• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Precambrian

Banned
Interesting trivia (Stats)

Average age of England ODI squad = 27
Total no. of ODIs played by Englishmen = 799

Average age of Indian ODI squad = 24.8
Total no.of ODIs played by Indians - 1102

Going by exp and youth, India seems to have an advantage.

Edit: When Tendulkar comes back, presumably at cost of Vijay, the figures are

Avg age - 25.5
Matches - 1519

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well the site hosting that image appears to be down currently, but thanks to the obvious URL naming I can see what it is.

And I don't really think the posts you quoted qualify TBH. It's not like I'm making the same general point for no reason - I'm replying to new posts made since the last mention.

Precambrian

Banned
Time to blood Cheteshwar Pujara?

The guy's absolute gun in the u-19s. And now proving to be class in the Ranji Super League, with a triple ton today against Orissa. And he's had two seasons of grind in FC cricket, yet only 20 yrs of age. Definitely should get a look in the shorter format atleast.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

The guy's absolute gun in the u-19s. And now proving to be class in the Ranji Super League, with a triple ton today against Orissa. And he's had two seasons of grind in FC cricket, yet only 20 yrs of age. Definitely should get a look in the shorter format atleast.
Based solely on his record (which may not tell us everything), he seems much more suited to FC cricket though. My problem is trying people out in ODIs when they don't necessarily belong there, and a failure there somehow precludes them from the Test team as well.

Lambu

U19 Debutant

Blood him in place of whom??Seriously we must refrain from introducing newbies just for the sake of it..i mean which spot according to you is free in the shorter format?

Lambu

U19 Debutant
So?

Why is it of the slightest importance?

I honestly couldn't care less about anything to do with a game, if it's a 12-a-sider.
Yeah you have a point in not caring about these "games" but its also a fact that no team takes their practice matches so lightly.Regardless of the playing the conditions an International side to get wiped out so easily by a club side is an embaressment.I don't think anybody would consider it otherwise..atleast things would have been different if they played the Mumbai FC side but this is ridiculous.

Also it is of some importance because it shows that there might be some good talent in that MCA side to perform well against Eng irrespective of their mental attitude towards the match.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's of importance in terms of getting yourself acclimatised and establishing your credentials to a wider audience - same as a net session is.

The result and long-term ramifications of the individual performance is completely and utterly irrlevant. In this respect it's completely different to a proper game of cricket.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Can't believe i am saying this, but for the game's future i hope Indian's next generation of batsman can step & be adequate replacements for the "Big 4". With 20/20 treating to corrupt the game, a strong India is imperitive.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
It's of importance in terms of getting yourself acclimatised and establishing your credentials to a wider audience - same as a net session is.
Where has anyone argued it is otherwise..cosider it something like this, what if the entire England team couldn't put bat on ball in the net session? You would obviously have some cause for concern surely..shows they aren't prepared.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It does, but that's not the point being made by people - people are saying that the result and total are an embarrassment, which, well... they just aren't IMO. The game would have to be a game of the slightest meaning for that to be true.

The fact that lack of acclimatisation\form appears to be present is of course a worry, but you could find that out by watching some net sessions as well.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Can't believe i am saying this, but for the game's future i hope Indian's next generation of batsman can step & be adequate replacements for the "Big 4". With 20/20 treating to corrupt the game, a strong India is imperitive.
There is absolutely no chance of India's generation next providing replacements for SRT, Dravid, Ganguly and Laxman - all the rhetoric of Indian fans and their excitement at any 20 year old who scores runs in domestic cricket notwithstanding. There are some good youngsters around but one cant see anyone of the caliber of Sachin, Laxman and Dravid. The only guy who may turn out to be really good seems to be Rohit Sharma but the jury is still out. The rest are okay.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
There is absolutely no chance of India's generation next providing replacements for SRT, Dravid, Ganguly and Laxman - all the rhetoric of Indian fans and their excitement at any 20 year old who scores runs in domestic cricket notwithstanding. There are some good youngsters around but one cant see anyone of the caliber of Sachin, Laxman and Dravid. The only guy who may turn out to be really good seems to be Rohit Sharma but the jury is still out. The rest are okay.
yep...ganguly is probably the only one who can be properly replaced(as a batsman)...tendulkar will not be replaced at least in the next generation or two, dravid and laxman will be very hard to replace....but the way the game is trending, it might be reduced to just 20/20s and 10/10s in a few more years so it wouldn't matter....:@

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
People said that about Gavaskar, and Sachin came along 2-3 years after. Then Dravid came along. I'm not saying we'll find another Sachin, because its doubtful that we will. But guess what, we never won anything outside the subcontinent all during the nineties. Not a single Test, let alone a series.

I'm not worried about batting replacements to be honest. I think we'll find people who'll do a creditable job, average somewhere in the forties, maybe one will average fifty, and that'll be good enough.

What is more important are our bowling stocks, especially fast bowling stocks, and that'll decide our future as a team.

stumpski

International Captain
Going back to Shah, I know it was only a practice game, but really, it made no sense for Harmison and Anderson to bat in his place. Not only might England have made a decent fist of their target, but more importantly, he'd have had some time in the middle. I can only assume he was feeling a bit off colour. He didn't bowl either, and while he's not likely to bowl a lot on the tour, he could have had a couple of overs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've said it before - I'm a better bowler than he is.

These 12-a-side games, as I've said several times recently, you might have noticed, are something I don't pay the slightest attention to. But yeah, if Shah was just the 12th-man, did not field and did not bat, it would've made sense to either a) play 11-a-side (preferable) or b) give someone else a go.