• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Had never noticed Amjad Khan being much of a batsman TBH. If he bats ahead of Anderson there'd best be good reason.

Anyway, that tail is better than:
Prior
Sidebottom
Hoggard
Anderson \ Harmison
Panesar
and also:
Irani
Caddick
Mullally
Tufnell
Giddins
You don't count Prior as part of the tail, though, surely?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Huh, I thought Amjad Khan was a youngster coming through, but actually he's a 28-year-old who has only played 63 FC matches and has a bowling average over 30. Doesn't sound too exciting.

King Pietersen

International Captain
21 wickets at 20.61 last year, averaged 30 the year before, and 28 the year before that. It's his first 4 seasons that mar his overall FC record. He did well last season and that probably warrants his selection. Certainly a better option than the others that the Sky Team are hyping, Mahmood and Plunkett. I'd have preferred to see Davies though, seeing his record.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Rumours of Monty to play :unsure:

So that would be

Strauss
Cook
Shah
Pietersen
Collingwood
Prior
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Khan
Panesar

Maybe Bopara in for Shah with a shuffled order, dunno

Could just be idle speculation, hope Monty sits this one out tbh

King Pietersen

International Captain
Cricinfo believe the line-up will be:

1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Alastair Cook, 3 Owais Shah, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Paul Collingwood, 6 Ravi Bopara, 7 Matt Prior (wk), 8 Stuart Broad, 9 James Anderson, 10 Graeme Swann, 11 Amjad Khan.

I'll be disappointed if Monty comes in. If we want to bring in another spinner for a batsman it has to be Rashid. Won't happen though, Broad doesn't want to bat at 7, and Rashid's nowhere near good enough. So i see them going with the team above.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh lord. Panesar's back. The least attacking option they could have gone with, plus the worst with the bat and in the field with a frail lower order.

Unless it's the first time for ages this pitch will be good for spin there's no sense to that selection.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
team confirmed on cricinfo

1 Andrew Strauss, 2 Alastair Cook, 3 Owais Shah, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Paul Collingwood, 6 Matt Prior (wk), 7 Stuart Broad, 8 Graeme Swann, 9 James Anderson, 10 Amjad Khan, 11 Monty Panesar

Interesting to see how Prior & Broad deal with their elevations up the order

King Pietersen

International Captain
Panesar in for Bopara? WTF? That means Broad at 7 and Swann at 8, stupidly long tail. Not enough batting I don't think. Rashid should have been in ahead of Panesar. Panesar's going to disappoint.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't get me wrong I agree with the 5 bowlers in this situation but Panesar was the last one I would go with unless it turns out to be a 250 all out bunsen.

Haven't heard a thing about Khan that makes him stand out either.

Steulen

International Regular
In all probability this is another flat pitch and England will be perfectly safe by the time the tail starts at 5 down

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What worries me here is that if Monty has a rather good game and outbowls Swann, who is injured, he may reclaim his #1 spinner berth, I don't think he deserves it

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Panesar in for Bopara? WTF? That means Broad at 7 and Swann at 8, stupidly long tail. Not enough batting I don't think. Rashid should have been in ahead of Panesar. Panesar's going to disappoint.
Broad is capable of batting seven and I believe it is the only position he can bat while justifying his place in the team.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Oi, Bopara make some runs. *Bopara tons up* Ummmm, shmeh, get out.

Most hilarious English side I've ever seen tbh.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd almost actually go as far to say that the West Indies team is better on paper than the England team for this match. Almost.

EDIT: Nah not even close with Taylor out.