• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

Tom Halsey

International Coach
5 League goals for Valencia now, more than pulling his weight.
Yeah, it's worth noting that so far we're scoring more goals per game than in any of our previous three title seasons. I'd say we're not missing Ronaldo as much as is often made out.

The problem has been at the back, which isn't surprising really.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why are clubs allowed to start the season in the Premiership when thy are facing financial meltdown? I know about the -10 points rule if a club goes into administration, but it shouldn't have to happen.They should be relegated down to the Championship and then the next placed team or the runner up in the play-off final gets their spot. This is what happens in Italy.
Depends when it looks like they're going bust. Usually it happens at the end of the season because they can't raise the fees to play the next year or there's been trouble with wages and they've carried on with youth team players (Weymouth).

Portsmouth were supposed to have been bought by Arabs with money....turns out that's just simply not the case.

cpr

International Coach
Yeah, it's worth noting that so far we're scoring more goals per game than in any of our previous three title seasons. I'd say we're not missing Ronaldo as much as is often made out.

In fairness to that, Ronny spent the first half of last season injured, didnt kick in till after Christmas.

If Rooney keeps this up though, who gives a ****.

Craig

World Traveller
Depends when it looks like they're going bust. Usually it happens at the end of the season because they can't raise the fees to play the next year or there's been trouble with wages and they've carried on with youth team players (Weymouth).

Portsmouth were supposed to have been bought by Arabs with money....turns out that's just simply not the case.
So have the Arbas said they are going to put down the money and haven't done so, or what? :wacko:

Matteh

So have the Arbas said they are going to put down the money and haven't done so, or what? :wacko:
They got taken over by one guy first who said he could put millions into the club. They then got bought again about 2 months later by another group who said the same, only for the players to not get paid and now they're struggling to pay their taxes.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
5 League goals for Valencia now, more than pulling his weight.
And 7 in all competitions - our equal second top scorer so far this season. He's copped a lot of flak for not being Ronaldo, but IMO he's done really well.

Indeed - you can't lose so many defenders en masse for weeks at a time and not feel it. I've been critical of a lot of our performances this year but the fact that we've stayed in touch despite the injury list has me pretty optimistic for the new year.

grecian

He's got to buy a striker and a centre-half hasn't he? If vermaelan and Gallas are injured you lot are so screwed. It's all very well talking about when Bentdners fit, but what people are forgetting is he's just a bit ****. Eduardo seems to be gone too.

Anyway, Happy New Year to those on this thread, it's generally enjoyable in here, with sensible and not too much idiotically partisan chat which you get elsewhere on 'tinterweb:)

Jarquis

Yeah, I'd like another CB but not sure of the chances of it happening. Vermaelen has proved it's worth spending money on quality players at the back. What's the situation with Senderos? Going? Staying?
I think a reason Wenger won't want too spend a lot on a CB is because of Djourou, looked great at times last season but if what duffer said about a supposed degenerative knee condition, then we can't rely on him too much either.

I do want to see a striker though. A keeper would be nice but I doubt that too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He's got to buy a striker and a centre-half hasn't he? If vermaelan and Gallas are injured you lot are so screwed. It's all very well talking about when Bentdners fit, but what people are forgetting is he's just a bit ****. Eduardo seems to be gone too.

Anyway, Happy New Year to those on this thread, it's generally enjoyable in here, with sensible and not too much idiotically partisan chat which you get elsewhere on 'tinterweb:)
Happy New Year mate, disappointed that you don't find me to be idiotically partisan though

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Too you too, mate. :)

& Yeah, think a striker is a necessity, tbh. Bendtner's ok and all but I think the boy's got a touch of the Bentleys; he reckons he's an awful lot better than the evidence so far points to. Eduardo definitely seems to have lost a bit of heart for the fight too, yes. Understandable, given the horrow show of a break he had, but midly disappointing all the same. Vela not the finished article (his chance to goal ratio must be rank) and Arshavin's not really the man to lead the line given he's about 3' 10".

A centre-half would be nice, but I'm less confident we'll get one. Maybe Upson might come back given yer Irons' (apparent) dire financial straits, but he's probably too old and too English for Sir Arsene.

cpr

International Coach
Happy New Year mate, disappointed that you don't find me to be idiotically partisan though
Passed over to deluded tbh.

Cant see much activity at our end tbh, when fit our squads pretty decent. Possibly a centre back now O'Shea out for a few months, plus no signs of Rio or Evans, leaving our choices at Brown, Vidic, midgets and midfielders.

At the begining of the season would've liked to see an out and out left winger, now I'd like to see Obertan given a run

Pothas

My first prediction of 2010 is that all of the league one conitngent on this thread are going to stay up, think we are all in the bottom half at the moment but it will be fine, Bees have hit the giddy heights of 11th now anyway!

Third round day tomrow which I always look forward to, first time we have made it for a couple of years. Might well have the worst draw ever though, Doncaster is one of the least glamerous teams you could think of but they are actually pretty good, which makes defeat the most likely outcome. We are at home though so might have half a chance.

grecian

Am I not guilty by location? :p
Nah your alright, infact by deciding not to support the dark (green) side your showing many of your ilk a clear and more decent path, even if that path is the Arse.

Reminds me of wandering into Elland Road, and arguing with my bro about whether the coach that proclaimed the banner "Plymouth Leeds United supporters", was the most evil thing in the world. As I averred earlier I think not, as even the dirties are better then the Slime.

duffer

Cheers grecian, happy NY to all as well.

As for buying, I can't see too much happening. I actually rate Bentdner as a top prospect (for all his faults he got 15 for us last season) and would be very suited to the single front man role we currently ask of our striker. Would love a Chamakh but that's probably a Bosman move later this year.

A defender I would really like but Nordtveit has been very impressive on loan in the Bundesliga and is a very good prospect who'll be back next season. Can see Senderos out with Nordtveit taking his place in the summer and not much else on that front.