• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2023/24

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean if the most you've got is complaints about a team celebrating a match they have won, then you've got nothing.
Not just that but if they lost they are basically out of the title race so a win was massive. It was obvious they would celebrate.

Uppercut

Liverpool got absolutely dominated from start to finish and their best players looked like Sunday league rejects. Only one game, still a very good team, not writing them off etc etc. But it’s pretty obvious their fans are rattled by the performance and are pretending it’s about Arteta and the photographer to cope.

Skipper Pup

U19 Vice-Captain
Not much to complain or cope about, we're top of the league.

I actually thought my initial post was quite balanced and praising of Arsenal, some took exception to the Arteta comment which I understand. Klopp does that sort of thing sometimes and it can be cringe.

Last edited:

Skipper Pup

U19 Vice-Captain
Liverpool got absolutely dominated from start to finish and their best players looked like Sunday league rejects. Only one game, still a very good team, not writing them off etc etc. But it’s pretty obvious their fans are rattled by the performance and are pretending it’s about Arteta and the photographer to cope.
First half Arsenal definitely the better side, 2nd half LFC were on top until the mistake. As I said in my initial post, you can't legislate for world class players making errors like that.

I'm all for the sentiment of your post and it's fair to say LFC fans are annoyed by that performance, but at least do the game some justice haha.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Not much to complain or cope about, we're top of the league.
Given the form that they'd been in, I was surprised how poor Liverpool were yesterday though. The game will be remembered for the defensive howlers, but the scoreline didn't flatter Arsenal - they basically missed 2 sitters as well. I think I probably underestimated Szoboslai, he seems to be the key lynchpin for the midfield now.

I'm still not sure how anyone stops City though. With KdB and Haaland returning to full fitness, they're only going to get stronger.

Skipper Pup

U19 Vice-Captain
Given the form that they'd been in, I was surprised how poor Liverpool were yesterday though. The game will be remembered for the defensive howlers, but the scoreline didn't flatter Arsenal - they basically missed 2 sitters as well. I think I probably underestimated Szoboslai, he seems to be the key lynchpin for the midfield now.

I'm still not sure how anyone stops City though. With KdB and Haaland returning to full fitness, they're only going to get stronger.
Yeah same, but it kind of makes sense in hindsight. TAA didn't look fit, I doubt he would have started if Bradley had been available. Szobo out was a big issue because he's our legs in midfield, Grav was never ready for that sort of occasion and I think Klopp was worried about lack of height if he started Elliott.

For me though our biggest miss was Darwin, who had a foot injury that kept him on the bench and he never got into the game. We had nothing going forward and I really didn't enjoy Gakpo playing from the right, that didn't make sense.

Those three outs were a massive reason we looked so poor compared to the Chelsea game imo. Realistically though I think that game was going exactly to plan after 60min, we looked comfortable with a draw and the crowd was starting to get anxious and desperate for a breakthrough which would have led to Arsenal over-committing. Whether we go on to score is another question entirely but I felt we had started to gain control and looked the better side before that huge error from VVD.

With some luck we'll have Salah back for next game and a few of these other issues will naturally resolve themselves.

There's a lot of reactionary stuff floating around the internet (LFC fans are pretty bad for this), as there was after Arsenal's defeats in January, but overall it's a loss we just need to dust ourselves of from and move on. There's still a league to be won and the race is in our hands.

Last edited:

Uppercut

First half Arsenal definitely the better side, 2nd half LFC were on top until the mistake. As I said in my initial post, you can't legislate for world class players making errors like that.

I'm all for the sentiment of your post and it's fair to say LFC fans are annoyed by that performance, but at least do the game some justice haha.
I would say Arsenal were in control for most, but not all, of the game, and that they created far more in the spells when they were on top than Liverpool did when they were. Liverpool had to work quite hard to break Arsenal down, whereas Arsenal just carved through Liverpool. It's true that the second goal was a freak, but the Liverpool goal was pure Sunday League **** too.

One team played far better football than the other, but maybe domination is the wrong word. Pre-Guardiola we would have called it a domination, but the bar has kind of been raised in the past 15 years.

Skipper Pup

U19 Vice-Captain
I would say Arsenal were in control for most, but not all, of the game, and that they created far more in the spells when they were on top than Liverpool did when they were. Liverpool had to work quite hard to break Arsenal down, whereas Arsenal just carved through Liverpool. It's true that the second goal was a freak, but the Liverpool goal was pure Sunday League **** too.

One team played far better football than the other, but maybe domination is the wrong word. Pre-Guardiola we would have called it a domination, but the bar has kind of been raised in the past 15 years.
The better team on the night won, that's for sure.

We didn't create much of note all game but we're not a side that needs many chances either. At no point prior to that 2nd goal did I feel like Arsenal were going to score again, meanwhile we were slowly making our way up the pitch and the crowd was getting restless.

It felt like a bit like the FA cup game where we started to get a grip of the game... except VVD flipped the script.

By the time the 3rd goal went in we had a back 3 of Robertson, Van Dijk and Thiago, which is pretty comical when you think about it.

Ali TT

International Regular
Wasn't he upset about players taking photos with team officials while doing celebration laps?

Edit - just checked; it was actually Neville that had a go at Arteta for the celebration.
Yeah but he calls having a weekend break a "mini-retirement"

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wasn't it Neil Maupay who hadn't scored for years? He's been making up for it recently.
1 goal all season for Everton last year. Has now scored in his last 5 games, absolute hero.

Everything else about yesterday was rather inevitable though. Am still in the 'we will be fine camp' but got to get through this horrible run of fixtures.