• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England 2014

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So what's the difference with England ****tiness and Indian players not performing?

Sounds like two words for the same thing tbh.
I don't think anyone was suggesting differently. Indian fans were saying that India are only still in this because they've had a few players perform and England haven't been very good, and as such the half of the Indian side that haven't performed need to have their places looked at. It wasn't meant to be a comparison between England and India; just a selection discussion.

91Jmay

International Coach
I don't think anyone was suggesting differently. Indian fans were saying that India are only still in this because they've had a few players perform and England haven't been very good, and as such the half of the Indian side that haven't performed need to have their places looked at. It wasn't meant to be a comparison between England and India; just a selection discussion.
Yeah thats fair. I don't really think its true though. Ishant + Jadeja maybe but Binny got runs first test and Dhawan got 98 and century in NZ series.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah thats fair. I don't really think its true though. Ishant + Jadeja maybe but Binny got runs first test and Dhawan got 98 and century in NZ series.
Binny wasn't selected just to make runs though; he's batting eight below Jadeja. They definitely have better batsmen available and he's not offering anything with the ball.

I agree about Dhawan.

91Jmay

International Coach
Binny wasn't selected just to make runs though; he's batting eight below Jadeja. They definitely have better batsmen available and he's not offering anything with the ball.

I agree about Dhawan.
He is a better bat than Jadeja though for me, and I hate picking blokes for a couple of tests then sodding them off unless they go full Kerrigan.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess we are gonna see whether the Dhoni/Jadeja/Binny combination from 6-8 is going to cut it at test level tomorrow

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Am i the only one who thinks Sir Jadeja has bowled well during this series given the circumstances and the help available? Plus he keeps one end tight pretty well and gets through plenty of overs quickly. Contributed 25 - 30 runs in 2 out of 3 innings as well.

Not sure what dropping him for Ashwin in a 4 man attack would achieve. Ashwin doesn't exactly have a record of doing well on such surfaces or overseas in general and can't even keep a end tied up like Jadeja. He'd do better with the Bat probably but worse overall with the ball. If he has to be brought in then should bring him in the Binny role at 7 but depends on the surface really.

As for Dhawan with the knock in this innings shouldn't be dropped right now either.

So As things stand unless they do something remarkable in the remaining match, i'd drop Ishant and Binny.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He is a better bat than Jadeja though for me, and I hate picking blokes for a couple of tests then sodding them off unless they go full Kerrigan.
His bowling is simply not worth the drop off in Batting from a Gambhir/Rohit to him. Might as well give those overs to Kohli and his dibbly dobblers. Not convinced he would be upto that much with the bat on non flat surfaces either.

Plus his selection was undeserved in the squad let alone the team and just to play a limited role, so won't really be harsh to drop him after 2 tests.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Am i the only one who thinks Sir Jadeja has bowled well during this series given the circumstances and the help available? Plus he keeps one end tight pretty well and gets through plenty of overs quickly. Contributed 25 - 30 runs in 2 out of 3 innings as well.

Not sure what dropping him for Ashwin in a 4 man attack would achieve. Ashwin doesn't exactly have a record of doing well on such surfaces or overseas in general and can't even keep a end tied up like Jadeja. He'd do better with the Bat probably but worse overall with the ball. If he has to be brought in then should bring him in the Binny role at 7 but depends on the surface really.

As for Dhawan with the knock in this innings shouldn't be dropped right now either.

So As things stand unless they do something remarkable in the remaining match, i'd drop Ishant and Binny.
Yeah, getting rid of Jadeja doesn't make that much sense. Can't see Ashwin doing better and Ojha isn't on tour. Given BK's batting is it worth ****ing off Binny for another bowler (e.g. Pankaj?)

Daemon

I actually think Vijay will do a fair job seeing off the new ball. He's a good leaver of the ball and he did that pretty well against Steyn when he was bowling a crazy spell back in the 2010 SA series. Has to protect the middle order from the new ball where most of our runs will come from, which imo he's capable of doing. Dhawan on the other hand is likely to struggle imo, especially against someone like Philander who's going to keep tempting him to go for his favourite shots.
:cool:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I'm baffled by some of these posts. Game mid way done, India have a great chance and people want 4 players yanked?
That's irrespective of the result. There is room for improvement even if India win this test.

