• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

Flem274*

123/5
After 3/4 innings Southee is NZ's second top run scorer, behind Blundell and ahead of Conway.
Hahaha

He's been a bit unlucky this season with the ball too. Average of 50 does not reflect how well he's bowl in Pakistan and in this series. A victim of being the good one probably. Guys sit on him.

Howe_zat

Audio File
He's been a bit unlucky this season with the ball too. Average of 50 does not reflect how well he's bowl in Pakistan and in this series. A victim of being the good one probably. Guys sit on him.
Yeah agree. Playing in an attack with part timers doesn't suit him at all. Wagner no longer able to do a ton of reliable grunt bowling matters too.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Phillips hitting them well in the plunkett shield. 2 lofted straight drives for 6 so far.
Yeah been watching that as well, he's in the mood. One year ago that would have been scoffed at but more it's the state of the art batting.

Flem274*

123/5
We could do worse than just nominating Latham to smash it. Blocking in SENA against test standard quicks has stunted his output imo. It's that or the middle order for him. His newfound aggression in ODIs has been successful.

It's not like he's less talented than guys he's played with during his career (or Duckett/Crawley), but he was a keeper who batted 5 for Canterbury before deciding to chase the hole in the NZ team and in that context his sometimes makeshift feel makes sense.

Howe_zat

Audio File
They seem to be making a proper fist of it tonight.

Still pretty confident but if I wake up and it's 250/2 I'm likely to need someone to check up on me

BazBall21

Latham doesn’t really go fishing or searching much outside off stump tbf. He’s pretty disciplined, just not very skilled. Massive candidate for a leg side wicket because he doesn’t seem able to leave extra bounce that’s going into his body. Seen him get out to balls on his hip a few times.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Latham doesn’t really go fishing or searching much outside off stump tbf. He’s pretty disciplined, just not very skilled.
Makes a habit of looking almost impenetrable just prior to his customary brain-explosion, usually when set and between the score of 30 and 75.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Following on Cricinfo, seems like Conway is really struggling whilst Latham looks relatively at ease?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
At risk of jinxing, "all we need to do" is play traditional test cricket. A hamfisted attempt at Bazball on the fly won't win the game for us. I'm not sure how the weather will play out but England are going to 100% charge for a win because that's their mindset. Our guys have batted time in the past and they should set targets.

* Knock off the deficit by end of day, preferably a 50 run lead.
* Bat all day tomorrow to get to 250-300 lead at least
* Bat most of the first session on day 5
* England will think 350-400 in 2.5 sessions will be a doddle, but will require accelerated batting. Most wickets to come from caught in the outfield.

Game on imo [/nzfanoptimism]

yes I realise this requires us to score like 600

The Hutt Rec

Scotty Stevenson excitedly commentating a replay from the day before is a low moment even for him ... time to put him out of his misery as a cricket commentator.

G. S. Kohli

Nz really need the sun to burst through and dry out the wicket. Unfortunately no sign of it as of yet. My prediction 215/6 at close of play.
Less,

Not sure when "Rain God" disturb the Proccedings. Internate weather on monday "All 90 ovs Possible"

RR less than 2.0 now

Flem274*

123/5
Bit of a random muse, but I think our treatment of Sodhi was harsh. He's just had his best ever test series and is a pretty respectable T20 bowler most of the time. I think we missed a trick not playing him against guys who will come after him. They went after Abrar who we largely neutered and Abrar did get poles and had a solid series for a debutant.

England could have smashed him because they have a lot of quality players (I liked Pope before it was cool) and Joe Root is an ATG and even better than Babar, but it makes more sense as a selection than most we've made this series.

Flem274*

123/5
When is Bairstow due back btw? He's gotta play somehow but can't drop Foakes either. Pope or Stokes (I've seen that suggested) to open?