• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Re - not enforcing the follow on.

Yeah, don't try to win the match. 8-)

never give a sucker an even break. Don't give us a chance to regroup.

Last edited:

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
I absolutely do not want England batting last on this pitch with the Ashes at stake. Absolutely definitely positively not. So no follow-on should the chance arise please Mr.Strauss.

I get so nervous when we're actually on top in matches. The eternal pessimist inside me is just waiting for it to be thrown away so predictably. The fact that I despise Mitchell Johnson means that he's destined to absolutely murder a 100 here.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
I absolutely do not want England batting last on this pitch with the Ashes at stake. Absolutely definitely positively not. So no follow-on should the chance arise please Mr.Strauss.

I get so nervous when we're actually on top in matches. The eternal pessimist inside me is just waiting for it to be thrown away so predictably. The fact that I despise Mitchell Johnson means that he's destined to absolutely murder a 100 here.
Grow some balls. :p

tooextracool

International Coach
But doesn't matter - both Swann and Broad are bowling well. I haven't watched the series, but has Broad been bowling this well and has just been unlucky? If so, England have a massive talent here. This is the first day I'm watching it live on TV.
Nope, he picked up his game at Headingley where he was decent, and hes picked up his game further today. He was shocking at Cardiff and Lords though, absolutely terrible. Have to give him credit for being a quick learner though tbf to him.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah, had a strong feeling this would happen and said it many times. When the pressure was on, we threw it away. Top bowling, getting the worst of conditions whatever, this is not acceptable. Dead set disgrace.
..And this is the third time we have collapsed like this in this series, which again is just not acceptable.

tooextracool

International Coach

Yeah there's no way batting last would be a wise move on this pitch. 99 out of 100 times it makes sense to enforce the follow on but this is that 100th time. Dusty pitch which has undergone serious deterioration in the matter of 1.5 days. Not to mention, as you said I'd much rather England bowl to win the Ashes than England bat to win the Ashes.