• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I’m not even sure if it’s worse than that time he had Chelsea in mid-table while constantly blaming his players, then when he left they immediately won the champions league.
It's tough, but if they lose this game and then the next one, his record will match that of Tony Adams' stint as managed of Granada (i.e. 7 matches - 100% losing record). That has to be worth something.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Right back at the start of the season there was a lot of banter about which of Gerrard/Lampard was the worse manager. I like that, having not quite managed Gerrardian levels of incompetence at Everton, Frank has somehow still managed to find a way to outdo him before the season finished.
and yet neither quite reach the incompetency of fellow England midfielder and captain Scott Parker this year. Basically begging to be sacked by saying his team wasn't good enough, a team that under an unsung manager has managed mid-table, then his unfortunate Belgium adventure.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Right back at the start of the season there was a lot of banter about which of Gerrard/Lampard was the worse manager. I like that, having not quite managed Gerrardian levels of incompetence at Everton, Frank has somehow still managed to find a way to outdo him before the season finished.
Where has this narrative that Lampard wasn't a total dud at Everton come from?

Molehill

International Captain
Lampard's last 20 games as a manager now reads 17 defeats, 2 draws and 1 win.

After our discussions yesterday, I had a good look at their team and bench last night. How on earth did he come up with that midfield 3 (Kante, Kovacic and Fernandez)? Surely 2 of those and Gallagher, for example, would be a far better balance? Hardly surprising they found themselves pinned into their own half. It was made worse by the fact Sterling couldn't be bothered and Aubameyang rarely breaks into a jog. And then you had Madueke who looks a real talent but got no support.

The Chelsea bench had Gallagher, Havertz, Mudryk, Felix, Loftus-Cheeke, Ziyech amongst them. I don't know their full squad, but the likes of James, Cucurella and Pulisic weren't there either. Clearly they need to lose a few wingers, but it's not hard to work out which ones, and get a decent striker. But If a good manager can't make a Top 4 challenge out of that squad I'd be amazed.

Molehill

International Captain
Gerrard was definitely worse. Villa were the literal worst team in the league and since Emery arrived they’d be 2nd. Lampard was awful but he did also have bad players.
It makes you wonder, just how bad were Celtic in 2020-21 to allow Gerrard's Rangers to win the SPL?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It makes you wonder, just how bad were Celtic in 2020-21 to allow Gerrard's Rangers to win the SPL?
Celtic completely cracked as soon as any pressure was put on them (January and February 2021 was just hilarious comedy gold) but Celtic didn't 'allow' us to win anything. We got 102 points and didn't lose in the league all season ffs.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Most of the blues I know are season ticket holders and none of them were really calling for Lampard’s head; they felt the blame lay above him. I don’t know many Villa fans but it seemed from clips online etc they had turned on Gerrard hugely at games.

Now I will caveat this by saying I detest the views of many of the people who sit around me at TRFC games, but still I think it’s a decent gauge of who was doing worse.

The Gerrard SPL title gives him an overall edge on Lampard though surely?

Molehill

International Captain
I'm not sure. As you said, the Everton job is a poisoned chalice at the moment, it's not like Dyche has found the solution either. Chelsea is fairly similar, it will need a Summer of sorting. But what Emery has done since joining Villa really does throw a huge amount of questions at whatever Gerrard was up to.

With due respect to Furball, I do think titles won in Scotland should have an asterisk against them (especially during the Covid period)......unless you do it with Aberdeen!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Some genuinely quite good managers have had a turgid time at Everton tbf, so despite his evident badness I think it's probably fair to say Lampard wasn't entirely to blame for their plight. The rot had well and truly set in before he arrived. His arrival probably just exacerbated things. Much like his return to Chelsea actually, who are now (hilariously) far worse than they were under Potter.

Gerrard has at least won stuff as a manager I guess, unlike Lampard. But bragging about winning the SPL is a bit like bragging about winning an egg and spoon race.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most of the blues I know are season ticket holders and none of them were really calling for Lampard’s head; they felt the blame lay above him. I don’t know many Villa fans but it seemed from clips online etc they had turned on Gerrard hugely at games.

Now I will caveat this by saying I detest the views of many of the people who sit around me at TRFC games, but still I think it’s a decent gauge of who was doing worse.

It felt to me like the Everton fans liked Lampard as a person and it made them slow to realise or admit how bad a manager he was. He understood fan vibes and how to manage them.

Unlike, say, Jesse Marsch, whose Leeds team were playing perfectly serviceable football but couldn't ride out a bad run because he completely botched the vibe management with his Americanness.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Thought the accepted narrative was that Michael Beale was the real mastermind of that triumph?

Given the trajectories of their careers since him and Stevie G parted ways I'm more inclined than not to believe it too.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thought the accepted narrative was that Michael Beale was the real mastermind of that triumph?

Given the trajectories of their careers since him and Stevie G parted ways I'm more inclined than not to believe it too.
I believe it too but tbf he really only needs about 1% of the credit to be better than Lampard.