• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dont know ho the Guardian got this before time, but Bopara out, Trott in, Panesar in, and Bell at 3.

England drop Ravi Bopara and bring in Jonathan Trott for Ashes finale | Sport | The Guardian
Hopps & The Guardian both fairly credible sources, so I'd be inclined to believe it. Hope he's wrong.

Thought this was interesting:

"That England will show faith in two Warwickshire batsmen, Bell and Trott, in England's most high-profile Test for four years also perhaps gives an inkling of the growing authority within the selection panel of the former England spinner Ashley Giles, whose role as Warwickshire's director of cricket may come more under the microscope should England fail again at The Oval."

Trott's selection has merit, he's been knocking on the door for a while, but Ding Dong's promotion to #3 after being less than convincing at four seems to defy logic. I know Dusty will trot out the same old "consistency of selection" tropes tomorrow at the conference, but surely at some point he'd like to see the fruits of his loyalty?

Having a man on the inside probably does our Ian no harm.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can just picture the selection meeting.

Right our batting is ****, we might need a second spinner in the squad to force a win. Lets go for the ****ing useless proven donkey who can't bat bowl or field and can't even get his average boosters this season with his sterling effort of 10 wickets at 72 in division 2 after just yesterday being spectacularly outbowled by some complete and total plodders.

Oh and we need some batting, should we try for an unknown or a proven waste of space who'll fail without question? Lets go for the proven shower of **** shall we.

Now I'll just get the Aussies on the phone and tell them mission here have the ****ing urn again is on course.

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
I'd rather throw Rashid in at the deep end than use Monty again, who'd drown in shalllow waters anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently a literary expert has decided that England's problems are caused by the number of nouns in the team. The words cook, bell, prior, swan and broad can all be used as nouns.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Everyone seems to have overlooked the most alarming part, which said that with Flintoff returning, Onions was the most likely pacer to step down. Surely that's a mistake? If Harmison plays ahead of him, I'm going to go ****ing mental.
Yeah, it's a truly disasterous decision (again).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Onions has probably been our most consistent seamer, dropping him would be a travesty.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Onions has probably been our most consistent seamer, dropping him would be a travesty.
Yeah I agree, his performances have been largely decent if not groundbreaking. Whereas Harmison has been up to his usual tricks of bashing it in short and being sent to the boundary time after time, and looking completely unthreatening even whilst bowling with the new ball. If this decision is true, which I expect it is, then it's just a massive kop out, bloody dire.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I am struggling to see how it could be true. What basis is there to select Harmison over Onions? I don't think harmison is even a decent punt these days because he so rarely pulls it off.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I am struggling to see how it could be true. What basis is there to select Harmison over Onions? I don't think harmison is even a decent punt these days because he so rarely pulls it off.
I would in most cases struggle to believe it as well, but the England selectors have already demonstrated this series that they do not have the common sense required to pick the best team, so to see Harmison lumber out at the Oval would not surprise me in the slightest, they seem to have some mental block which compels them to recall him all the time and not realise that he is rubbish. If Onions was dropped for anyone then it would have to be Sidebottom for mine. I hope the rumours going round that Monty will play are also ill founded, as I can't see him offering much either.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Based on who appears to be named in the squad, this should be the team:

Strauss*
Cook
Bell
Trott
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions

Anything other than that, forget about the urn

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Strauss*
Cook
Bell
Trott
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions

I would nearly agree, I think there would be room to change Onions for Sidebottom, not that they should, but I think if they did it would not massively adversely effect the chances of winning. But otherwise, yes I agree completely.

pup11

International Coach

Strauss*
Cook
Bell
Trott
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions

Apart from the fact that Bell is your no.3, that side looks pretty good, though I think Trott would bat at 5 and Colly would move up to no.4.