• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Meanwhile, Larsen added demand for tickets to the second test against England starting tomorrow has been phenomenal and two days of the match could be total sellouts.
I remember the Auckland ODI was gonna be a sellout, but it wasnt.

Anywho, whenever I have been to a test (or ODI for that matter) at the Basin it has been pretty empty, so it would be great if this was true.

99*

International Debutant
Better ****ing not be, haven't got a ticket yet. :(
Couldn't you just stay the night there? I remember two of my friends staying there for the night and watched the game the next day without a ticket. Or do they close it up for the tests?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I must say, that as a New Zealand supporter, I am absolutely fine with Hoggard being left out of the side. It'll be interesting to see how the new boys go. If England bowl first, Anderson in particular may prove quite a handful.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I must say, that as a New Zealand supporter, I am absolutely fine with Hoggard being left out of the side. It'll be interesting to see how the new boys go. If England bowl first, Anderson in particular may prove quite a handful.
Yip. I am very happy with Hoggard being left out! :)

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Don't worry mate, I am sure you will have no problem getting a ticket. They are probably just expecting a sellout, most of the crowd should be a walkup one.
Most crowds for test matches in New Zealand are walk up so just get there early and stroll on up. The only tickets sold wil probably be the ones allocated to the English supporters.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd have thought he'd have had more credit int eh bank (Hoggard that is) than this. He showed in Australia last year he's durable and is capable of bowling very well, even on featherbeds like Adelaide.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hoggard is a strange case.

In the 1st Test, when he hit his length he looked very dangerous. Unfortunately he did is so seldomly that few noticed and most of his bowling was pure dross.

There seems to be a feeling (that I dont share) that he doesnt have much left in the tank and in nearly finished.

Broad and Anderson eh? Christ.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
God, imagine if Anderson drops short on a low, slow pitch in NZ like he did at times out here last year.

I would have thought Hoggard would have been a better option, but who knows.

So now, none of the 5 bowlers who did so well just over 2.5 years ago in the Ashes series are playing for England. Giles usurped by Monty, Jones and Flintoff injured, now Hoggard and Harmison both dropped.

You'd have not thought it possible on that afternoon at the Oval, would you?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Not surprised about Harmison but Hoggard???? He could have been bloody dangerous on the Wellington pitch. The NZ team will be certainly happy about that.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Not surprised about Harmison but Hoggard???? He could have been bloody dangerous on the Wellington pitch. The NZ team will be certainly happy about that.
Yeah agreed. Harmison needed to be dropped but I've always thought of Hoggard as a "form is temporary class is permanent" type of player. He should be playing 10/10 times (if fit) for England.

Flem274*

123/5
A big let off for the Black Caps. Hoggard and Sidebottom would be bloody dangerous at Wellington. IIRC half the English posters don't really rate Anderson and Broad in tests am I right? If so then we only need worry ourselves with Sidebottom and Monty.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with everyone's response to the dropping of Matthew Hoggard, as impressive as Broad was at times during the ODI series I still think both he and Anderson are below Hoggard in terms of test match quality.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't believe Hoggard has been dropped. Our best bowler for years has one bad game, no-one's really knocking the door down for his place, and he's out.

His performances have been far better than Strauss, for example. Why are the batsmen always immune?

chalky

International Debutant
Can't believe Hoggard has beenn dropped, can understand Harmison who looks shot. Especially for an unproven Broad & Jimmy Anderson who wiith his current action will always struggle to take test wickets. Complete overreaction from the England management & looks like England are going back to the pre Duncan Fletcher era of change for the sake of it even it means bringing in an inferior player for a better one.

I hope Sidebottom has had plenty of rest I dare say he will be doing a lot of bowling in the next five days or so.