• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Great Articles of Cricket

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There is a great deal of material around about that particular Test Match - the easiest source is the recently published book by Christopher Hilton but as well as that in the 1980's John McKenzie published facsimile copies of two contemporary accounts.

As to biographical material there is a contemporary biography of Spofforth and Jones and Garrett were two of the subjects of Max Bonnell's "Currency Lads".

Barlow and Giffen wrote autobiographies and a biography of Lyttleton was written in 1917

Ulyett, Barnes, Peate and Barlow have chapters devoted to them in one or other of Derek West's books "Twelve Days of Grace" or "Six more Days of Grace"

There is a 1933 biography of Studd and a fairly obscure biography of Hornby that was privately published in 1991

As for WG - well there is the odd book about him if you look hard!

What sort of material are you after?

neville cardus

International Debutant
There is a great deal of material around about that particular Test Match - the easiest source is the recently published book by Christopher Hilton
I picked up Hilton's book for my birthday last year and was pleased with everything but the sociological pretensions and its prosaic over-by-over treatment. However, as mine is more an information-gathering project than an endeavour at enjoyment, those were but minor misgivings.

but as well as that in the 1980's John McKenzie published facsimile copies of two contemporary accounts.
Was Charles Pardon's one of them?

As to biographical material there is a contemporary biography of Spofforth and Jones and Garrett were two of the subjects of Max Bonnell's "Currency Lads".
Both of those volumes are painfully reticent, but I have read the relevant chapter in Cashman's book. Does Bonnell recount the poet Moraes's encounter with Jones?

Barlow and Giffen wrote autobiographies
I have the latter -- thanks, Archie -- but have seen only extracts from the former, which seems to repeat much of what its author told Old Ebor.

and a biography of Lyttleton was written in 1917
The local library, bless it, has a copy.

Ulyett, Barnes, Peate and Barlow have chapters devoted to them in one or other of Derek West's books "Twelve Days of Grace" or "Six more Days of Grace"
Simon Rae drew extensively on West for his biography of W.G.. If the content reproduced there is anything to go by, those books are must-haves.

There is a 1933 biography of Studd
While useful for its extra-cricketing information, it is hagiographical to the point of laughability when it comes to recounting Studd's sporting pursuits. I recently came by a copy of one of the quoted letters and was amused to find that Grubb had edited out the polemic topic.

and a fairly obscure biography of Hornby that was privately published in 1991
That is the first that I have heard of it.

What sort of material are you after?
Anything and everything. This is, after all, an obsession. :)

Last edited:

fredfertang

Was Charles Pardon's one of them?
Yes - Mack only did 120 of them though so its quite scarce - probably £50 worth

Both of those volumes are painfully reticent, but I have read the relevant chapter in Cashman's book. Does Bonnell recount the poet Moraes's encounter with Jones?
Time for a confession I think - although I own all the books I mentioned I haven't actually read any of them in their entirety - Bonnell's book does have an index which doesn't mention Moraes

Simon Rae drew extensively on West for his biography of W.G.. If the content reproduced there is anything to go by, those books are must-haves.
Professor West has written a number of interesting books and pamphlets about Victorian Cricket and although I haven't read these books through I have dipped into them and they are classy bits of writing - Professor West died a few years ago - he lived about two miles from me - wish I'd found that out before he passed away!

I have the latter -- thanks, Archie -- but have seen only extracts from the former, which seems to repeat much of what its author told Old Ebor.
Have had a flick through the Barlow book - its an oddity - there is certainly no extensive coverage of the 1882 test and I see Mr Hilton makes no reference to it in his bibliography but I will try and give it a more searching examination at the weekend - if its helpful I know a man who has a spare copy :laugh:

That is the first that I have heard of it.
Its written by William Henry Hoole and is called "The Cricketing Squire" - It has a complete chapter on the 1882 test which I have now read - I suspect it's a straight lift from one of those Victorian periodicals like "The Field" or "Bells Life" - I dont think it will take you any further and I wouldn't recommend going to all the bother I recall having to find a copy of the bloody thing!

Anything and everything. This is, after all, an obsession.
If its raining on Saturday and the ODI is affected I will give my library a thorough inspection for you - in my view obsessive behaviour about such matters is to be encouraged!

neville cardus

International Debutant
Yes - Mack only did 120 of them though so its quite scarce - probably £50 worth
I think that I may have spotted one on a Christopher Saunders stall during a bookfair in London last year. I shall see about contacting him.

