• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Time to quiet some ****s down here for sure......bring it!
I hope you're not referring to me, I haven't shut up on here since 2006. It won't be happening this Ashes etiher, save for when I'm on a long haul flight, but we'll have it wrapped up by then anyway.

Is your new avatar a pic of Stokes just before he hugged Joel Wilson?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wtf, never thought England would doctor pitches like the Indians do.
You clearly haven't been paying attention over the years.

I did see an interview with the Edgbaston curator where he said the only instruction he has received was to 'prepare a good cricket wicket', so I guess the only way to really know is on game day. He might have left the 'for us' off the end.

I still think Stokes' comment about requesting a certain type of wicket was designed more to get under the Aussie's skin than a reflection of what is going to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: FBU

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope you're not referring to me, I haven't shut up on here since 2006. It won't be happening this Ashes etiher, save for when I'm on a long haul flight, but we'll have it wrapped up by then anyway.

Is your new avatar a pic of Stokes just before he hugged Joel Wilson?
No im not referring to you......we know you won't stfu regardless of result. You'll be insufferable whatever happens. Although as my mate GIMH has alluded to......a convenient spell in the bin is quite on the cards should things not go well for team Aus.

But as for the rest of your comrades......this place will empty quicker than the MCG on boxing day 2010 by the end of the second test.

PS.

Ill text you later re our wager.......my beers are going to be the sweetest ever :D

Anthony Clayden

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
England XI: 1 Zak Crawley, 2 Ben Duckett, 3 Ollie Pope, 4 Joe Root, 5 Harry Brook, 6 Ben Stokes (capt), 7 Jonny Bairstow (wk), 8 Moeen Ali, 9 Stuart Broad, 10 Ollie Robinson, 11 James Anderson.

If Stokes can't bowl, and Ali is leaking runs, then Anderson and Broad will have to a bowl a lot. 5 Tests in 7 weeks, will take its toll.

Gob

International Coach
Its interesting that they are running with flatter wickets. Obviously I understand the thinking but looking back, every single ashes series Aust failed to win in England since 01 was mainly down to them not handling the moving ball well. May it be Flintoff/Jones in 05, Broad in 13,15 they had a tried and tested method. Australian batsman can score runs on flat wickets. They may not get to 450 - 500 in four sessions or try to at least but will get there eventually. Real challenge this time around is to Aust bowlers to contain England batsmen on what looks like very good batting conditions

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ball can still move plenty on flat wickets. Though if the current weather sticks around it won’t

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Its interesting that they are running with flatter wickets. Obviously I understand the thinking but looking back, every single ashes series Aust failed to win in England since 01 was mainly down to them not handling the moving ball well. May it be Flintoff/Jones in 05, Broad in 13,15 they had a tried and tested method. Australian batsman can score runs on flat wickets. They may not get to 450 - 500 in four sessions or try to at least but will get there eventually. Real challenge this time around is to Aust bowlers to contain England batsmen on what looks like very good batting conditions
It'll be very interesting if they're running with anything specific to be honest, instead of just producing the best deck they can.

Woodster

International Captain
From an England perspective, still a few reservations on the side but not sure we could select anything else at this stage for the first Test.

Yet to be convinced by Crawley and while Duckett has been excellent since returning to the side, still a question mark over his long-term selection for me but the management will give him plenty of backing.

Moeen is a disappointing selection in some respects but there’s very few spinners in the county game knocking, let alone banging, down the door to selection.

The approach is going to be predictable and exciting. Yes we’ll have a couple of collapses I’m sure, but we’re very much a live opponent for the Aussies.

Kraken

State Captain
What’s the buildup to this been like back home in Aus? I’m Obvs out here in Europe and expected my Facebook and instagram to be flooded with news + excitement, haven’t seen much tbh

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What’s the buildup to this been like back home in Aus? I’m Obvs out here in Europe and expected my Facebook and instagram to be flooded with news + excitement, haven’t seen much tbh
They’re trying to pretend it’s not happening. Which tbf might as well be the case for the bulk of their batsmen, so little time will they get to spend at the crease

Kraken

State Captain
They’re trying to pretend it’s not happening. Which tbf might as well be the case for the bulk of their batsmen, so little time will they get to spend at the crease
someone from Aus to respond properly pls
alternatively anyone here going to this? I’ll be there day 4 (should we not have battered your lot into submission by that point)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah the build up has been very low key in the public I think. Even some of my diehard cricket mates only realised it started tomorrow earlier this week. State of Origin season combined with the WTC final being so close has contributed a bit I think.

Kraken

State Captain
Yeah the build up has been very low key in the public I think. Even some of my diehard cricket mates only realised it started tomorrow earlier this week. State of Origin season combined with the WTC final being so close has contributed a bit I think.
****ing Freddy

chris.hinton

International Captain
Then 521/4.

Forget it mate, do yourself a favour and skip watching the series. It's done before it's started. Your attack needs green decks to bowl well on and your batsmen need flat decks to score well on. You can't have both at once, which was always going to be the issue for England and why the series won't be close as a contest. Back Australia at whatever odds they're paying now, because by Sunday they'll rightly be odds-on when the horrible reality hits England supporters and they try to salvage something by at least having a winning bet on the series.
Who are you trying to convince me or yourself? We have got you worried, your batting is getting old and the bowling is over the hill. We have a fresh outlook and plenty of confidence. after the 1st hour of play either way you will be revising your opinion on the ashes series and it will be downhill from there mate. England to win on the morning of the 5th day (Some Showers around at the weekend)

Warner is having a sleepless night about Stuart Broad lol