• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd imagine the pitch will have a bit of juice in it following rain.

Looking forward to seeing whether England do better in their 2nd innings.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Come on Bevan Griggs!!! I work with his girlfriend at the Radio Network, every run will be getting cheered I would imagine.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
So how many's that now?

Sidebottom, Tremlett, Collingwood with injury concerns so far.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ton up for Harmy at a healthy rate of 4.5. From what I've heard, his wickets were:
Taylor: slashing at a wide one.
Elliot: Strangled down the leg side
Orchard: leaving a straight one first ball
Griggs & Patel: swish and caught behind

But a wickets a wicket I suppose, and given how indisciplined most of the batters in the NZ lineup are, he'll likely have gotten plenty more of these by the time the 6th test is done.
Monty gets the last one and thats that. 140 runs ahead.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
England 82/2 with 21 overs to play today, Mark Gillespie with both wickets to fall.

Looks as though How secured his spot with his 65 yesterday so I'd imagine Craig Cumming might be on the outer for a little while. Fulton will probably be selected though I'd prefer to see both Taylor and Sinclair in the side given his lack of form recently.

chalky

International Debutant
Tremlett of the field with a side injury...Harmison still bowling tripe but probably gets a spot in the side now
Sky sports are reporting that Tremlett is out of Series with the side injury.

Hopefully Sidebottom recovers from his hamstring injury intime for the 1st test otherwise it will be straight fight between between Anderson & Broad for the 3rd Seamers spot.

TheEpic

School Boy/Girl Captain
Is anyone else growing incredibly frustrated at Harmison's total resignation that he is either not very good, or at least mightily inconsistent. The England team management seem to be pretty forgiving too, i know Vaughan said the other day that 'he's seen him spray the ball around worse than today', which isn't really an attitude i'm too fond of. Every interview I see Harmison give he is brutally honest that he isn't bowling very well, and that he rarely bowls very well.

I haven't seen Steve Harmison bowl well in 2 and a half years. I know he can perform, but its almost as though every series is overshadowed by Harmison's fitness, or form, or radar. Every Test match coverage is blighted by speculation as to whether it is technical components of his action or his mental state which is letting him down, and its all frankly pretty tedious.

Its a shame Tremlett has broken down, cos he's pretty much a Harmison clone who is capable of bowling a bit more consistently, although maybe not with the same capability for bowling devastating spells as GBH. I desperately want to see Harmison succeed, because he has shown he can be incredibly difficult to face, but 1 good performance every year or so is just not good enough.

This is why England will never be consistently on Australia's level, because they are just not ruthless enough. We get consumed by mediocrity, and are willing to forgive years of bad performance for the slim possibility of a world class display. I think most England fans have been patient enough with Harmison, but i'm now seriously bored of finding out whether he can be arsed to give the necessary effort to be a success for the national team.

Time to ship him back to Durham where he is seemingly so comfortable until we see a rapid upturn in his efforts, and if we don't then we must look to the future and the likes of Broad and Tremlett.

Blah. Rant over.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is anyone else growing incredibly frustrated at Harmison's total resignation that he is either not very good, or at least mightily inconsistent. The England team management seem to be pretty forgiving too, i know Vaughan said the other day that 'he's seen him spray the ball around worse than today', which isn't really an attitude i'm too fond of. Every interview I see Harmison give he is brutally honest that he isn't bowling very well, and that he rarely bowls very well.

I haven't seen Steve Harmison bowl well in 2 and a half years. I know he can perform, but its almost as though every series is overshadowed by Harmison's fitness, or form, or radar. Every Test match coverage is blighted by speculation as to whether it is technical components of his action or his mental state which is letting him down, and its all frankly pretty tedious.

Its a shame Tremlett has broken down, cos he's pretty much a Harmison clone who is capable of bowling a bit more consistently, although maybe not with the same capability for bowling devastating spells as GBH. I desperately want to see Harmison succeed, because he has shown he can be incredibly difficult to face, but 1 good performance every year or so is just not good enough.

This is why England will never be consistently on Australia's level, because they are just not ruthless enough. We get consumed by mediocrity, and are willing to forgive years of bad performance for the slim possibility of a world class display. I think most England fans have been patient enough with Harmison, but i'm now seriously bored of finding out whether he can be arsed to give the necessary effort to be a success for the national team.

Time to ship him back to Durham where he is seemingly so comfortable until we see a rapid upturn in his efforts, and if we don't then we must look to the future and the likes of Broad and Tremlett.

Blah. Rant over.
Good rant, and I sympathize a fair bit. Yet the comparison with Australia is pointless imho. We've tried other seamers recently, they've been uniformly awful. We don't have the talent, england selectors have not been playing a cruel practical joke by picking the likes of Plunkers and Saj, they honestly believe they're the best of the rest:blink:

You mention Tremlett on a day were his recurring problems happen again. A player that breaks down so often is no use to anyone. Its very predictable and has left England in the lurch, yet again. There was plenty of slating for him not being picked on this tour, but I'm guessing the fact he's the new Paul Jarvis has something to do with it.

Face it the well is dry, and GBH is the one of the best we have :(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Blah. Rant over.
Harmison has indeed been given more chances than even the most hopeless of hopeless cases usually get. But I'm really not terribly surprised. I think it was about 2 years ago now that I mentioned the Extra Commandment:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Followed by the logic, When Harmison plays, England are more likely to win. Which has a lot of merit.

Last edited: