• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It felt to me like the Everton fans liked Lampard as a person and it made them slow to realise or admit how bad a manager he was. He understood fan vibes and how to manage them.

Unlike, say, Jesse Marsch, whose Leeds team were playing perfectly serviceable football but couldn't ride out a bad run because he completely botched the vibe management with his Americanness.
Well, I partly agree, but I think that’s an important part of being a manager.

It looked odd from the outside when Tranmere sacked Keith Hill right before the play-offs. The reality was he’d attacked the fans for months in interviews (based on twitter comments!!!) and then finally came out with a bizarre interview after the last regular game. The fans were back for play-offs and the chairman knew it would be bad for the team if such an atmosphere unfolded.

Obviously it will only go so far, but I guess what I’m saying is if they hated Lampard as a bloke too, results might have gone even worse.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Club loyalty isn't the vehicle for political leanings in England in quite the same way as it is in Italy or Spain, say, but Everton seems to have a pretty strong left tilt to their fanbase, so I often wondered how Arbuckle's "I'm Tory, me." schtick went down with them.

Then again, big Sol was both tory and T*ttenham and I was more than happy he came over to the side of righteousness because he was probably the best defender I've seen wear the red and white, so am familiar with pragmatic moral relativism when it suits.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, I partly agree, but I think that’s an important part of being a manager.

It looked odd from the outside when Tranmere sacked Keith Hill right before the play-offs. The reality was he’d attacked the fans for months in interviews (based on twitter comments!!!) and then finally came out with a bizarre interview after the last regular game. The fans were back for play-offs and the chairman knew it would be bad for the team if such an atmosphere unfolded.

Obviously it will only go so far, but I guess what I’m saying is if they hated Lampard as a bloke too, results might have gone even worse.
Yeah I agree with all of this but really as a fan you’d prefer a bad manager with bad vibes. Popular but incompetent managers stick around much longer and do more damage. If Lampard had been sacked when Gerrard was sacked they might not be where they are now.

Molehill

International Captain
Big Sam in at Leeds. With games against City (A), Newcastle (H), West Ham (A) and Spurs (H) to come, will they even get another point? Seems like Sam's been given 2 games before trying to get 4 out of the last 2 and see if that's enough.

peterhrt

U19 Vice-Captain
Big Sam in at Leeds. With games against City (A), Newcastle (H), West Ham (A) and Spurs (H) to come, will they even get another point? Seems like Sam's been given 2 games before trying to get 4 out of the last 2 and see if that's enough.
Recent form poor, difficult remaining fixtures, normally loyal fans getting stroppy, second-favourites with the bookies to go down. There's nothing to lose really, provided the appointment is only until the end of the season.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Everton's remaning fixtures are absolutely dire for them, which is highly expedient. Though, that said, I will end up being torn between seeing them relegated and wanting them to do Arsenal a (massively unlikely) favour against City.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Is it just me or do Everton have a habit of getting flukey results against City?

City winning all their games seems likely, but things rarely work out as you may think they would on paper.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Gerrard has at least won stuff as a manager I guess, unlike Lampard. But bragging about winning the SPL is a bit like bragging about winning an egg and spoon race.
Stuff like this completely ignores the circumstances Gerrard inherited in 2018. Celtic's turnover was double ours in 2018, and they had loads of cash in the bank from 6 years of European football and player sales compared to us. Gerrard winning a title 3 years after taking over was a minor miracle.

It also ignores the very real progress made in Europe. Gerrard immediately got us through 4 qualifying rounds to the Europa League group stages - something no other club had done before. Then did it again the following season.

Beale was the tactical mastermind behind Gerrard but he was definitely the figurehead and the one who called the shots at the end of the day.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Most of the blues I know are season ticket holders and none of them were really calling for Lampard’s head; they felt the blame lay above him. I don’t know many Villa fans but it seemed from clips online etc they had turned on Gerrard hugely at games.
I think a part of that is that Gerrard was obviously using Villa as a stepping stone to the job he really wanted, whereas Lampard wound up at Everton having been sacked from his dream job. It's not hard to see why Villa fans didn't have as much of a tolerance for Gerrard given the suspicion he'd bin them off if Liverpool came calling.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think the fact that he did a good job at Rangers (as told by our resident Teddy Bear) will leave Gerrard with credit in the bank and he’ll get another crack at midtable Prem outfit to try and forge a reputation, whereas Lampard would likely have to drop lower than he’s prepared to to get another gig now.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think the fact that he did a good job at Rangers (as told by our resident Teddy Bear) will leave Gerrard with credit in the bank
I think his stint at Villa will have used up a lot of that credit personally. He did a great job at us but also underachieved, his domestic cup record here was atrocious, and success in Scotland isn't exactly taken seriously in England.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Could see Lampard doing a Scott Parker and embarking on a disastrous overseas venture tbh.
All I think of when I picture Scott Parker now is when someone set his post-match play-off final interview when Fulham manager to Dry Your Eyes by The Streets

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the fact that he did a good job at Rangers (as told by our resident Teddy Bear) will leave Gerrard with credit in the bank and he’ll get another crack at midtable Prem outfit to try and forge a reputation, whereas Lampard would likely have to drop lower than he’s prepared to to get another gig now.
Which mid-table team would hire Gerrard? All of the teams stupid enough to do that have been relegated by now. Brighton, Brentford, Fulham, Wolves etc don’t do the whole English ex-player with a mediocre coaching CV thing.

Maybe West Ham when Moyes leaves, but options are limited. The table is running out of fish.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Which mid-table team would hire Gerrard? All of the teams stupid enough to do that have been relegated by now. Brighton, Brentford, Fulham, Wolves etc don’t do the whole English ex-player with a mediocre coaching CV thing.

Maybe West Ham when Moyes leaves, but options are limited. The table is running out of fish.
Yeah maybe a Championship gig more likely. Who knows. Can’t see him giving up the ghost just yet.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Talking about Gerrard wasn't he? They despise Lampard at West Ham anyway don't they?

Anyway I can see West Ham trying for a big name European coach.