• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Season Thread (2005)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Hanuma said:
so which young talents have impressed most thus far this season?
Scott Newman's done OK stuff with Surrey - made a double ton (ok, it was a flat Oval against Glamorgan, who's lost nine games this season), and averages 62 with the bat. Also another South African-born lad, Stephen Moore of Worcestershire, wickie who's had his average boosted with one knock of 246 against Derbyshire. Bilal Shafayat's also done ok with the bat for Northants, he's one that's had an England career pencilled in for a long time. And Irishman Ed Joyce, of course, must average about 90 in all cricket this season...

On the bowling side, there's Mark Davies, who keeps getting cheap wickets but sounds like a Jon Lewis-type bowler, Amjad Khan, an erratic Dane of Pakistani descent whose mission in life is to play for England, and who has picked up forty wickets with fast-medium bowling (and got mentioned by a Danish news agency as "one of the leading bowlers in the world's strongest cricket league" :D ), James Kirtley, who's played Tests before but has allegations of chucking around him, and if you want to be generous also Tim Bresnan and Steve Kirby, where especially Bresnan looks a treat for the future (already taking 30 wickets at the age of 20).

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Durham gone from 61-1 off 19 at close last night to 138-1 off 29.1 today, glad to see they're accelerating nicely (Colly especially).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Phil Jaques past 1,000 runs in the season now, and his career FC average is almost 55, after dominating in the Pura Cup last season. Certainly a wonderful prospect.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
And Collingwood completes his 5th century of the season, off 73 balls. Durham have now added 140 off 18 overs today.
Well, looks like I was once again conclusively wrong with my estimate of 80-90 off 20 this morning....... :D

And Colly really couldn't do much more, could he?

Incidentally, Somerset have sent Richard Johnson in at 3 today! A pinch-hitter in a 4-day game, there can't have been many instances of that recently. Well, Ian Blackwell's captaincy so far has been nothing if not bold and aggressive. However, the fact that it wasn't himself he sent in at 3 is a little baffling. Surely he's more likely to smash a quick 70 than Johnson.

EDIT: Johnson out, for an 18-ball 25.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Breese having a good game for Durham, he has a pretty good record - would have thought he'd have played more games for WI really.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Yeah, you would - FC batting average higher than his FC bowling average, usually a good sign for an all-rounder. And it's not like WI have been rolling in top-quality spinners recently.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
ID Blackwell lbw b Lewis 8 (63) - there's an innings you don't see very often.

Caddick and Langeveldt holding on for dear life for a draw here.

Scaly piscine

Barney Rubble said:
ID Blackwell lbw b Lewis 8 (63) - there's an innings you don't see very often.

Caddick and Langeveldt holding on for dear life for a draw here.
And it's all over, Breese didn't quite make his 4th 10 wicket haul.

Hope that rubbishy Derbyshire team manages to stave off defeat...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
And it's all over, Breese didn't quite make his 4th 10 wicket haul.
Gah! What kind of a middle order performance was that? Numbers 4, 5, 6, and 7 made a combined total of 17 between them. And to get rolled for 178 at Taunton is a shocking effort whichever way you look at it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Anyone get the logic in Leicestershire's declaration?

18 runs short of a bonus point in a dead game with 15 overs to get them

Barney Rubble

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Anyone get the logic in Leicestershire's declaration?

18 runs short of a bonus point in a dead game with 15 overs to get them
Only thing I can think of is that HD Ackerman forgot about the bonus point, and was waiting to declare when Habib reached 150* - still stupid anyway, but then they don't have bonus points in SA where he's from, do they?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Wow, I suspect the feeble idiots will go and win the Twenty20 cup, seeing as its tailor made to their mentality, and it will all be champers and bull**** by tomorrow night... Absolute disgrace, and not fair.. Im glad I got rid of my ticket, would like to see some spine in the cricket that matters once in a while...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Wow, I suspect the feeble idiots will go and win the Twenty20 cup, seeing as its tailor made to their mentality, and it will all be champers and bull**** by tomorrow night... Absolute disgrace, and not fair.. Im glad I got rid of my ticket, would like to see some spine in the cricket that matters once in a while...
Whilst I actually quite like the Twenty20 Cup, one does have to wonder about it's usefulness when a team as shambolically rubbish as the Sabres can reach the semis.

Incidentally Rich, is GCS available for tomorrow, or is he off after today's game? It can't be long before he goes, otherwise there'd have been no sense in Blackie taking over the captaincy. And any more news on his replacement? I'm still struggling to find any.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Barney Rubble said:
Whilst I actually quite like the Twenty20 Cup, one does have to wonder about it's usefulness when a team as shambolically rubbish as the Sabres can reach the semis.

Incidentally Rich, is GCS available for tomorrow, or is he off after today's game? It can't be long before he goes, otherwise there'd have been no sense in Blackie taking over the captaincy. And any more news on his replacement? I'm still struggling to find any.
According to the Ex, its his last day tomorrow.. Not too sure about his replacement, but it will probably be a jarpie seeing as they aren't playing at the moment.. I shall be keenly following Smith this winter and hope that he returns next year, what a ledge...

Someone like McKenzie, Dippenaar? Gibbs? The UCBSA wouldn't let Kallis go i dont think..

Hanuma

School Boy/Girl Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Scott Newman's done OK stuff with Surrey - made a double ton (ok, it was a flat Oval against Glamorgan, who's lost nine games this season), and averages 62 with the bat. Also another South African-born lad, Stephen Moore of Worcestershire, wickie who's had his average boosted with one knock of 246 against Derbyshire. Bilal Shafayat's also done ok with the bat for Northants, he's one that's had an England career pencilled in for a long time. And Irishman Ed Joyce, of course, must average about 90 in all cricket this season...

On the bowling side, there's Mark Davies, who keeps getting cheap wickets but sounds like a Jon Lewis-type bowler, Amjad Khan, an erratic Dane of Pakistani descent whose mission in life is to play for England, and who has picked up forty wickets with fast-medium bowling (and got mentioned by a Danish news agency as "one of the leading bowlers in the world's strongest cricket league" :D ), James Kirtley, who's played Tests before but has allegations of chucking around him, and if you want to be generous also Tim Bresnan and Steve Kirby, where especially Bresnan looks a treat for the future (already taking 30 wickets at the age of 20).

thanks...great reply :)

any there that could push for england soonish?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Samuel_Vimes said:

Not bad for a fish :)

Scaly piscine

Barney Rubble said:

Yea, I mean if a team like Kenya made the semi finals of a World Cup, then ODIs must be really useless... oh wait.

They're cup competitions, every team has a shot of making the later stages (although 3 of this year's Twenty20 semi-finalists made the same stage last year), but the only thing that matters is who wins - and I can't see it being Somerset.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Scaly piscine said:
Yea, I mean if a team like Kenya made the semi finals of a World Cup, then ODIs must be really useless... oh wait.
Yes indeed, wait.. A world cup where teams all around them had to forfeit points because they wouldn't play in Harare? It's only useless if the International ****up council make it useless