• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Season Thread (2005)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
kendall said:
he isnt quite that large although his face is very off puttting and makes him instantly unlikablle
He's not unlikeable at all, I've met him and he's a top bloke, really friendly and appreciative of the England fans. And he's not that big either, no.

However, I won't forget the sledge that the South Africa U19 team reportedly used when he came out to bat - "He'll be knackered soon boys, he's sweating Big Macs out here."

Pure gold. :D

Rich2001

International Captain
kendall said:
whare is this game being played?
Canterbury, but it has rained for about 3 days leading upto the game and still very overcast and ideal for swing/pace bowling... though the pitch has taken turn as well so a pretty bad day to be a batsman (which is not custom to Canterbury, normally the other way around)

But I must say, nice catch Walker! :cool:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
A rich vein of form, that's for sure.

Has it coincided with him going in more at 3 and 4 SP?

I think I remember he was at 5 last year?
Well he'd have probably been stranded in the low 100s in his last 2 big scores (190 and 181) if he'd batted lower down, him moving up the order and Hussey and Benkenstein coming into the team are what has helped, giving him lots of time to bat properly. And yea he'll have batted lower last year.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pedro Delgado said:
Romanticism. Stick with Bell, he's the future. If he fails against McGrath or Warne then so be it, he's still the future.
If sides always played for "the future" in test cricket, they could become very mediocre indeed.. As well as being an insult to people who demand results in the present..

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
If sides always played for "the future" in test cricket, they could become very mediocre indeed.. As well as being an insult to people who demand results in the present..
But as I said, Thorpe has retired.

Scaly piscine

Sheesh, Somerset score 303ao off 68.3 overs at over 4 an over (last 4 wickets went down for no run), but Davies takes 3-29 off 16.3 overs. Absolutely amazing how he keeps doing it.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Sheesh, Somerset score 303ao off 68.3 overs at over 4 an over (last 4 wickets went down for no run), but Davies takes 3-29 off 16.3 overs. Absolutely amazing how he keeps doing it.
Is it just me or is he doing it with alarming regularity for a medium-pacer these days? He's got an FC average of around 22 I think - can someone (preferably an England selector) tell me what makes Jon Lewis better than him? I'm having trouble figuring it out.

Scaly piscine

Barney Rubble said:
Is it just me or is he doing it with alarming regularity for a medium-pacer these days? He's got an FC average of around 22 I think - can someone (preferably an England selector) tell me what makes Jon Lewis better than him? I'm having trouble figuring it out.
Well as far as Tests go, Davies undoubtedly should be ahead of Lewis. I hope Langeveldt was at Taunton, still a bit worried Durham might leave Somerset 350-400 and end up chasing it successfully.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Well as far as Tests go, Davies undoubtedly should be ahead of Lewis. I hope Langeveldt was at Taunton, still a bit worried Durham might leave Somerset 350-400 and end up chasing it successfully.
He's posted some pics from the last couple of days - Johnson bowling and Collingwood batting - so I know he's been there. I think it was Tuesday and Thursday he said he was going to be there, so that means he was indeed there today.

Durham lead by 233 going into day 4, with only one wicket down - Mike Hussey falling to the bowling of Graeme Smith, of all people.

Not sure Somerset's target will be as high as 350-400 - if Durham want to give themselves a minimum 80 overs to bowl them out, then they'll bat 20 at the beginning of tomorrow and look to get another 80-90 on the board, leaving Somerset chasing 320-odd in 80 overs. 4 an over, that's do-able, but it's certainly not going to be easy if Davies continues this freakishly good form. Or if Durham have a slog and do manage to get the target up to 350-odd.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Scaly piscine said:
ja I was at Taunton, taking photos (check the thread)... I left however at tea when Blackwell was smacking everyone around because I had to get some prints done.. He was hitting them all along the ground which made a change, but so hard.. I feel Colly's innings was just not quite enough to force a selection in the next test, he went mental when he got out, he knew it..

By Davies, do you mean the "ex glamorgan Davies"? I don't follow Durham cricket that closely and am wondering who you mean because I don't remember him bowling

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
ja I was at Taunton, taking photos (check the thread)... I left however at tea when Blackwell was smacking everyone around because I had to get some prints done.. He was hitting them all along the ground which made a change, but so hard.. I feel Colly's innings was just not quite enough to force a selection in the next test, he went mental when he got out, he knew it..

By Davies, do you mean the "ex glamorgan Davies"? I don't follow Durham cricket that closely and am wondering who you mean because I don't remember him bowling
It's Mark Davies, and according to Cricinfo he's never played for anyone other than Durham and Durham Cricket Board. I think there's still a Davies that plays for Glamorgan - AP Davies? Not sure.

But the Davies that plays for Durham has been bagging wickets galore all season, his FC average this year is about 14 IIRC.

Chubb

International Regular
Andrew Davies plays for Glamorgan, Mark Davies for Durham. Very common name (don't mean that in a class way) so I doubt they're related. I think they both bowl medium pace, but Mark is much better.

Scaly piscine

Barney Rubble said:
He's posted some pics from the last couple of days - Johnson bowling and Collingwood batting - so I know he's been there. I think it was Tuesday and Thursday he said he was going to be there, so that means he was indeed there today.

Durham lead by 233 going into day 4, with only one wicket down - Mike Hussey falling to the bowling of Graeme Smith, of all people.

Not sure Somerset's target will be as high as 350-400 - if Durham want to give themselves a minimum 80 overs to bowl them out, then they'll bat 20 at the beginning of tomorrow and look to get another 80-90 on the board, leaving Somerset chasing 320-odd in 80 overs. 4 an over, that's do-able, but it's certainly not going to be easy if Davies continues this freakishly good form. Or if Durham have a slog and do manage to get the target up to 350-odd.
If they only get 80-90 off 20 overs before they declare they need their heads examining. In my view the pretty small amount of overs left when Somerset were dismissed meant enforcing the follow-on was the obvious choice - unless the light was going to be offered to whoever batted in the late afternoon. It was virtually impossible for Durham to lose if they had enforced the follow-on.

Scaly piscine

Langeveldt said:

The Davies that bowled Smith for 28. And of course, 181 is not quite enough is it really... Maybe if he'd got, say 502 he just might have had a chance.

Scaly piscine

marc71178 said:
Well who would you pick him ahead of then SP?
If the pitch isn't a dustbowl I'd get rid of Giles, otherwise I wouldn't play him. I just think it's a bit daft to say "I feel Colly's innings was just not quite enough to force a selection", it's not like he got a fifty - he's done all he can really, it's now up to the selectors and the pitch because I don't think any batsman has a chance of replacing another batsman yet.