• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What is the point in Anderson as Night-watchman? Don't really like them at all really but seems even more needless in this situation.
Never much like nightwatchmen these days, but if there's ever a time it's now, no?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never much like nightwatchmen these days, but if there's ever a time it's now, no?
Well obviously as it is right at the end of the day then yes, but given that time is likely to be factor in this match it will waste time tomorow morning.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well obviously as it is right at the end of the day then yes, but given that time is likely to be factor in this match it will waste time tomorow morning.
I think if the ball had been older then yea fair enough, but if he gets through tonight and lasts 20-30 minutes tomorrow against the new ball he's helped the players coming in.

shivfan

Banned
Read that myself, but put the whole "never again" comment more down to a gut reaction than any rational decision. Comercially it seems very wasteful to build a ground, then demolish it.
The Antiguan government built the stadium at North Sound. That's their problem. They will have to find an alternative sport for the facility. Football seems like the best bet....

The WICB decides where cricket is played. If they say they'll never go back to North Sound, there's nothing Antigua can do about it.

The ARG is the only stadium where Test cricket will be played now....

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Antiguan government built the stadium at North Sound. That's their problem. They will have to find an alternative sport for the facility. Football seems like the best bet....

The WICB decides where cricket is played. If they say they'll never go back to North Sound, there's nothing Antigua can do about it.

The ARG is the only stadium where Test cricket will be played now....
Whole thing is really, really sad TBH. We've got the WI trying to re-build their team after a dire run of outs, they're 1-0 up in the series and we have to talk about this issue.

The long-lasting benefit of the last WC was supposed to be a few new grounds and upgrades to existing ones to help with infrastructure in the WI. They build this beautiful new stadium and then this happens. It's a real shame.

There were reports over the weekend that the ground officials had told the powers that be that the outfield wouldn't be up for a test match at the scheduled time. Is that so? If it is, I really don't see how the WICB can complain. Presumably they could have hosted it elsewhere.

Is the problem at SVRS going to be an ongoing one re. the outfield, or is it a one-off? If the former, it begs the question why they built it there, if the latter it suggests a big over-reaction in saying they'll never go back.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It'll be an ongoing problem, due to the genius idea of building a huge South Stand, thus blocking out a lot of sunlight, plus drainage issues that are down to the location of the ground - something to do with water levels or something like that.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
The long-lasting benefit of the last WC was supposed to be a few new grounds and upgrades to existing ones to help with infrastructure in the WI. They build this beautiful new stadium and then this happens. It's a real shame.
But they didn't. They built a souless stadium with a concrete-and-plastic stand at either end. In the middle of nowhere. The ARG just oozes history and culture, has to be saved.

Burgey

But they didn't. They built a souless stadium with a concrete-and-plastic stand at either end. In the middle of nowhere. The ARG just oozes history and culture, has to be saved.
It's funny you say that - there was talk about what's happened last night on ABC radion and a couple of the fellas commentating (I think it was Lawson and O'Keeffe but not 100%) said the ARG was the worst Test venue in the world, bar none.

Personally, I wouldn't really know as I've not watched enough cricket from either ground to comment, nor have I been to either :).

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
It's funny you say that - there was talk about what's happened last night on ABC radion and a couple of the fellas commentating (I think it was Lawson and O'Keeffe but not 100%) said the ARG was the worst Test venue in the world, bar none.

Personally, I wouldn't really know as I've not watched enough cricket from either ground to comment, nor have I been to either :).
Oh neither have I, and so my opinion is worth nothing more than yours, but the ARG has always seemed a fantastic place, atmosphere-wise. It's been the pitch that has really let it down in recent years.

Burgey

Yeah, I saw a bit of the game this morning and it appears nothing's changed - flat as a tack.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh neither have I, and so my opinion is worth nothing more than yours, but the ARG has always seemed a fantastic place, atmosphere-wise. It's been the pitch that has really let it down in recent years.
The ARG producing strips of motorway is nothing remotely new - look back through the games staged there down the years, there's a great deal of examples of pitches that just offer nothing to any bowlers.

Even the 2003 game where West Indies chased down 400+ was an example in a different way - came accross as a classic attempt to supress nature and failing, whereby a whole load of grass was left on and the ball did all sorts the first couple of days but eventually had to produce yet another batting record.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There were reports over the weekend that the ground officials had told the powers that be that the outfield wouldn't be up for a test match at the scheduled time. Is that so? If it is, I really don't see how the WICB can complain. Presumably they could have hosted it elsewhere.
That's definately true, but the thing that isn't known is precisely which officials were notified. It's likely that those weren't they from the WICB but those at the Antiguan board - ie, people who had a vested interest in trying to stop the Test being moved to another island. The groundstaff, after all, are employees of the Antiguan board, not the WICB. So they'd be responsible for notifying the Antiguan board of any issues. There's absolutely no question about the fact that the groundstaff knew, and made mention of, the fact that the ground was not going to be ready for February after digging-up the outfield in November.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is the problem at SVRS going to be an ongoing one re. the outfield, or is it a one-off? If the former, it begs the question why they built it there, if the latter it suggests a big over-reaction in saying they'll never go back.
As far as I can see, it's a case of solve one problem and another occurs. When first built, the outfield drained improperly. What do you do when that happens? You dig it up and have some sand undersoil. What seems to have happened is this has been done without allowing adaquete time for it to bed down. If the VRS had missed a year and next staged a Test in March\April 2010, everything'd have been perfectly fine, UIMM.