Time for a confession I think - although I own all the books I mentioned I haven't actually read any of them in their entirety - Bonnell's book does have an index which doesn't mention Moraes
That is a relief: there is nothing to match the pain in the derrière that is reading the same thing twice.

I was disappointed to learn of Moraes's recent death, for he was the only living man I knew to have spoken to a survivor from the match. His encounter with Jones is detailed in Green is the Grass, a delightful little book he penned when just thirteen.

Professor West has written a number of interesting books and pamphlets about Victorian Cricket and although I haven't read these books through I have dipped into them and they are classy bits of writing - Professor West died a few years ago - he lived about two miles from me - wish I'd found that out before he passed away!
I only wish I could speak to anyone with a half-decent knowledge of the game's history. Contrary to popular belief, South Africa is a country of cricketing cretins. The main reason for my participation on this forum is that I have never -- not once -- enjoyed the fabled delight that is "cricket chat".

Have had a flick through the Barlow book - its an oddity - there is certainly no extensive coverage of the 1882 test and I see Mr Hilton makes no reference to it in his bibliography
He was unfortunately not as thorough in his book excavation as he was in ploughing through contemporary newspapers. But we are in his debt all the same.

but I will try and give it a more searching examination at the weekend - if its helpful I know a man who has a spare copy :laugh:
That's very kind.

Its written by William Henry Hoole and is called "The Cricketing Squire" - It has a complete chapter on the 1882 test which I have now read - I suspect it's a straight lift from one of those Victorian periodicals like "The Field" or "Bells Life"
If so, it ought to read identically to Pardon's account, as it was for Bell's Life that he wrote it. I am yet to see The Field, which, from memory, Hilton did not consult.

- I dont think it will take you any further and I wouldn't recommend going to all the bother I recall having to find a copy of the bloody thing!
I shall keep it in mind.

If its raining on Saturday and the ODI is affected I will give my library a thorough inspection for you - in my view obsessive behaviour about such matters is to be encouraged!
Would that more responded to such encouragement. (I know that few do because I have tried.)

Last edited:

fredfertang

I was disappointed to learn of Moraes's recent death, for he was the only living man I knew to have spoken to a survivor of the match. His encounter with Jones is detailed in Green is the Grass, a delightful little book he penned when just thirteen.
I have heard excellent reports of this but the only copy i can see currently available in the UK is £210

Contrary to popular belief, South Africa is a country of cricketing cretins
:laugh: I wouldn't have been quite so harsh but how the whole country has failed to produce a book on the exploits of Faulkner/Vogler/Schwarz/White is beyond me let alone the absence of biographies of Taylor,Tayfield and Mitchell to name but three

I only wish that I could chat to anyone with a half-decent knowledge of the game's history. The main reason for my participation on this forum is the fact that I have never -- not once -- enjoyed the fabled delight that is "cricket chat".
:-O That's terrible!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I only wish that I could chat to anyone with a half-decent knowledge of the game's history. Contrary to popular belief, South Africa is a country of cricketing cretins. The main reason for my participation on this forum is the fact that I have never -- not once -- enjoyed the fabled delight that is "cricket chat".
I had hoped that this forum's high calibre played some part too TBH.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I had hoped that this forum's high calibre played some part too TBH.
No, it was entirely a matter of filling the vacuum in my social life. It is not entirely true that I have never enjoyed cricket chat, because I have: the trouble is that I am always the only one doing the chatting. You have to know a bit about this game, it seems, to talk about it.

If the forum's high calibre deserves acknowledgement for anything, it is for keeping me here. I have combed the web and plied my trade on incalculable pretenders; this is one of the few to which I have stayed faithful.

Last edited:

fredfertang

A decent game in the end and no rain but got up early anyway - visited the premises of Boundary Books first thing - a new dealer on the block as far as I am concerned - had a great time!

