• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2023/24

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think the best hope for Arsenal is to still be within 2 on the final day. City have shown more than once they're susceptible in the last game at home, they've got away with it before, but West Ham could easily cause issues.

Ironically, I will be in Lisbon on that day visiting my Best Man - he's a massive Arsenal fan and it will take us back to Uni days of a certain Andy Linighan goal to win a Cup Final Replay (he properly trashed our house in celebration that night).
Aaah, I mistakenly thought that Spurs away was the last game of the season. Hadn't realised it was actually the penultimate game. That changes things somewhat.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBF another Manchester team who were also involved in a race with the Arsenal for the title (whatever happened to them? :ph34r:) actually did have yer Spurts as their last fixture way back in 98/99 when anything other than a victory would've (likely) handed the title to the Arse, who had a relatively cosy home game verses the Villa and the Lilyshites actually took the lead.

Before succumbing 2-1. But my point is teams' deadliest rivals don't always hit the canvass just to eff up their nearest and undearest's chances.

Remember 94/95? Blackburn and that other Manchester team were competing for the crown with the former holding a two point advantage going into the final round of fixtures.

Blackburn had Liverpool and the other side had a trip to yer Irons who were safe in midtable with nowt to play for.

I'm sure the red half of Liverpool would've happily seen their chaps roll over, but they actually beat Rovers 2-1, handing the title to that other Mancunian team.

Except, hilariously, said Mancs failed to beat the Hammers and Blackburn took the ring.

Good times.

Molehill

International Captain
So many people thought they'd win it so has been hilarious to see the humble pie dished up as they bottled it.

Hopefully next season expectations are a bit more realistic.
I remember at the start of the season the BBC Football Editor Phil McNulty (Liverpool fan) doing his predictions. He had City winning and Liverpool 2nd. City winning is hardly contentious, but I just couldn't see why Liverpool would finish above Arsenal (they didn't the previous season and then Arsenal bought Rice). It's ended up being closer than I expected, but it won't happen.

Top 4 should be the aim for next season again, but there's no way they should be challenging City really.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Remember 94/95? Blackburn and that other Manchester team were competing for the crown with the former holding a two point advantage going into the final round of fixtures.

Blackburn had Liverpool and the other side had a trip to yer Irons who were safe in midtable with nowt to play for.

I'm sure the red half of Liverpool would've happily seen their chaps roll over, but they actually beat Rovers 2-1, handing the title to that other Mancunian team.

Except, hilariously, said Mancs failed to beat the Hammers and Blackburn took the ring.

Good times.
I think that was the year when Cantona's kung fu exploits at the Palace and subsequent suspension effectively cost Man Utd the title. Which seemed like a win-win situation, what with the NF sypathising fan getting a good kicking and Fergie's boys ending up second for a change. Good times indeed.

Niall

International Coach
I think the best hope for Arsenal is to still be within 2 on the final day. City have shown more than once they're susceptible in the last game at home, they've got away with it before, but West Ham could easily cause issues.
West Ham are absolutely rubbish, if City need to beat them by seven goals they will.

Looking at City's fixtures its pretty kind especially considering how clutch they are in this scenario, Wolves and West Ham at home and Fulham away who they have a sensational record against and who aren't exactly on fire atm.

Spurs away is the obvious concern, but even if City slip up, Old Trafford has not been a happy hunting ground for Arsenal even since Fergie left and they entered their banter era.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think that was the year when Cantona's kung fu exploits at the Palace and subsequent suspension effectively cost Man Utd the title. Which seemed like a win-win situation, what with the NF sypathising fan getting a good kicking and Fergie's boys ending up second for a change. Good times indeed.
They blew the double in a week as lost in FA Cup final to Everton as well.

Molehill

International Captain
Burns Night 1995, I remember it vividly as I watched the game in a pub in Largs, my first visit to a Scottish pub.

Turns out it was quite an eventful season for the Premier League.........

In January 1995, Manchester United's 28-year-old French striker Eric Cantona (then holder of the PFA Players' Player of the Year award) assaulted a Crystal Palace fan who verbally abused him[5] in his team's 1–1 draw at Selhurst Park. Cantona was banned from football for eight months, fined £20,000 and sentenced to 14 days in prison. The prison sentence was later reduced to 120 hours community service on appeal.

Chelsea midfielder Dennis Wise was convicted of criminal damage and assault, relating to a fight with a taxi driver in London. He was given a three-month prison sentence but the conviction and prison sentence were quickly overturned on appeal.

Arsenal midfielder Paul Merson admitted in November 1994 that he was an alcoholic and was also addicted to cocaine and gambling. He underwent a three-month drug rehabilitation programme before being allowed to resume his playing career.

Crystal Palace striker Chris Armstrong failed a drugs test in February 1995 but admitted that he had done wrong and returned to action after just four weeks undergoing rehabilitation. Armstrong was Palace's leading goalscorer in 1994–95, helping them reach the semi-finals of both domestic cup competitions, but was unable to prevent them from being relegated back to the First Division just one season after winning promotion.

Arsenal manager George Graham was sacked in February 1995 after nearly nine years in charge, when it was revealed that he had accepted an illegal payment of £425,000 from Norwegian agent Rune Hauge relating to the purchases of Norwegian and Danish players Pål Lydersen and John Jensen three years earlier. Graham was later banned from football for one year by the FA.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As was Tranmere beating B*lton 1-0 on Good Friday to go top of Div 1 and leave automatic promotion in our own hands. We needed just 9 points from our final five games.

Lost 0-5, 0-2, 1-5 before drawing our two final games to sneak into the last play-off place and have been **** for 29 years since, save a couple of lower league promotions and a handful of play-off failures

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
I remember at the start of the season the BBC Football Editor Phil McNulty (Liverpool fan) doing his predictions. He had City winning and Liverpool 2nd. City winning is hardly contentious, but I just couldn't see why Liverpool would finish above Arsenal (they didn't the previous season and then Arsenal bought Rice). It's ended up being closer than I expected, but it won't happen.

Top 4 should be the aim for next season again, but there's no way they should be challenging City really.
That's true, even if they strengthen the squad and players continue to develop you'd have to expect Slot will need at least a season to consolidate top 4. Arteta and Pep are years ahead in terms of their respective projects.

What's going to be most fascinating is how Edwards deals with all these Klopp signings - Nunez, Diaz, Gravenberch, Gakpo etc. The only recent signing I think Edwards would have given the green light is Mac Allister. So whilst I reckon Slot will get some power in terms of deciding who he wants to stay around, you can almost bet Edwards will be making the final call and we're going to quickly see some players exit.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Edwards definitely would have green lit Nunez. The data analytics crowd had him as a generational talent. I think they still do.

Molehill

International Captain
Edwards definitely would have green lit Nunez. The data analytics crowd had him as a generational talent. I think they still do.
Presumably that's based on his ability to find himself in scoring positions as opposed to actually scoring.

Meanwhile, of the 14 players out of contract at Portsmouth, 10 have been let go, including 2 absolute stalwarts of the promotion season. I'm sure they'll not be short of offers, but it highlights the plight of players lower down the pyramid and the battle to earn a living.