• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ah there we go, Panesar's tournament bowling average back over 70. Didn't even get any declaration charge wickets - must be really losing it.

tooextracool

International Coach
If Panesar plays at the Oval, it will be hands down the worst selection of the series and given the quality of some of the selections we've seen thus far this summer, that is really saying something.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
He makes Nicky Boje look good. Apparently, there is a ****load of assistance for the spinners but you wouldn't guess that looking at Monty's figures. And Tredwell already has two...

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Not 100%. In some area's its just as bad as division 2. For example ENG batsmen ability to play leg-spin hasn't improved. Mushy & Danish taking wickets season after season, but looking woeful for PAK in test proves this.
This has been a gripe of my own, but I feel it is more an exception rather than a 'for example'. The ability to play subcontinental spinners in general (they were shocking against Harbhajan too) has not improved in recent times and it is difficult to explain but not a reason to dismiss the level of Division One.

Outside Sidebottom, non are/where test quality. So its "rubbish" in the sense that its poor preparation for the AUS pace attack.
Hard to say that Adams was never Test quality, looking at how he did in his only Test and his FC stats (as well as watching him bowl). Shreck is not Test class but a solid FC opening seamer and Ealham is an experienced, canny bowler who is still taking wickets this season and so cannot be dismissed as over the hill. They are not near the Australian attack, but no FC attack can be expected to be.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Worth noting Danish Kaneria has never played in the first division of the county championship, he joined Essex in 04 and they were relegated in 03. His record for them is good but hardly fantastic.

Tahir ain't exactly tearing it up this year either, in fact, there's only 4 spinners with more than 20 wickets this season in the first division (Keedy, Blackwell, Tahir & Rashid)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not 100%. In some area's its just as bad as division 2. For example ENG batsmen ability to play leg-spin hasn't improved. Mushy & Danish taking wickets season after season, but looking woeful for PAK in test proves this.

Outside Sidebottom, non are/where test quality. So its "rubbish" in the sense that its poor preparation for the AUS pace attack.
This is actually a very good point imo, the best post I have ever seen you make in fact.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just to let you all know, Fox Sports 2 is running the highlights of Headingly. England currently 41-3 in the first innings.

Sorry. 42-4.

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant
Looks like Trott is in for Bopara according to the Guardian. We will see how he does tomorrow against Lee, Clark and Johnson.

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
To be fair, it's best they make the most of it before Fred and Ramps take them to the cleaners come next week. :happy:

tooextracool

International Coach
Tbh, I just dont see the selectors picking Ramps. Almost everytime I've thought, well that would be a good move, the selectors have almost always done the opposite. I expect Bell and Trott to be picked. Bell's selection will be explained away with 'we need his experience and his 50 at Edgbaston and runs in CC show that he is in good form' while Trott's will be explained with 'he was next in line'.

Flem274*

123/5

Seem to remember England getting raped by a certain Andre Adams. :p