Anyway to get back to the point - had a look - not as thorough as it may have been without the prospect of a dealer visit but these are the somewhat disappointing results - particularly irritating that neither Arlott nor AA Thomson appear to have dealt with the game at any length but I will check again after I have finished admiring yesterday's purchases 8-)

WA Bettesworth “Chats on the Cricket Field” – a collection of interviews culled from “The Field” and “Cricket” – I had high hopes of this bulky volume but the only participant interviewed is Spofforth – worthwhile for that though

K Booth “The Father of Modern Sport” – A biography of Charles Alcock – a recent publication – interesting description of the match – I must read this book – having had a taste of it the appetite is certainly whetted for more.

K Gregory and R Illingworth “The Ashes” Longish chapter on the 1882 game – Gregory was a good writer – Illingworth was a decent captain but ………………an author??????? ...he had a ghost for his various autobiographys ffs

M Williams (Ed) “Double Century” – anthology of material from the “Thunderer” – contains the contemporary report

J Munns “Beyond Reasonable Doubt” – odd book – concerned primarily with the 1882/83 tour to Australia but as its raison d’etre is the origin of the Ashes you may find it interesting

HS Altham “A History of Cricket” – puts it in context

D Birley “A Social History of English Cricket” – I don’t think there is much in detail in this book but it is very highly regarded and might be illuminating?

So not a lot really – I haven’t been through all the anthologies or all the books on WG in which the game no doubt figures largely – there may also be something in Major Bowen’s “Cricket Quarterly” which will inevitably be worth reading if there is but while my set lies forlorn and disbound I cant face wading through it!

neville cardus

International Debutant
A decent game in the end and no rain but got up early anyway - visited the premises of Boundary Books first thing - a new dealer on the block as far as I am concerned - had a great time!
Anyway to get back to the point - had a look - not as thorough as it may have been without the prospect of a dealer visit but these are the somewhat disappointing results - particularly irritating that neither Arlott nor AA Thomson appear to have dealt with the game at any length but I will check again after I have finished admiring yesterday's purchases 8-)
Thomson's Odd Men In has been utile for the biographical light that it sheds on a few of the participants, but Arlott I am yet to see even mention the game.

WA Bettesworth “Chats on the Cricket Field” – a collection of interviews culled from “The Field” and “Cricket” – I had high hopes of this bulky volume but the only participant interviewed is Spofforth – worthwhile for that though
I was unaware of the Spofforth interview but have been hunting Chats down for the portion on Pa Jackson, who was a spectator at the match.

K Booth “The Father of Modern Sport” – A biography of Charles Alcock – a recent publication – interesting description of the match – I must read this book – having had a taste of it the appetite is certainly whetted for more.
Booth is a grossly underrated writer. Nothing bearing his name has failed to appease the critics.

K Gregory and R Illingworth “The Ashes” Longish chapter on the 1882 game – Gregory was a good writer – Illingworth was a decent captain but ………………an author??????? ...he had a ghost for his various autobiographys ffs
I have that. Illy's contribution is limited to a few notes on the 1970/71 Ashes tour.

M Williams (Ed) “Double Century” – anthology of material from the “Thunderer” – contains the contemporary report
Goddit.

J Munns “Beyond Reasonable Doubt” – odd book – concerned primarily with the 1882/83 tour to Australia but as its raison d’etre is the origin of the Ashes you may find it interesting
Thanks.

HS Altham “A History of Cricket” – puts it in context
His was the first account to draw on Horan's reminiscences. That alone makes it vital.

D Birley “A Social History of English Cricket” – I don’t think there is much in detail in this book but it is very highly regarded and might be illuminating?
It is, although I was a soupçon annoyed at its dubbing Alfred Lyttelton the English captain.

So not a lot really – I haven’t been through all the anthologies or all the books on WG in which the game no doubt figures largely
Simon Rae's is the best that I have read.

there may also be something in Major Bowen’s “Cricket Quarterly” which will inevitably be worth reading if there is but while my set lies forlorn and disbound I cant face wading through it!
Thanks a ton for helping out. I am in your debt.

Last edited:

fredfertang

According to the "catalogue" of my collection I own a slim volume by Rex Harcourt entitled "The Origin of the Ashes" although rather worryingly I cant find it at the moment - missing from the catalogue is reference to Cricket Lore which is best described as a 90's equivalent of Major Bowen's publication - I do have an almost full set of that and will check that too - it is unlikely that anything in it is simply a rehash of someone else's work so might contain the odd gem for you.

fredfertang

Harcourt had been filed under “W” for some reason – perhaps I mistook it for the work of Bernard Whimpress – anyway it was published 3 years after the Munns volume and is really just a brief update of that.

