• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

loterry1994

International Debutant
Looks like Cummins is copping a lot of criticism for field placings and bowling tactics. I’m not sure if we continued our short pitch attack to Crawley or he is benefiting from the suspicion we have bowled him into form over the course of the series.

Either way it was a great innings but in a way it has, in combination with the forecast, put a little pressure on England. Who might have to consider declarations even earlier than they would normally think. Then if the pitch stays flat, the forecast improves and our batsman at last find form, could be in trouble themselves.

Nonetheless would rather be them than us at this point. As an aside (and it’s probably been mentioned) I’ve seen memes going around saying Broad is still short of his 600 test wickets since the last ashes has been voided. 😊
cummins tactics to Crawley was shocking they had him troubled a few times before his 50 pitching it up and had a few edges. The short stuff and field spreading early just gave him more confidence and he scored quicker

halba

International 12th Man
5th test if Starc injured

Abbott comes in. Boland was village in his two tests, Abbott is there on standby playing county and is a better replacement for Starc.

Atleast the batting depth is solid here.

Hazes test career looks over.

Warner
Khawaja
Labu
Smith
Head
Marsh
Carey(wk)
Neser
Abbott
Cummins(C)
Murphy

Boags

Cricket Spectator
So I'm guessing England's target will be to try and run up 150 in 20 overs, and then have a brief crack at Australia before lunch?
That's probably what they'll do, but I think they should bat the session. Giving up 5 overs or so could be 50 runs at that point and potentially take batting out again of the equation. It wouldn't even bad if we get bowled in the morning, especially if that trend of balls keeping low continues - if it's doing it for them it'll do it for us.

Saturday isn't looking good, Sunday looks like interruptions but we should get a good amount of play in so they don't have to bowl them out on day 3, but will need a good chunk of the top order gone.

Last edited:

halba

International 12th Man
I wouldn’t play both he and Neser unless they were part of a 4 man pace attack. In which case I’d keep Starc and Cummins too.
Starc has a shoulder injury. Too short turnaround between tests.

They're going to lose anyway. The tour has gone rapidly south. It is now the tour from hell.

Might as well give them a go.

Kirkut

International Regular
It's totally different game when you just trying to survive. Bowlers can keep trying stuff when you know you don't get hit for runs
There should be a strategy to halt the bazball approach to batting for sure. It's a sacrilege and an insult to the batting technicians of the game to let this tactic thrive effortlessly.

Gob

International Coach
There should be a strategy to halt the bazball approach to batting for sure. It's a sacrilege and an insult to the batting technicians of the game to let this tactic thrive effortlessly.
Australia held off Bazball throughout this series though and this is the first time it really broke free. They threatened to do it few times but Aust somehow drag it back with wickets

Gob

International Coach
**** me it's gut wrenching to see Cummins being taken apart from Zak Crawley of all people after like giving 10 chances

Only has himself to blame Pat. Only followed this on cricinfo for the last two sessions but they were creating plenty of chances in the first session by bowling the channel

Flem274*

123/5
A lot of credit rightly been given to Crawley but gotta pay some to Moeen as well because I think more people thought Crawley could snag a ton than Moeen could score something at #3. He's not a long term #3 but he volunteered to do a job and he did it well, preventing Australia getting two quick poles and contributing a solid 50.

Crawley has to continue this little run he's on though. England have invested a lot of patience and probably dropped a few tests due to his (and others) lack of runs up top, so he needs to be more than a guy who can go huge every 10 tests but is a free wicket in between. Tons on the daily isn't expected but respectable scores between the big knocks are.

Kirkut

International Regular
Australia held off Bazball throughout this series though and this is the first time it really broke free. They threatened to do it few times but Aust somehow drag it back with wickets
Warner and Labuschagne underperforming has made it tough for Australia, not that they got out to good bowling all the time it's been either a rash shot or a soft dismissal.

Smith is ok since it is unrealistic for him to operate in god-mode all the time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
5th test if Starc injured

Abbott comes in. Boland was village in his two tests, Abbott is there on standby playing county and is a better replacement for Starc.

Atleast the batting depth is solid here.

Hazes test career looks over.

Warner
Khawaja
Labu
Smith
Head
Marsh
Carey(wk)
Neser
Abbott
Cummins(C)
Murphy
I genuinely think he's the best bowler in the world, but Paddy palpably looks like he's blowing out of his arse just now. Needs to hit the pine, IMHO, but with him being the skipper I guess it's a massive call.

Bowler of his quality shouldn't be going at nigh on 6 an over in tests, Bazball or not.

Think he needs to be stripped of the armband for his own good. Seems pretty bloody ordinary at it too. Head the obvious replacement now he's established beyond any reasonable doubt.

Woodster

International Captain
Great day yesterday for England and much needed given the precarious state of the series and the forecast on Saturday in particular.

Delighted for Crawley, not sure it was any different to the majority of the innings that he’s played. He looked in fine touch early, played some glorious strokes and got his luck when he played loosely and instead of those inside and outside edges going to hand they invariably flew to the boundary. It’s unlikely he’ll ever be consistent or average anything like over 40 during his Test career (happy to proved wrong on this) but innings like this are why England persevere with him in terms of setting the tempo and hopefully winning England a few more Test matches. The management seem happy with that as the outcome and this type of innings is a reward for their continued faith.

It’s clear to see the talent this guy has, he’s also shown some real balls this series amidst continued criticism and a stubbornness to continue playing his way, credit to Baz and Stokes for giving him the confidence to do this.