• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Season 2006

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Anna said:
Hmm I'd play Durston ahead of Parsons & I think you've missed out an RJ Woodman there :p When Tres isn't there Francis junior should open with Woody.
It's OK - Johnson'll never be fit anyway. :p

And the reason I stuck Parsons in is because otherwise our change seamers are Hildreth and Tresco...... :ph34r: Durston's the better bat, although his bowling could do with some work.

I think the Somerset chiefs have hatched a cunning plan to get round the fact that Taunton is a road - make it a raging bunsen all year and play loads of spinners, because pace bowlers never get any wickets on it anyway. Could be a good idea.

Chubb

International Regular
As a new member of Somerset (I got my card today) I think they have made a collossal blunder by not signing a decent overseas pace bowler, because their pace attack is weak bordering on totally ineffectual. I think White is a good choice but I don't think Cullen was really necessary with Blackwell, Durston, Suppiah and Munday there already. I suppose it'll be quite interesting watching them this year anyway, with a quality leggie.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does indeed seem like they're going to change Taunton into a dustbowl, it'll be interesting to see how Blackwell (with the ball) does on turners.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Chubb said:
I think they have made a collossal blunder by not signing a decent overseas pace bowler, because their pace attack is weak bordering on totally ineffectual. I think White is a good choice but I don't think Cullen was really necessary with Blackwell, Durston, Suppiah and Munday there already. I suppose it'll be quite interesting watching them this year anyway, with a quality leggie.
That is so true. Maybe they've got a cunning plan to turn Cullen into a paceman.....who knows but it is a stupid signing. Hopefully, Wes'll show them what he's made of & keep Cullen out of the team.

Anna

Somerset still haven't launched the new website....was sposed to be done on mon. Grrrr. They haven't even announced the new signings on it yet!!

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Anna said:
Somerset still haven't launched the new website....was sposed to be done on mon. Grrrr. They haven't even announced the new signings on it yet!!
And yet the makeshift one they've had up for a while had random stuff on it like how the likes of Durston, Gazzard and Spurway were doing in club cricket over in India or somewhere. :wacko:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Does indeed seem like they're going to change Taunton into a dustbowl, it'll be interesting to see how Blackwell (with the ball) does on turners.
It will. If this experiment pays off, Somerset could be in for a more successful season that many people (including me!) would have thought.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well it would seem very strange if it wasn't there intention (to turn it into a dustbowl). Though the small ground is never going to be that great for spinners.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
superkingdave said:
Well it would seem very strange if it wasn't there intention (to turn it into a dustbowl). Though the small ground is never going to be that great for spinners.
Yeah, the small ground will be a problem. Still, we could hardly be any worse in 4-day cricket than we are now, and at least in one-day cricket we have batsmen who are capable of clearing the ropes themselves.

Jungle Jumbo

superkingdave said:
I don't know about that. On a real crumbling pitch the spinners may profit from the short boundaries, with the batsmen tempting to play their shots against exaggerated turn and bounce.

I really can't see why Somerset have signed Cullen - of all o/s players, why pick a finger spinner? He'll be defunct most of the time as well, surely away from home on green pitches only White and Blackwell will be required?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Why sign Cullen?

a) he's a finger spinner
b) he hasn't had a very good Aussie season thus far

Doesn't look a smart move to me.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
well the second division next year will be

Surrey (large ground, usually pretty good cricket wicket), Gloucestershire (usually slow and low, might change a bit with Bond coming in but Bandara took a few at the tail end of the season), Glamorgan (often play 2 spinners at home), Northants(bunsen), Essex(played Kaneria and Middlebrook at home last year), Worcestershire (played Price and Batty at home), Leicestershire(probably won't offer that much for spinners) and Derbyshire (can probably beat them with any side :p)

So there are at least 4 grounds where i suspect they'd play them both

Jungle Jumbo

superkingdave said:
well the second division next year will be

Surrey (large ground, usually pretty good cricket wicket), Gloucestershire (usually slow and low, might change a bit with Bond coming in but Bandara took a few at the tail end of the season), Glamorgan (often play 2 spinners at home), Northants(bunsen), Essex(played Kaneria and Middlebrook at home last year), Worcestershire (played Price and Batty at home), Leicestershire(probably won't offer that much for spinners) and Derbyshire (can probably beat them with any side :p)

So there are at least 4 grounds where i suspect they'd play them both
But on seeing the quality of the Somerset spin attack, could the other counties decide to produce either flattracks or seamers?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
But on seeing the quality of the Somerset spin attack, could the other counties decide to produce either flattracks or seamers?
don't you mean, on seeing the quality of somerset's spin attack the other counties will decide to produce complete bunsens? :p

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Seriously, Northants would back their spin attack against Somersets, Essex pitch might change this yaer without Kaneria, Glamorgan might go for the flattrack option, New Road will probably still turn

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
Why sign Cullen?

a) he's a finger spinner
b) he hasn't had a very good Aussie season thus far

Doesn't look a smart move to me.
only sensible reason i could guess is to add depth to the squad :wacko: , but it could be a blessing in disguise for Cullen getting some cricket over here.

Chubb

International Regular
Derbyshire have appoined Graham Welch as captain for the next year. A very good choice, he has the respect of the squad as a selfless team man and has proved himself to be a great pro, he was the most successful allrounder in the country in 2005.

Langeveldt

Soutie
brockley said:
Also counties or some are trying to phase kolpak and eu players out of their team..
WOW! Who and Why? Thats great news for England if we can actually have some English batsmen getting exposure in English cricket..