• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India

ganeshran

International Debutant
And if ODIs were meaningful we wouldn't have players rested from them extremely regularly. A series in India between Australia and India recently springs to mind, which was an A tour in all but name.

People are allowed to care about what they like, but Scaly is not being dishonest in his posts; I'm sure he wouldn't be thinking it was a big deal if England had won this series.
Its all relative. ODIs might be meaningless for english fans, but its certainly not a meaningless format for everyone, neither are the skill levels needed to excel in ODIs trivial. In the subcontinent, Test matches are hardly followed by the general public except keeping tab on the score and the result.

Like I said in my previous post, the only truly meaningless form of the game is International T20. The sooner ICC chucks out the format to make it exclusively for domestic leagues, the better.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Its all relative. ODIs might be meaningless for english fans, but its certainly not a meaningless format for everyone, neither are the skill levels needed to excel in ODIs trivial. In the subcontinent, Test matches are hardly followed by the general public except keeping tab on the score and the result.

Like I said in my previous post, the only truly meaningless form of the game is International T20. The sooner ICC chucks out the format to make it exclusively for domestic leagues, the better.
Nah, this series has been pretty meaningless, hardly anyone on here seems to have cared a great deal about it. I have to say, I expected a wee bit of gloating from some of the guys here after the series in summer - the complete absence of any such gloating makes leads me to the conclusion that guys like Cevno really haven't placed that much importance on this series.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Nah, this series has been pretty meaningless, hardly anyone on here seems to have cared a great deal about it. I have to say, I expected a wee bit of gloating from some of the guys here after the series in summer - the complete absence of any such gloating makes leads me to the conclusion that guys like Cevno really haven't placed that much importance on this series.
People didnt gloat that much because winning at home isnt new to us.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
And if ODIs were meaningful we wouldn't have players rested from them extremely regularly. A series in India between Australia and India recently springs to mind, which was an A tour in all but name.

People are allowed to care about what they like, but Scaly is not being dishonest in his posts; I'm sure he wouldn't be thinking it was a big deal if England had won this series.
I think you missed this bit-

ODIs were taken very seriously up by all nations (possibly except England) until a couple of years ago when IPL and CL T20 arrived and cricketers started skipping ODI series and multi-nation ODI tournaments disappeared.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
When you have so many players missing, thats bound to happen - (not caring about it).

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Part of the reason is that the serious fans (like Cevno) haven't forgotten what happened in England, and even if we win this 5-0, it will do nothing to redeem the pathetic performance earlier in the summer. Besides, Cevno is not the one to gloat from what I know. Bun should have been active for that :p And lastly, as I said, things have changed in last couple of years because of T20 influence. Trust me, no cricket fan in India spoke of only test record for any cricketer in isolation like it happens on CW. Any cricketer's worth got judged based on performance in both formats.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cevno gloating makes a series important? :p

Your point is true though, tbh I care about this series not so much for the results but rather to see Ashwin, Ajinkya, Yadav, Raina, Kohli and Aaron in action.

Kohli_fan

Banned
I care about this series! We are showing that even with a young side we are a force at home!

Plus a 5-0 whitewash over England would be sweet revenge for this summer, but we still need to beat them in the Tests next year (which shouldnt be a problem) that will be sweet

Jacknife

International Captain
I care about this series! We are showing that even with a young side we are a force at home!

Plus a 5-0 whitewash over England would be sweet revenge for this summer, but we still need to beat them in the Tests next year (which shouldnt be a problem) that will be sweet
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha Test match hubris is VITSTL when you've just been absolutely blown off the park like few top-ranked sides ever have in the history of Test cricket.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha Test match hubris is VITSTL when you've just been absolutely blown off the park like few top-ranked sides ever have in the history of Test cricket.
You're forgetting that the series next year is bejng played in that mysterious, mystical land known as the Subcontinent; where nothing is as it seems and everything is different despite looking the same as on the other side of the wardrobe.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Was waiting for the series to get over before gloating .:ph34r:

Part of the reason is that the serious fans (like Cevno) haven't forgotten what happened in England, and even if we win this 5-0, it will do nothing to redeem the pathetic performance earlier in the summer. Besides, Cevno is not the one to gloat from what I know. Bun should have been active for that :p And lastly, as I said, things have changed in last couple of years because of T20 influence. Trust me, no cricket fan in India spoke of only test record for any cricketer in isolation like it happens on CW. Any cricketer's worth got judged based on performance in both formats.
Agree with this.

Just to add this series is as important as the ODI series in England was AFAIC, and many were gloating about that on here from the other side adding it to the test series, ofcourse.(7-0, 8-0) whatever it was made.

I guess the relative lack of interest here, may be down to the fact that many expected the result in any case and also the matches really haven't been close or controversial at all. And the interest as shown in the 3rd match is at it's peak here when the match is close and in a tight situation.

Personally would liked to have tests before gloating or anything like that too, but even then it'd depend on the mood and the time spent here.:p

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Would be decently confident of beating England in a test series, even if started tomorrow with both teams at full
strength tbh. Especially, if it is atleast 4/5 matches and not the 2 match series which are the only ones we have drawn even, in the last 6/7 years at home.

Last edited:

ganeshran

International Debutant
You're forgetting that the series next year is bejng played in that mysterious, mystical land known as the Subcontinent; where nothing is as it seems and everything is different despite looking the same as on the other side of the wardrobe.
Want to have an Avatar bet on the outcome of the India-Eng series? :ph34r:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't care much about this series and neither do I care much about the Windies series that follows (both legs of it). But I think it is clear that the players do care about these series and as much as I hate to break it, that is more important than what any random forummer thinks.

I am sure that it is worthless to a lot of us but believe it or not, the cricket world does not, in fact, revolve around our opinion and neither does it care much for it. :p

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Would be decently confident of beating England in a test series, even if started tomorrow with both teams at full
strength tbh. Especially, if it is atleast 4/5 matches and not the 2 match series which are the only ones we have drawn even, in the last 6/7 years at home.
Huge difference between your position, which is a reasonable one to take given India's strength at home, and the following:

we still need to beat them in the Tests next year (which shouldnt be a problem)
What is so funny? When is the last time England won a Test Series in India in our conditions? There you go not so funny now is it buddy?