• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
A knock out is when two teams play against each other and the one that doesn't win is knocked out

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A knock out is when two teams play against each other and the one that doesn't win is knocked out
Knockout is also what well known lovely guy Finley Quaye sings without any prescience at the end of Your Love Gets Sweeter.

Presumably thinking of his dying mate that he headbutted or the bar manager that he assaulted when that ol' love was getting sweeter.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Lampard presumably saving his men for the lucrative overseas friendlies that PL clubs are going to play instead of letting the non World Cup players rest. That’s not to say that all eleven didn’t deserve to be dropped after the abysmal performance at the weekend. :santa:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I know Liverpool won anyway and no one would have cared if they'd been shafted, but the standard of lines....... assistant referees is appalling.

The first penalty here he's standing a few yards away looking right down the line and sees nothing wrong with the save.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
the enforcement of the keepers on their lines penalty rule is one of those things that seems to be entirely cyclical to me

it comes into fashion, and it gets enforced quite rigorously for a while, until everyone gets a bit bored of it/cbf, then keepers then slowly begin to take liberties with it again until it reaches the stage that they're really beginning to take the piss (e.g. Dida in the 2003 CL final where he was basically on the 6 yard line), people whine and the cycle begins again

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I realise it’s not a problem in shootouts but I’m so much more bothered by defenders encroaching before the kick is taken

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
both are pretty annoying imo, as is defenders running into the box too early when non-shootout penalties are being taken

this is surely not a particularly complicated aspect of the rules of the game (particularly for professional players I suppose) and yet...

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I know Liverpool won anyway and no one would have cared if they'd been shafted, but the standard of lines....... assistant referees is appalling.

The first penalty here he's standing a few yards away looking right down the line and sees nothing wrong with the save.

As a Liverpool fan I'd have cared if we'd been shafted last night. :laughing:

The problem last night was there's no VAR in the Carabao Cup so it was up to the linesman who was bloody useless.

In the PL or Europe, that pen would have been taken again.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The only downside is that the Southgate haters are already out in force over Toney not making the WC squad, and will probably keep at it unless England win the thing. Good player, and I'd take him at Palace in a heartbeat, but it's hardly a scandal that Wilson and Rashford will be on the plane instead of him.