• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Brett Dale

School Boy/Girl Captain
The conditions are really going to help England Today, it seems we will struggle, our only hope is if Anderson is out injured and the weather intervenes.

We need a big one from Fleming, if we are going to get out of this.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gillespie opens the bowling in a sweater, ITSTL.

Anderson seems fine. Let's hope so.

Oram should open up, Gillespie concedes 7 off the remaining 5 balls.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, Martin opens-up. FFS.

Wind is certainly very high today. Sun out tho, so I'm guessing the return to the standard high-wind conditions will bring changeable weather.

Almost all the deliveries so far on the pads from both bowlers.

Woodster

International Captain
Gonna be pretty awkward both bowling into and with this strong wind today. Big part to play for Panesar ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH mate, with this wind I'll be surprised if the weather stays constant for more than about half-an-hour or so, but Wellingtonians (if there are any who aren't at the cricket) would probably know more. This reminds me so much of grounds up on Dartmoor in April or September, where two sweaters are occasionally a prerequistite.

Natman20

International Debutant
Why didn't they include southee in this game? Instead they persist with Gillespie who is extremely expensive and doesn't strike unless hes bowling to the tail end. Whats worse is him opening the bowling today. Whos idea was that? I would have thought they wouldn't want anymore runs added to the total.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why didn't they include southee in this game?
'Cos at 19 years of age he's highly unlikely to be Test-class and can only really lose by playing?

Right, that's gone, Martin wraps-up the innings having MSP caught by Taylor. 438 is the final target. 175 overs available to both teams, provided it doesn't rain. Now let's get this day started properly.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Panesar gone, at least neither of them got a crack on the arm or helmet, which was not beyond the realms of possibility. Right, now lets get down to business.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Instead they persist with Gillespie who is extremely expensive and doesn't strike unless hes bowling to the tail end. Whats worse is him opening the bowling today. Whos idea was that? I would have thought they wouldn't want anymore runs added to the total.
TBF, I thought that at first - then I remembered that Gillespie was 1 ball into an over and had 5 balls left of that to complete this morn. :)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty average bowling there from Gillespie and Martin but anyhow..437 to win.

James Franklin apparently reckons it won't swing as much as some people are thinking and I guess he'd know as he's played many a game at the Basin.

Natman20

International Debutant
'Cos at 19 years of age he's highly unlikely to be Test-class and can only really lose by playing?

Right, that's gone, Martin wraps-up the innings having MSP caught by Taylor. 438 is the final target.
I see the point. I would still have Southee in bowling less overs than a rubbish gillespie all over the show run fest.

Chances of reaching this total extremely unlikely but there is time to do it. Would have to expect something spectacular from the batsmen and Anderson not to bowl.

Brett Dale

School Boy/Girl Captain
Why the heck did England bat on? Wasn't 421 enough for them? Im guessing if Pansar didnt go out, they would of kept batting till 500.

438 runs to win.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
it's not going to be easy out there for the bowlers. Sun is coming out, pitch is flat, wind is up. There will be some hard slog ahead. But i still feel this game is out of reach for NZ anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm, Anderson looks undoubtedly fit to walk, but not 100% convincing about whether he's able to run properly. Hardly surprising, of course.

Out of 124 occasions a target equal to or greater than 438 has been set in Test history, 100 have resulted in loss, 24 in draws.

Woodster

International Captain
If there is one NZ batsman that is going to usher NZ towards a highly unlikely victory target, who would it be that plays that innings of a lifetime ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Stephen Paul Fleming, would have to be surely?

How and Bell would surely have to add 60 ot 70 to start with tho.

Interesting, Sidebottom gets a decent breakback on the opening delivery.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oram fined 20% of match-fee interestingly. Adjudged to have shown dissent following his lbw to Sidebottom, which strikes me as a tadge harsh TBH.

Well, Anderson to open the bowling. Not easy into the wind at the best of times, never mind with this ankle. Vaughan's hat blowing off too.