• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Flem274*

123/5
No wonder the English media are so scathing, once again they have to cover themselves after writing us off. Found this in the Herald online:

"Routed for 110 in their second innings on Sunday, England succumbed to a duo uncharitably described before the match by visiting media as `pie throwers' worthy only of representing the Ilford second 11."

Love it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well its completey understandable that Broad took Harmison's place (extra batting, Broads reliable if not spectacular bowling), but Hoggard? Anderson had an average domestic match here so why is he being rocketed to the team? Seems odd.

Oh well, better put some money on us while the Poms are still favourites at the TAB. Dropping Hoggsy was the clincher.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
whenever I have been to a test (or ODI for that matter) at the Basin it has been pretty empty, so it would be great if this was true.
Dunno which games you've been to mate, but Bangladesh aside, the tests at the Basin are always well attended, and back when it hosted ODIs it was always mostly full (the stands never seemed to attract punters for some reason).

Couldn't you just stay the night there? I remember two of my friends staying there for the night and watched the game the next day without a ticket. Or do they close it up for the tests?
It's been closed to the public for the whole week.

pasag

RTDAS
LOL at England, Hoggard would have the right to feel pretty pissed off that Harmison got chance after chance for ages, one pitiful performance after another yet Hoggard gets the axe just like that. Dire.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Dunno which games you've been to mate, but Bangladesh aside, the tests at the Basin are always well attended, and back when it hosted ODIs it was always mostly full (the stands never seemed to attract punters for some reason).
Haven't been since 2001 maybe. ODI's always had a good turnout.
Yeah, the 1st day is normally pretty full-ish on the embankment, but below the Vance stand and to the right of it is normally pretty empty.

Yeah, well attended, but never sold out.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Well its completey understandable that Broad took Harmison's place (extra batting, Broads reliable if not spectacular bowling), but Hoggard? Anderson had an average domestic match here so why is he being rocketed to the team? Seems odd.

Oh well, better put some money on us while the Poms are still favourites at the TAB. Dropping Hoggsy was the clincher.
Just on the betting front, I reckon a good bet would be New Zealand to win the series 1-0, paying $6.50, not bad odds IMO. Even 1-1 at $3.45 is reasonable.

Have to wonder why a "drawn series" is paying $3.20 and a 1-1 scoreline is at $3.45 though....

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have to wonder why a "drawn series" is paying $3.20 and a 1-1 scoreline is at $3.45 though....
That's your mistake thinking a bookmaker balances a book based on probability and not weight of money. Two different books, the weight of money will be sitting differently I'd assume. I doubt one book has the options 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, 1-2, 0-2, 0-1, 1-1, 0-0(S), "drawn series". Without looking at the TAB website, I'd guess there's two books - one on the scoreline and one on the series result; the weight of cash placed on the available outcomes on each book will dictate the favourite unless the bookmaker wants to end up out of pocket and out of a job.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I see your point and there are two different betting options with the series result - one for the winner (including the drawn series) and one for the exact outcome. However anyone wanting to put money on a drawn series (remember it has to be 1-1 for that to occur) would be crazy not to choose the "1-1 scoreline", effectively earning an extra 25 cents for every dollar investment.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I see your point and there are two different betting options with the series result - one for the winner (including the drawn series) and one for the exact outcome. However anyone wanting to put money on a drawn series (remember it has to be 1-1 for that to occur) would be crazy not to choose the "1-1 scoreline", effectively earning an extra 25 cents for every dollar investment.
Very true. But sadly, there are enough idiots out there that there'll still be some bets on the 'drawn series' outcome anyway. Doubt whether much money gets placed on cricket anyway as it happens.

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Whilst applauding the fact that the England selectors have had the balls to ring the changes, I think it's very unfair that Hoggard has been dropped.

He's had one bad game and is out. I can't belive that either Broad or Anderson will do better than Hoggard would have done. I'll be delighted if I'm proved wrong and they bowl fantastcally well at the basin reserve.

I just hope that brining in the two new bowlers isn't some daft idea about ' building for the future'......

JHutch

Cricket Spectator
Strange decision to drop Hoggard. Maybe he has said something behind the scenes and partly been left out because of that? Am not an Anderson fan - i think he is the bowlers equivalent of a flat-track bully. Put him on a helpful surface against some poor batsmen and he will do well. Put him in more testing conditions though and the scoreboard operators are in for a busy day. New Zealand's batsmen certainly took a liking to him in the one day series - unless it is a really good swing bowlers strip then i think he will struggle

Flem274*

123/5
Strange decision to drop Hoggard. Maybe he has said something behind the scenes and partly been left out because of that? Am not an Anderson fan - i think he is the bowlers equivalent of a flat-track bully. Put him on a helpful surface against some poor batsmen and he will do well. Put him in more testing conditions though and the scoreboard operators are in for a busy day. New Zealand's batsmen certainly took a liking to him in the one day series - unless it is a really good swing bowlers strip then i think he will struggle
First morning Basin Reserve I'd back him to do OK. NZ 2nd innings though unless its rained and/or its humid as hell I don't expect much of him.

How is he at exploiting reverse swing? The ball fell to pieces on the last couple of days in hamilton, if it happens again those bowlers that are good with the reverse swing should do well.

I see Scaly has entered, come on Scaly boy, whats the excuse?:p

I'm picking crappy pitch (i.e. pitch you didn't win on) possible ball tampering, Englands fault completely, too many non Durham players, NZ getting lucky etc

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Maybe he has said something behind the scenes and partly been left out because of that?
If there was one player who I would say that was not the case, it would be Hoggy.

Of all the England players, his committment, worh-ethic and attitide have always seemed top notch..

And that's my 50th post, brought up in an 'England 1st innings alike' speed!

JHutch

Cricket Spectator
If there was one player who I would say that was not the case, it would be Hoggy.

Of all the England players, his committment, worh-ethic and attitide have always seemed top notch..
I was thinking more that either he might have suggested that other people's weren't or that he had a disagreement about preparation etc. I agree that he isnt someone who seems to say anything but just gets on with his job. I was just trying to come up with a possible reason for an odd omission.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Patel is out, Gillespie is in. Gillespie deserves his place, and frankly it sounds as though the wicket will be a seamers delight. Sinclair hasn't been dropped either. :cool:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Worst possible scenario for England is that they lose the game and Anderson does well.

1 good performance may pursuade them to keep him in the team long term and that is nothing but bad news.

Steulen

International Regular
The England selection panel pretending to be ruthless here, and Hoggard pays the price. Real ruthlessness would have meant dropping Vaughan for lacking sizeable scores with the bat, inspiration and the ability to marshall his current troops.

Interesting observation by Angus Fraser in the Independent that it's always the batsmen who survive a cull in these situations.

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
Glad to see harmison axed... Hoggard aswell, it's nice to see some of the other bowlers getting a chance, but i would still like to see Sajid Mahmood back in a test shirt...