• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

savill

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wharf's batting is only existent when he is slggin for Glamorgan in One Dayers. I stil think Napier could do a job, he was leading wicket taker in the Norwich Union a couple of years ago.

tooextracool

International Coach
SpeedKing said:
what wud the england team be without freddie and harmie
1.tres
2.solanki
3.vaughn(sp.)
4.strauss
5.petersen
6.collingwood
7.G. jones
8.giles
9.wharf
10.jones
11.Gough
why would you still pick geraint jones?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
tooextracool said:
yes but the problem is that if umpires gave people out only when they were certain, we would have 1 lbw every 2 tests.
Umpires do give people out only when they are certain. And he have more than 1 dismissal by lbw in two tests.

tooextracool

International Coach
Gangster said:
To be fair to England, if you take two people out of any team in the world, they're all garbage.

India: Take Sehwag and Dravid out, they're nothing.

Australia: Take Gilchrist and Ponting out, they're now decidedly average.

etc..
doubt it, taken any 2 people out of the australian side and they are still better than all other sides in the world.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pratyush said:
Umpires do give people out only when they are certain. And he have more than 1 dismissal by lbw in two tests.
if they did that then why do we have so many poor decisions then?
rubbish, umpires give players out when they 'think' they are out.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
tooextracool said:
if they did that then why do we have so many poor decisions then?
rubbish, umpires give players out when they 'think' they are out.
They make wrong decisions as humans are not perfect and can make errors. I am afraid you are wrong here.

tooextracool

International Coach
Gangster said:
Well we've seen them without Warne for a year, and McGrath for a year and it barely slowed them down..
in tests are you kidding me? they lost the only test that they played against england( who were rubbish at the time without half their side) without warne and mcgrath and nearly lost to india at home. yes they beat zimbabwe and b'desh without them, well done to them for that.

Gangster said:
Even Ponting in India was out and it barely slowed them, but that was because of Gilchrist's batting and leadership. Gilchrist is the fulcrum on which that test team balances.
nope its arguable that they were benefitted by not having ponting in the side.

tooextracool

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Not a million miles from the team I'd pick.

I'd still go for Read over Geraint in ODIs tho & you have to wonder why our leading wicket taker & form bowler from the test series is going home after the 5th. True Hoggy would probably lengthen our tail, but Wharf's batting is rather like the Loch Ness Monster; it's supposed to exist, but I've yet to see any evidence to make me think it's anything other than a figment of Celtic imaginations!! :D
because hoggard is plain and simple not an ODI class bowler. he pitches the ball up way too much to be successful, because they are played predominantly on flat wickets.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
tooextracool said:
err what? if someone is certain and ends up giving the wrong decision, it proves that he wasnt certain in the first place.
How? It may be a wrong judgement. I may be absoultely certain that a certain person has lied. But after the person explains some perspectives I may not have thought of, I may be proved wrong in judging. It does not prove he was uncertain or certain.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pratyush said:
How? It may be a wrong judgement. I may be absoultely certain that a certain person has lied. But after the person explains some perspectives I may not have thought of, I may be proved wrong in judging. It does not prove he was uncertain or certain.
no if you are certain and it turns out to be wrong, then it shows that you only thought it was right.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
tooextracool said:
no if you are certain and it turns out to be wrong, then it shows that you only thought it was right.
No it means the thought process was wrong. But some one may be certain about a wrong thing too. Human being were certain the Earth was flat for years. They didnt only think they were right, they were certain. But it did prove to be wrong.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pratyush said:
No it means the thought process was wrong. But some one may be certain about a wrong thing too. Human being were certain the Earth was flat for years. They didnt only think they were right, they were certain. But it did prove to be wrong.
how could they be certain? they had no proof that the earth was flat. fact is that they only 'thought' the earth was flat and convinced everyone else to do the same. then of course the person who proved them wrong was certain because he had proof.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
doubt it, taken any 2 people out of the australian side and they are still better than all other sides in the world.

tooextracool 5 minutes later said:
Gangster said:
Well we've seen them without Warne for a year, and McGrath for a year and it barely slowed them down..
in tests are you kidding me? they lost the only test that they played against england( who were rubbish at the time without half their side) without warne and mcgrath and nearly lost to india at home. yes they beat zimbabwe and b'desh without them, well done to them for that.

No contradiction there then.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
tooextracool said:
how could they be certain? they had no proof that the earth was flat. fact is that they only 'thought' the earth was flat and convinced everyone else to do the same. then of course the person who proved them wrong was certain because he had proof.
In their minds they were certain. Proofs can be wrong too.

In India there was this incident where milk was apparently being drunk by idols of Gods when they put a bowl of milk at the tip of the trunk of the elephant god Ganesha. They were certain its proof of existence of God. It was a wrong certainty!

Science proved it was a phenomena explained by some physics law. So certainities of some people may not always be true.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No you weren't but you can go back to ignore list, you've been shown up so many times already it's worthless reading your endless drivel.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pratyush said:
In their minds they were certain. Proofs can be wrong too.
no they couldnt be certain, they could only think they were right. its like if i say rikki clarke is useless, i could be wrong, but i think im right. i cannot be certain of it even if im 99% sure.

Pratyush said:
In India there was this incident where milk was apparently being drunk by idols of Gods when they put a bowl of milk at the tip of the trunk of the elephant god Ganesha. They were certain its proof of existence of God. It was a wrong certainty!

yes i remember that incident, and really how anyone can even think that is quite impossible . problem is that no one ever said they were certain. people only thought that was the case. in the same way that no one can say for certain that 'god' exists or ever existed. you can only think he did.