• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Great Articles of Cricket

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I doubt bidder 2 will be too much trouble - its if you see a bidder steam in with a red star that you have a problem as the chances are it will be one of the three I mentioned

neville cardus

International Debutant
T'bugger went beyond my means -- we were well into R500 territory when I gave up --, so I have settled instead on a cheap copy of Billy Murdoch's Cricket (1893), which is bound to have something.

Thanks for the heads-up, Fred.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am sorry Rodney - I know the little bugger who bought it too - I could have nobbled him if I had thought but I mistakenly believed he had the book already - alas it was the 1884 one he had - don't suppose it's any consolation that you have something apart from cricket in common - he is a 19 year old student!

I will keep my eyes open - I shall regard it as my duty to find you a copy at a competitive price. I presume you are not a "snob" and that a review copy would suffice?

neville cardus

International Debutant
I am sorry Rodney - I know the little bugger who bought it too - I could have nobbled him if I had thought but I mistakenly believed he had the book already - alas it was the 1884 one he had - don't suppose it's any consolation that you have something apart from cricket in common - he is a 19 year old student!
Would that he were South African: I am yet to meet one with a true appreciation of the history of the game. Presently, though, I am sneakily priming a few of my Philosophy classmates on C.L.R. James's non-cricketing stuff in the hope that, when finally Beyond a Boundary is pushed beneath their nostrils, they will not scoff as loudly as they would otherwise do.

I will keep my eyes open - I shall regard it as my duty to find you a copy at a competitive price. I presume you are not a "snob" and that a review copy would suffice?
Thankfully, I am more concerned with reading books than displaying them proudly on my shelf.

You needn't worry, though: the Murdoch volume (at just nine nickers) more than compensates. I would not have gone for it had I not been seeking compensation. And I would not have been seeking compensation had not my EBay bids fallen short. And my EBay bids would not have fallen short had I not made them. And I would not have made them had you not advised me to make them.

So, in the end, it really is all down to you. :happy:

Last edited:

wisden18

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hi,

This'll give Fred a shock; I was the sod who out bid you on the Mack publication (actually arrived in the post yesterday).

Quite odd I found this thread actually, was googling "Cricket Lore" volume 5, and this was on the first page of results (!), 4th from top actually.

Just been catching up on the whole discussion here.

There is another copy on Ebay at the moment, if you haven't seen it:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Australia...hash=item360067997277&_trksid=p3911.m14.l1318

If that is of any interest.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Hi,
This'll give Fred a shock; I was the sod who out bid you on the Mack publication (actually arrived in the post yesterday).
I've half a mind to search for a vindictive smiley.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Australia...hash=item360067997277&_trksid=p3911.m14.l1318
The exchange rate makes that price untenable. Thanks anyway.

EDIT: And do let us know how it reads.

Last edited:

neville cardus

International Debutant
You needn't worry, though: the Murdoch volume (at just nine nickers) more than compensates. I would not have gone for it had I not been seeking compensation. And I would not have been seeking compensation had not my EBay bids fallen short. And my EBay bids would not have fallen short had I not made them. And I would not have made them had you not advised me to make them.
So, in the end, it really is all down to you. :happy:
That is nowhere near as funny as I thought it would be.

wisden18

Yes, I'll let you know what it is like. As Fred said I've got Mack's one on 1884 (along with a few of his other facsimilies).

Just in the process of cataloguing my books at the moment (as Fred knows, I have bought a couple of duplicates of things, from not knowing whether I already have a book or not (and in one case I have 3 copies of the bloody thing!)).

I'm visiting the person selling that 1882 in a day or so, I'll have a look at it, to see what sort of condition it is in, as I would presume he won't get (m)any bids with such a high starting price and so will probably be relisting it.

archie mac

International Coach
T'bugger went beyond my means -- we were well into R500 territory when I gave up --, so I have settled instead on a cheap copy of Billy Murdoch's Cricket (1893), which is bound to have something.

Thanks for the heads-up, Fred.
I have read that, it is basically a "how to play cricket" book:)

archie mac

International Coach
Yes, I'll let you know what it is like. As Fred said I've got Mack's one on 1884 (along with a few of his other facsimilies).

Just in the process of cataloguing my books at the moment (as Fred knows, I have bought a couple of duplicates of things, from not knowing whether I already have a book or not (and in one case I have 3 copies of the bloody thing!)).

I'm visiting the person selling that 1882 in a day or so, I'll have a look at it, to see what sort of condition it is in, as I would presume he won't get (m)any bids with such a high starting price and so will probably be relisting it.
Welcome mate, great to have another book lover on here:cool:

May I ask how many books you have?:ph34r:

wisden18

Sure, number of books, well I'm currently cataloguing them, so can't be precise, but we are talking about 1500-1700. And have spent way to much on them, especially as Fred said, I'm 19. Those darn limited editions! I haven't got any extremely rare things, probably most valuable thing is the Croombie cricket cartoons, the original book from 1906. Have a couple of Rosenwater's publications, um, Chirs Saunders 2 latest big publications (the Britcher and Dennison things), oh and Captain in the Crowd, got the limited edition version of that.

One thing that is quite nice if you can get your hands on it is Goldman's Bibliography, if only to see the odd way the book is bound.

Suffice to say I have too many bloody books!:unsure:

archie mac

International Coach
Sure, number of books, well I'm currently cataloguing them, so can't be precise, but we are talking about 1500-1700. And have spent way to much on them, especially as Fred said, I'm 19. Those darn limited editions! I haven't got any extremely rare things, probably most valuable thing is the Croombie cricket cartoons, the original book from 1906. Have a couple of Rosenwater's publications, um, Chirs Saunders 2 latest big publications (the Britcher and Dennison things), oh and Captain in the Crowd, got the limited edition version of that.

One thing that is quite nice if you can get your hands on it is Goldman's Bibliography, if only to see the odd way the book is bound.

Suffice to say I have too many bloody books!:unsure:
Very impressive, especially for one so young, but good to see people like you and NC showing a great interest in cricket books:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

There is no justification whatsoever for that price.

I bought one after you outbid Rodney at the ebay auction, for 81 USD which is about 41 pounds.

Some of the prices one sees on ebay are ridiculous.

Spend time on the net and if you are in England, go and visit some of the really big stores of second hand books and you will find lots of stuff at very good prices.

wisden18

Well, I could of course counter that by saying I killed someone in my library, and the blood spattered everywhere:ph34r: