• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could be an interesting selection for the next game, if Harmy is fit do they play him for Kabir Ali or do they rest him for another 2/3 days?

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Sorry but that is the most bizzare end to a match that i have seen ever in a cricket game ever. :-O :-O :-O

once again YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS :D :D :D

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
twctopcat said:
No, which is beyond me. When did that rule come into play?
i think i just got it into my head after losing quite a few matches on Brian Lara Cricket by losing more wickets after drawing a game

Scaly piscine

It's used in some of the English domestic competitions (Twenty20 for one I *think*) and is usually one of the ways long down the list of splitting teams when there's a tie in the knockout stages of a World Cup.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
another thing i found interesting was the way petersen was rallying the troops when things went just abit quiet and he leading most of the team talks in the closing overs

Future captain anyone

His English genes must be some very strong ones

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

SpeedKing said:
another thing i found interesting was the way petersen was rallying the troops when things went just abit quiet and he leading most of the team talks in the closing overs

Future captain anyone

His English genes must be some very strong ones
I guess he must have a winning mentality, [SAFFIE BAIT]probably why he moved to England a few years ago...[/SAFFIE BAIT]

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
End of over 50 (7 runs) South Africa 270/8 (RR: 5.40 RRR: 1/0 = 0.00)
Kabir Ali 8-0-56-3 (5nb) - Willows End
SM Pollock 17* (12b 2x4)

49.6 Ali to Hall, OUT:

South Africa 270/8, Partnership of 1
AJ Hall st Jones b Ali 0 (1b 0x4 0x6)

49.5 Ali to Pollock, one run, played to point they had to go for the run
and they succeed
49.4 Ali to Prince, no run

South Africa 269/7, Partnership of 1
AG Prince run out (Bell) 0 (1b 0x4 0x6)

49.3 Ali to Pollock, one run, played into the covers for a quick single
49.2 Ali to Pollock, no run, plays it straight to th fielder
49.1 Ali to Boucher, OUT: caught at the sq leg boundary by giles

South Africa 268/6, Partnership of 29
MV Boucher c Giles b Ali 15 (11b 2x4 0x6)
SM Pollock 15* (9b 2x4) Kabir Ali 7.1-0-54-2 (5nb)

49.1 Ali to Boucher, (noball) FOUR, waist height full tooss and smashed
by boucher

Once again WOW :-O

biased indian

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
It's used in some of the English domestic competitions (Twenty20 for one I *think*) and is usually one of the ways long down the list of splitting teams when there's a tie in the knockout stages of a World Cup.
there was coupleof games decide that way in ODI ithink both the games involve pakistan where the winner was decided based on the wicket lost after the scores where tied

Swervy

International Captain
Scaly piscine said:
yeah its quite an old fashioned way of doing it..and I never liked it when games were decided on wickets in hand..waste of time considering the sole objective is to score more runs in the 50 overs.

A great game anyway...when Ali bowled that first ball I swore out loud in desparation for the guy, but England (not just Ali) really dug deep..and dare I say SA choked once again

Scaly piscine

Swervy said:
yeah its quite an old fashioned way of doing it..and I never liked it when games were decided on wickets in hand..waste of time considering the sole objective is to score more runs in the 50 overs.

A great game anyway...when Ali bowled that first ball I swore out loud in desparation for the guy, but England (not just Ali) really dug deep..and dare I say SA choked once again
Yea this game reminded me of one a few years ago I was also listening to on the radio, SA needed 6-7 runs or something off the last over, Pollock was on strike and Ealham was bowling. Pollock got them with 2 sweeped 4s through fine leg.

Found it:

http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...T/SCORECARDS/ENG_RSA_SBTT_ODI7_04FEB2000.html

Was 8 runs off the last over.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Swervy said:

I reckon you'd be right too! :D

Big call from Tres to give Taxi the last over, my money was on Ash. After that first ball (beamer or high full toss? Can't decide myself) I was not so quietly cursing the decision, but he held it together well. I actually reckon he relaxed after that first ball, probably thinking (as I did) the game was lost & bowled 4 balls that were pretty good.

That said, the ump missed a big no-ball! Think it was the one Prince was run out on.

Duncan

U19 Debutant
I feel sorry for South Africa. They definetely should have won this match. I was just watching the highlights and it seemed so easy for them after that noball four.

Who is this Kabir Ali guy? Is he new?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Yeah he plays for Worcestershire. Had a very good season a few years back but he was injured for alot of last season with a double hernia and lost alot of form.
Not a world beater but he's still young and could turn into a good bowler in the future.

On a side note, Hoggard made Smith his bunny again ;) Smith must be having nightmares about him when he sleeps.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
nope, mcmillan retired after the tour of england in 98, klusener made his debut in 96 in india, so they played as many as 6 series, including 2 against australia with each other in the side.
Except not once did all 5 play together.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Wow this is tough going. This winter has turned into a bit of an ordeal.

Still its not all bad, Bloemfontein has turned into a crumpet capital of South Africa judging by the female activity on the banks

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
Wow this is tough going. This winter has turned into a bit of an ordeal.

Still its not all bad, Bloemfontein has turned into a crumpet capital of South Africa judging by the female activity on the banks
I have to say its pretty good all over SA everytime ive seen matches from there. Lucky sods! :blink:

Langeveldt

Soutie
SpaceMonkey said:
I have to say its pretty good all over SA everytime ive seen matches from there. Lucky sods! :blink:
To be fair we need some relief from this constant thrashing and ridiculing.. You can't have everything.. And im still stuck in the UK, so its worst of both worlds :(

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good thing Kabir managed to pull it out of the fire in the dying minutes, given that it's pretty much entirely his fault that it managed to get to that stage in the first place. The pitch was screaming for full and straight bowling (as Collingwood and even Trescothick did to good effect even at their medium pace).

What did Kabir bowl? Too short, too wide and too often over-stepped - four no-balls for overstepping and they're unforgivable especially so when you're bowling tripe. Seven runs a flipping over. Grr. He really needs to sort himself out brain-wise if he's going to have an International future.

I look forward to seeing the dying overs on the highlights in a couple of hours - having watched the first 91, I missed the last nine for student radio. Grr again.