• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't believe I'm saying this, but...I'd have Vaughan in over Shah and Bell for the Ashes.

He can't do any worse, and he seems to boost the team morale. Just need Simon Jones to be in prime form, and I think there's an outside chance of kicking Aussie butt.
I really hope Vaughan puts in some early season form. I wouldn't like to see him picked if out of form, but in form that would be perfect.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Was that game played with a red ball or a white ball? Remember Vaughan playing an absolute gem of an innings to knock Lancs out in a QF in about 2004(nearly hit me on the SL boundary with on pull) but it was with a red ball. He's been pretty much unneringly sh*te when the white ball comes out

tooextracool

International Coach
Was that game played with a red ball or a white ball? Remember Vaughan playing an absolute gem of an innings to knock Lancs out in a QF in about 2004(nearly hit me on the SL boundary with on pull) but it was with a red ball. He's been pretty much unneringly sh*te when the white ball comes out
It has to be a white ball if it was played in colored kits, as the pic on the cricinfo link shows.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Great news for the Windies - Strauss will definitely play in the first OD :)

What's this I hear about England trying to hijack Dyson, first they take our rock and roll, then they took our cricketers and now they're trying to take our coach...

BBC SPORT | Cricket | England | Windies deny Dyson England link

From an England POV it's not a bad idea has to be respected for what he's done with the Windies and clearly knows his stuff, would be good except for the fact the guy's Australian...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I honestly could not believe my eyes the other day when Gareth Batty was recalled to the England set-up. I wouldn't exactly describe it as scraping the barrel - more like scraping up the bits after the barrel has gone over Niagara Falls.

If anyone needed any evidence of just how far it is possible for a team to fall in two years, there you have it.

FBU

International Debutant
I honestly could not believe my eyes the other day when Gareth Batty was recalled to the England set-up. I wouldn't exactly describe it as scraping the barrel - more like scraping up the bits after the barrel has gone over Niagara Falls.

If anyone needed any evidence of just how far it is possible for a team to fall in two years, there you have it.
Just looking at last seasons Pro 40

Batty (31) - 7 matches 7 wickets at 27.28 econ 4.89 s/r 33.4
Dawson (19) - 6 matches 11 wickets at 13.72 econ 5.39 s/r 15.2

Batty's ODI figures

7 matches 4 wickets at 73.50 econ 4.87 s/r 90.5 :@

Woodster

International Captain

You have to question his selection for the England Lions, once he was in that squad there was every chance he could get called up to the national side if injuries struck, as he is probably one of the few that has played competitive cricket recently.

Woodster

International Captain
Pretty sure I'm going to be speaking too soon here, but really fancy England's chances in this opening ODI. Not very impressed with the depth of batting in this WI line-up, and as ever, the onus will very much be on Gayle, Sarwan and Chanderpaul.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why is Prior back? He's an awful ODI batsman and an awful keeper.

Then sure enough they bring Harmison back to play on a road, then all the whiners will come out when he doesn't take 5-15.

Oh and England to make Miller look a world beater.

Woodster

International Captain
Why is Prior back? He's an awful ODI batsman and an awful keeper.

Then sure enough they bring Harmison back to play on a road, then all the whiners will come out when he doesn't take 5-15.

Oh and England to make Miller look a world beater.
Harmison can't pick and choose what tracks he plays on. He's picked today on a track that seems to be a batters paradise, but that doesn't mean if he gets the ball in the right areas, he can't be effective. He should be thankful he has a chance to impress, regardless of conditions. Just because it may not offer him a great deal he can't just roll up and bowl 80 mph pies. For the record I don't think he will, he will be very keen to impress, he's our wicket-taking option and may well concede a few runs, which is all well and good providing he picks up a few important wickets.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Presumably it's a copout so they can find a role for Strauss.

Do either of these two actually open in limited overs cricket for their counties? I seem to recall Bopara is a number 3?

Rant0r

International 12th Man
harmison in for a one dayer... hmmm

i would have blooded davies a bit more... prior has just about done his dash

Rant0r

International 12th Man
bopara should definitely be in the team, but opener ??

i would have rather have seen kp up there