• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
The mistake you’re making here is that because the numbers supported the other selections, that the numbers must have been their rationale.

If we ignore Parkinson, who doesn’t really count, Livingstone is the only one you can really point to as not delivering. Well Jamie Overton didn’t set the world alight with the ball in his one chance, though scored a handy 97…

Saqib and Fisher weren’t McCullum era selections.

Jacks was definitely not an orthodox selection, and he wasn’t really ‘dropped’ they just wanted to give Rehan a whirl with the series won. Lo and behold that went well.

Harry Brook has been an unheralded success. Potts has done fairly well. Atkinson has started like a train. Hartley took 7 on debut. Bashir has done enough for his place to be safe for the time being. Jamie Smith a revelation. Tongue impressive in his two games to date, and would have likely played in India but for his injury troubles.

And then as I say. You add Duckett, and keeping faith in Crawley and Pope when the stats said not to.

They have picked players well. It’s seriously hard to dispute. The fact that you and others think conventional wisdom would have led to some being selected anyway doesn’t mean they used conventional wisdom to make those picks. That’s the big flaw in your line of thinking.

Forget all that ‘saving Test cricket’ bollocks but the output shows they do largely know what they’re doing.
It’s all well and good to pick players from the County Championship, but when it’s pushed to the margins of the English summer (and when Somerset get deducted points for producing spinning wickets!), it’s not necessarily going to be the best proving ground for some players, and likewise, it might mean some players succeed domestically but might not have the tools to do it internationally

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
his record in the last ashes was pretty good. and what nepotism?
His dad has tons of money and hangs out with a lot of former cricketers. Also used that money to send Crawley to a bunch of cricket development camps at a young age and introduced him to guys like key.

I don't know how much that factored into him getting his first gig, but his selection post mccullum definitely wasn't nepotism. It was stupid to start by most metrics, however.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
And was our best batsman in the two toughest series we play.
Ahem.

The 2 toughest series for England are away vs the Windies (haven't won in more than 20 years) and away vs NZ (haven't won in more than 16 years). His respective averages in those places are 30.6 and 11.8.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
i notice that carse, mahmood and stone all figure in this list too. whoever plays for england in the next test, the bowling unit is gonna be very inexperienced. hope woakes stays fit.
You do wonder how they'll play it if Woakes isn't available. Maybe bring in Cox to bat at 6, play Smith at 7 and pick a 4th seamer alongside Atkinson, Potts and Stone instead of Bashir, who didn't really threaten the SL batters. With Root providing the spin from time to time. Either that or they have to find a genuine test bowler who can bat at 7, which might be tricky.

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
You do wonder how they'll play it if Woakes isn't available. Maybe bring in Cox to bat at 6, play Smith at 7 and pick a 4th seamer alongside Atkinson, Potts and Stone instead of Bashir, who didn't really threaten the SL batters. With Root providing the spin from time to time. Either that or they have to find a genuine test bowler who can bat at 7, which might be tricky.
Probably the 4 seamers, with Root and Lawrence as their spin options.

They do have a guy who would solve the problem though. Dawson at 7, plus 4 seamers. I doubt he'd be interested though if England came calling after years of being treated so shabbily by them.

danzydab

U19 Debutant
Probably the 4 seamers, with Root and Lawrence as their spin options.

They do have a guy who would solve the problem though. Dawson at 7, plus 4 seamers. I doubt he'd be interested though if England came calling after years of being treated so shabbily by them.
its absolutely crazy how england have ignored liam dawson, he was a must for the india tour, who knows what he could've done if he played there instead of rehan ahmed.
wouldn't have leaked the amount of runs moeen did in last year's ashes as well

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
They were picking him as a squad player/back up/h2o boy and he told them "too old for that" and "no thanks".

He's been treated that way all his career by England and across all the formats. Deserved better.
In the games he has played for England he hasn't been amazing, Bang average in fact

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
In the games he has played for England he hasn't been amazing, Bang average in fact
He played 3 Tests. The one in India where India scored 700+ and he was easily the most economical English spinner, plus he got a 50. The 2 Tests in England he averages 34. Wouldn't disagree with bang average though, but bang average is still in a lot cases better than plenty who got tried ahead of him.

The one day appearances have been sporadic, but to not give a guy who has been around the squad for years and been a consistent performer domestically a run in one of the teams just stinks.

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
Does anyone who follows franchise cricket know why Josh Hull only played the first two games? Was he dropped or injured?
Was the Originals’ most expensive bowler in those two games, so he was dropped and that’s why he was available for the Lions. Bowled well against a strong, but admittedly undercooked Sri Lanka team, didn’t see him last week in the County Championship, but judging by the scorecard it seemed like a batting track. Wouldn’t want him bowling against a better prepared Sri Lanka team, but I don’t for a second think he will be

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
I read that Sam Curran is the only left-arm bowler to play a Test for England since Sidebottom, and I can’t remember who England’s last bowler of comparable height was, so I think it’s fair to say ‘point of difference’ hasn’t always been high on the agenda!

danzydab

U19 Debutant
England is picking bowlers purely based off their height now. First Bashir picked. Now 6'7 Hull.
He has 11 wickets in 9 county games averaging over 60.

Absolutely ridiculous. But still, I wont be surprised if he somehow gets a 5 fer on test debut (if he ever gets a game).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've always hated the idea that "Bazball philosophy" - which was mostly about removing inhibitions from talented but underachieving batsmen, which was a good idea - should also flow to "Bazball selections" where you pick players to fit the structure, and leave out good players who don't. I always thought that was ****ing stupid, and I still do.

But they're not gonna actually play Hull. He's not close to playing IMO. It's a beat up. Y'all should chill. They think he has potential so they want him in the squad learning from who else is there. It's fine.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Look, I kinda agree that dawson was treated shabbily, but anyone who thought he was going to be a World-beater with either bat or ball are a bit demented. We have Hartley and Ahmed who can bat a bit, they'd have more chance for a call, and have more potential.

Again though my choice would have been a direct like-for like on Stokes, someone like Higgins.

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
I've always hated the idea that "Bazball philosophy" - which was mostly about removing inhibitions from talented but underachieving batsmen, which was a good idea - should also flow to "Bazball selections" where you pick players to fit the structure, and leave out good players who don't. I always thought that was ****ing stupid, and I still do.

But they're not gonna actually play Hull. He's not close to playing IMO. It's a beat up. Y'all should chill. They think he has potential so they want him in the squad learning from who else is there. It's fine.
I wonder if Cook still wouldn’t get into this team

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
Look, I kinda agree that dawson was treated shabbily, but anyone who thought he was going to be a World-beater with either bat or ball are a bit demented. We have Hartley and Ahmed who can bat a bit, they'd have more chance for a call, and have more potential.

Again though my choice would have been a direct like-for like on Stokes, someone like Higgins.
Don't think anyone thought he'd be a world beater, he didn't need to be. For years England needed an economical spinner who could give the pace bowlers a rest and bat a bit. Someone in the Giles mould.

Dawson was more than capable of being economical with the ball, averaging 40 and bat at 8 averaging mid to high 20s.