are still going to do it. I wasn't expecting this tactic because they didn't do this to Jeets.
"Setting a field for it will just leave boundary oppurtunities" - that is ok - that havn't tried to hit him over the top once - give them a gap. Every ball he is bowling is dangerous and they are nullifying him through a pre-thought out game plan.

When I was taught how to play spin overseas - (they don't teach you in NZ at lower levels) everyone said get back and get back and get back and then come forward when he starts to adjust his length and speed to counteract you and you can drive him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dropping Fulton would be premature, IMO. Not long since he made some tough, valuable runs against England. Deserves to see out the series, at the very least IMO.

Rutherford, on the other hand, shouldn't have the same length of rope. Nothing of any real note since the 176, and finds very poor ways to get dismissed every innings. Latham & Fulton for the rest of the series, IMO.
Yeah, agree with this. Fulton still has a purpose; Rutherford is just hoping against hope at this point.

GGG

State Captain
What the heck! Talk about chalk and cheese between waking up yesterday and today. I am sure it has been discussed but what is the consensus of non enforcing the follow on? Looks like we ran through them so the ball must of been doing a bit, the bowlers had a nights rest and didn't bowl that many overs. I am at a loss.