Cricket Lore was more interesting – in its first volume it produced articles on the early test matches and short biographies of all debutants so that way if you have Volume I issues 1-5 you have a short biography of each player together with, in Volume 5, an account of the game culled from contemporary, but sadly unspecified, sources.

There is also a book by R D Beeston called “St Ivo and the Ashes” which is essentially an account of the 1882/83 tour – it’s a fairly whimsical account and the original is exceptionally rare although again Mr McKenzie did us a service by reprinting it although he only did 75 and it was one of the first facsimiles he did so you wont get too much change out of £100 if you do find a copy. Interestingly the “new” introduction was by John Arlott so his silence on the game was not absolute!

Finally only today via the good offices of Roger Page I have received a little book by Ken Williams called “For Club and Country” which contains one or two page biographies of members of the Melbourne Club who have played tests and included are Bonnor, Blackham and Spofforth – not sure there’s anything new though – the piece on Bonnor contains the hoary old chestnut about Fred Grace’s catch.

………….and finally again – the splendidly named “big_juicy_plums” is selling a copy of the Pardon 1882 reprint on ebay.co.uk at present – no bids yet and a starting price of £19.99 - you know it makes sense Mr Ulyate ……………

neville cardus

International Debutant
I have the Ken Williams volume, most of which lacks novelty, and perused an extract from Beeston's blithe offering some time ago; it is now a firm fixture on my to-get list. Such sense does "big_juicy_plums" make, meanwhile, that I duly tendered a bid earlier today. But let us hope that the capricious economy sends the Rand-to-Pound exchange rate well below the 15.55 at which it presently stands, for R311, while cheap for a classic piece of cricket literature, is no mean sum for a poor South African student. Thanks for pointing me to it.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Well you can still find some copies of Charles Pardon's record of the 1882 tour of England. They dont come cheap though. I have seen prices ranging from £ 200 (462 AUS $) to £ 750.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
………….and finally again – the splendidly named “big_juicy_plums” is selling a copy of the Pardon 1882 reprint on ebay.co.uk at present – no bids yet and a starting price of £19.99 - you know it makes sense Mr Ulyate ……………
Thats a steal Rodney. Go for it.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Three days left, and I'm still, amazingly, the only bidder. Holding thumbs.
I can see why it is offered at such a discounted price as against what is quoted elsewhere - its a reprint. But that raises another question, why is it so rare then ?

fredfertang

There were only 120 and McKenzie did them back in 82 so has been "out of print" for a quarter of a century.

I have had words with one collector/dealer I know and warned him off this one and he has agreed to leave it alone but as its number 3 in the limitation I fear there may be some deep pocketed competition - beware "nettiemoore" and "kmt405gah" and "hencrick" all of whom I know but whose bidding activities I cannot influence I am afraid.

For the avoidance of doubt I have not contravened section 1 (3) Auctions (Bidding Agreements) Act 1927.........................

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There were only 120 and McKenzie did them back in 82 so has been "out of print" for a quarter of a century.

I have had words with one collector/dealer I know and warned him off this one and he has agreed to leave it alone but as its number 3 in the limitation I fear there may be some deep pocketed competition - beware "nettiemoore" and "kmt405gah" and "hencrick" all of whom I know but whose bidding activities I cannot influence I am afraid.

For the avoidance of doubt I have not contravened section 1 (3) Auctions (Bidding Agreements) Act 1927.........................
Aha..

neville cardus

International Debutant
I have had words with one collector/dealer I know and warned him off this one and he has agreed to leave it alone
The mysterious "Bidder 2" has just outdone me, but not by much. Rather than plunge into a bid war, though, I think that it would be expedient to wait until there are only a few hours left on the clock.

Thanks for the intervention.

but as its number 3 in the limitation I fear there may be some deep pocketed competition - beware "nettiemoore" and "kmt405gah" and "hencrick" all of whom I know but whose bidding activities I cannot influence I am afraid.
For the avoidance of further doubt in those of us not UK-law-savvy, this means that no incentive has been offered anyone for abstaining from the auction.