• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Ha, was just about to agree with you (with a "but" rider) as Strauss cuts Johnson away for 4, lessening the weight of my point somewhat. Classic Strauss, seizing the width.

FTR my "but" was gonna be " it's understandable he doesn't wanna give it away given the rest of our batting".
TMS reckon he's deliberately shielding Bell from having to face Johnson. Interesting tactic for your number 3. But not unreasonable given how Bell's just played his first ball of this over.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
On this pitch - IT WILL crumble on the 4th and 5th day. If the match goes till the 5th day that is. The pace at which it is going at 4 runs an over, the draw will be kicked out if it continues.

pup11

International Coach
Looking at the way this pitch is already starting to detoriate, I think we have made a mistake by not playing Haurtiz, as for Clark not being effective, the condtions here hardly complemet his style of bowling, therefore he would largley have to depend on being accurate to pick some wickets.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
TMS reckon he's deliberately shielding Bell from having to face Johnson. Interesting tactic for your number 3. But not unreasonable given how Bell's just played his first ball of this over.
The Sky commentator was also mentioning the same strategy by Strauss which he didn't like but that's the only way you can save Bell, the way he has played.

JBH001

International Regular
Time for Mitch to throw up a full one to Bell, and look for the lbw or the caught behind.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, Holding said something similar. It's understandable, but kinda suggests Strauss doesn't much fancy Ding Dong as a test #3.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well done Bell, nice three, now stay at that end please. I'm all for shielding our number three, if that player is Ian Bell, TBH.

75-1, BTW Burgey...

JBH001

International Regular
Apart from some of the short pitched bowling from Mitch, I think Bell's looked better than he has all series. And as I type he plays a nice almost check drive through the covers. And then falls over with a hammy strain.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Apart from some of the short pitched bowling from Mitch, I think Bell's looked better than he has all series. And as I type he plays a nice almost check drive through the covers. And then falls over with a hammy strain, I think.
He played a rash stroke on the up on the off side too. Then there was the nudge towards the leg side off a ball just short of length. He has mainly struggled versus the short balls but other balls haven't been testing enough given the pitch. The pitch is great for batting right now as we are seeing with England managing 4 runs an over. These are precious runs which can help England reach that magical score of 400-450.

JBH001

International Regular
Ah, I see. Havent watched all of his batting as I have been switching between the two tests, and was earlier watching Murali bowl the second half of a 29 over spell. Still, reckon that Bell has not looked quite the startled rabbit in headlights he has looked so far in the series, apart that is, from some of the short pitched bowling from Bell.

Going from Bumble's remarks - dont think Cook is a solid enough opening bat to captain England.

Edit/ Strauss looks well focussed here. Knows that England need to bat for most of two days, and that a good part of that should come from him.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Hope we get a decent score on the board here. I reckon we're going to have to put them under scoreboard pressure and hope they bottle it.

Australia are going to be miles behind the over rate. I'm looking forward to seeing Hussey come on to bowl.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah.

On Strauss, he has been cautious but he has also looked to play his shots, if that makes any sense.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Flat wicket, flat Australian attack. No spinner is lunacy and not sure what Clark can do here unless it cracks.