• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in West Indies 2015

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Remember Compton did score a good hundred in New Zealand. Never understood why he was dropped for Carberry in the first place. However, once having been dropped, I can understand he may have gone downhill. It would seem Dan is correct, and the selection policy has been plain incompetent.
The thing is, he didn't go downhill. He played his last Test in May 2013, having missed the first four games of the season, and still made 1000 runs @ 50 for the 2013 County season. 2014 was 961 @ 43, so nowhere near as good as his previous three seasons, but hardly "oh no look he's **** now". Three century partnerships with Cook. Two tons of his own vs. NZ in NZ (so a pretty decent attack). Counts for nothing and he's dropped after two bad games. It's inept.

Has already made three half-centuries in between some failures this summer, ftr, after moving from Somerset back to Middlesex. Played a pretty big role in Middlesex hanging on for a draw. It's all pretty irrelevant though, can't see him coming back now. Basically in the Ed Cowan position of "he's good enough to be picked and do a solid job if a position opens up, but he won't be", so he's still holding out some hope but accepting that it might be time to plan for life after cricket.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
The thing is, he didn't go downhill. He played his last Test in May 2013, having missed the first four games of the season, and still made 1000 runs @ 50 for the 2013 County season. 2014 was 961 @ 43, so nowhere near as good as his previous three seasons, but hardly "oh no look he's **** now". Three century partnerships with Cook. Two tons of his own vs. NZ in NZ (so a pretty decent attack). Counts for nothing and he's dropped after two bad games. It's inept.

Has already made three half-centuries in between some failures this summer, ftr, after moving from Somerset back to Middlesex. Played a pretty big role in Middlesex hanging on for a draw. It's all pretty irrelevant though, can't see him coming back now. Basically in the Ed Cowan position of "he's good enough to be picked and do a solid job if a position opens up, but he won't be", so he's still holding out some hope but accepting that it might be time to plan for life after cricket.
It was a **** decision then, made to look worse by what has gone on since.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
I remember they picked Tahir originally before realising he wasn't available. Then prepared a green track and blew us away with pace.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon he'll want 450 and declare at tea. Unless there's rain forecast, when he might call them in sooner.
That being said, we're more than capable of folding for a fair bit less anyway.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Cook declares at Lunch it would be cretinous madness, IMHO.

I'm sure Botham is/was advocating it though, I'm not listening to him so I don't know.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Will give Windies around 450 to chase. Will just feel more comfortable having that extra cushion. Declaration will come either side of tea within 5 overs of it.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Here's Cliff: "When will Eng. declare? I cannot see the WI scoring better than 3.6/over, if we take all day tomorrow and 30 overs today after tea, then Eng. need to have a lead of at least 432, getable.... "
****ing hell i hate declaration talk

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
In 2015, Marlon Samuels has taken 3 wickets at an average of 56. His career average in bowling is also 56. Samuels is consistently crap. /pedant analysis.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh great a declaration debate. Jesus christ commentators can be dumb. It's like whenever you get into a position of strength and it seems as though you're slightly on top, you SHOULD DECLARE IMMEDIATELY AND BE AGGRESSIVE AND BOWL THEM OUT OTHERWISE YOU'RE DEFENSIVE COWARDS.