Binny, Jadeja and Ishant shouldn't have got a game to begin with. Dhawan is struggling.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Before this series I was still in Dan's camp of insisting he was crap regardless of his mini purple patch but yeah, I think it's time for me to let that go. I still can't shake the feeling that a disastrous rut is just around the corner and might never do so but credit where it's due, he's been legitimately good since his recall in some tough situations.
He'll return to type soon enough IMO. Never has been a Test class opener, never will be. He's had the benefit of being played into form by an absolutely appalling Australian side, and I'll admit he's capitalised on that well -- but I don't see him fighting when the bad times come, as they undoubtedly will (everybody loses form at some point).

That was (and still is) my biggest problem with the guy. I thought he was pretty decent early on (mostly because I was 14 and he'd made runs against Australia :p) -- decent technique, good enough temperament; all the skills to be a Test-class, if not world class, opener -- but once it stopped being all too easy for him, he ****ed off to the IPL and spent years belting terri-bad Indian seamers and flash-in-the-pan Australian domestic blokes all over the place to make big bucks, while quite clearly not giving two ****s about his red ball game. He's the Indian Shaun Marsh.

Then, like Marsh, he got reselected because he looks pretty when in full flow during T20s and immediately cashed in. Marsh is even softer than Vijay, so it's no surprise that Vijay's kept it going for longer. Yeah, he's performed pretty well since his recall. I just don't think it's representative of much.

Don't get me wrong, he should be selected for home series against Australia until the end of time; a greying version of Murali Vijay would undoubtedly ton up against the Aussies while collecting his pension, but at the end of the day I don't see any fight in him when batting stops being so easy. He'll just piss off back to the IPL and collect a big paycheck for cricketing mediocrity. That's why I flat-out don't rate the guy, and why no amount of hundreds is enough to change my mind.

Daemon

This isn't great form that Vijay's in. He's looked vulnerable numerous times and has played and missed and edged multiple times against South Africa, New Zealand, Windies and now here. He's had to contend with good bowling in conditions that aren't suited to him and he hasn't trumped them all the time, in fact he hasn't even been close to doing that besides this series and the Border Gavaskar.

What you get with Vijay is an opener who has very good temperament and someone who isn't going to play stupid shots or take unnecessary risks. If you don't bowl well to him and let him keep leaving the ball and wearing you out, he's going to get runs.

He also completely annihilates anything on his pads. Love him.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah man, opening against Steyn and co in their own backyard, pfft, wait till the real stuff starts, he'll be off to the IPL in no time

Flem274*

123/5
He'll return to type soon enough IMO. Never has been a Test class opener, never will be. He's had the benefit of being played into form by an absolutely appalling Australian side, and I'll admit he's capitalised on that well -- but I don't see him fighting when the bad times come, as they undoubtedly will (everybody loses form at some point).

That was (and still is) my biggest problem with the guy. I thought he was pretty decent early on (mostly because I was 14 and he'd made runs against Australia :p) -- decent technique, good enough temperament; all the skills to be a Test-class, if not world class, opener -- but once it stopped being all too easy for him, he ****ed off to the IPL and spent years belting terri-bad Indian seamers and flash-in-the-pan Australian domestic blokes all over the place to make big bucks, while quite clearly not giving two ****s about his red ball game. He's the Indian Shaun Marsh.

Then, like Marsh, he got reselected because he looks pretty when in full flow during T20s and immediately cashed in. Marsh is even softer than Vijay, so it's no surprise that Vijay's kept it going for longer. Yeah, he's performed pretty well since his recall. I just don't think it's representative of much.

Don't get me wrong, he should be selected for home series against Australia until the end of time; a greying version of Murali Vijay would undoubtedly ton up against the Aussies while collecting his pension, but at the end of the day I don't see any fight in him when batting stops being so easy. He'll just piss off back to the IPL and collect a big paycheck for cricketing mediocrity. That's why I flat-out don't rate the guy, and why no amount of hundreds is enough to change my mind.
you sound like blocky

91Jmay

International Coach
Instagram

Cheating ****s. Bet they'll resort to cloud seeding on the final day as well if things get tough.
Wonder how long before this becomes the next great conspiracy. :laugh:

Despite England batting last, so that not helping them at all of course.

Dhawan isn't struggling. He did well against New Zealand has had 3 bad innings.

Kohli should go down before him based on that stupid ****ing logic.

OverratedSanity

Dhawan shouldn't be dropped. He was pretty good yesterday, just got out to an uppish slash at a wide ball, which is part of his game, and in the first innings he got an unplayable delivery. Wasn't anything worthy of a drop.