• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Steulen

International Regular
Anderson gone.

On the pitch state: Apparently some mastodont heavy roller was used to kill the pitch on Saturday. Be interested to hear whether the two captains knew that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If they didn't, there's some serious communication problems, because people were talking about how that was going to happen before the confirmation even arrived that we were going to be playing here.

Nah, even despite this, the pitch still looked like it'd do plenty and, I repeat, everyone consulted on the issue thought it would and that fielding first would be the only thing that made sense.

Batting first was anticipated to be 150ao material.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, wow, I didn't realise it was 1am (Sydney time) already. I thought it was about 11. Awesome though, even if I have missed the first few overs. :p

Steulen

International Regular
Collingwood applying for a single-figure innings it seems...like he always does of course, might well make a century

Steulen

International Regular
If they didn't, there's some serious communication problems, because people were talking about how that was going to happen before the confirmation even arrived that we were going to be playing here.

Nah, even despite this, the pitch still looked like it'd do plenty and, I repeat, everyone consulted on the issue thought it would and that fielding first would be the only thing that made sense.

Batting first was anticipated to be 150ao material.
Yeah, even the groundsman said no-one would have to think twice about it. Easy to criticize Gayle's decision now of course.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
What's people's take on the occasional deliveries that are keeping low? Looks good from the perspective of 322 for 3 plus the NW, but are they only doing that to very wide balls?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Pretty sure it's mainly the ones hitting the line. Pitch was always going to have a smidge of inconsistent bounce.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah it's not exactly the pitch as such that's keeping low, just those which hit that little groove where the halfway-line is. Could possibly be a useful little thingy as the pitch goes on, but equally could quite easily be a red-herring.

Fidel on fire and Collingwood starting quickly if not convincingly.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty sure it's mainly the ones hitting the line. Pitch was always going to have a smidge of inconsistent bounce.
Yeah, those that are hitting the half-way line of the football pitch are almost exclusively grubbers. If that proves a natural length for one of our four seamers, there could be trouble.

pskov

International 12th Man
I'll tell you what, when I think of ranking the batsmen I most like to watch play since I've started watching cricket, Lara is number 1 without question, but I think KP might be number 2.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Deadset, no-one likes seeing wickets off full-tosses. Should make the law below the knee imo.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Does that go down as a chance?
No, he had no realistic possibility of taking that.

And :laugh: at Michael Atherton doing a Bob Willis and calling Powell's bowling "rubbish". Not because it's a remotely inaccurate description, but because I've never heard anyone other than The Esteemed Bob use said term to describe bowling during a commentary stint.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's just enough erratic bounce starting to creep into this to suggest that come Thursday it could be rather an awkward proposition to bat on. Will make any decision-making over the follow on increasingly complex.

pskov

International 12th Man
Hmm, Powell getting it to keep low when banging it in halfway down. Harmison and Flintoff could be deadly if that keeps consistent throughout the rest of the match.