• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

listento_me

U19 Captain
How? I dont get this. England is lacking a Swann level spinner and unless you find one, they are going to struggle in sub continent.

If you think Moeen=Swann then thats a different story.
Didn't Moeen pick u pa 5-for and get just as many wickets as Stokes? Plus he has shown to reduce the number of bad balls he delivers this series as well as managing to get some serious grip and turn. The batting side really let England down in the second test. Not much to do with Moeen who has been pretty important for England with the odd partnership breaking wicket and useful innings.

I'm much more concerned with the likes of Ballance, Hales, Buttler and co not stepping up for England. Ducks has a lot to prove and the only other opener out there is Haseeb, God knows what he will be liked against the Indians.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How? I dont get this. England is lacking a Swann level spinner and unless you find one, they are going to struggle in sub continent.
Cycling through all the mediocre county spinners isn't really going the increase the chances of 'finding' such a player though. Zimbabwe are lacking a Swann-level spinner as well but it doesn't mean they should drop Cremer and keep trying progressively worse players in a desperate attempt to find one.

Moeen's bowling had been getting progressively less effective to the point where it really did become time to see if the next little group in line might be able to do better than him, but if the evidence of the Bangladesh series just gone is anything to go by, he might still be the best of them. It's not a good thing for England by any means but pretending every spinner who took wickets at under 35 in the most recent season might just miraculously transform into good Test spinners if they're promoted is just going to make things worse IMO, not better.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All true, but I don't think AZH was criticizing Moeen at all. Just making an observation.

Didn't see the first test so missed Batty's bowling. Him or Ansari?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ansari is a joke bowler at this stage of his career, frankly. Yuvraj Singh is a better left-arm spinner than Ansari. I think Batty is England's 2nd best spinner now, although even their best spinner is not test class - so Batty is far from test class. Rashid shouldn't be selected in the playing XI, especially against India.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Ansari is a joke bowler at this stage of his career, frankly. Yuvraj Singh is a better left-arm spinner than Ansari. I think Batty is England's 2nd best spinner now, although even their best spinner is not test class - so Batty is far from test class. Rashid shouldn't be selected in the playing XI, especially against India.
Even if they wanted to pivot to a four seamer attack I don't think they can do that now. With no Anderson or Wood, and Finn not bowling well this game they don't have 4 worthy seamers - so they will probably play 3 spinners. They've got Broad and Stokes. Woakes didn't look like taking wickets when he bowled but burgled 3 wickets with pies. He batted decently though so he'll play. Finn played this past test because they were looking at him either replacing Woakes, or being part of a four man seam attack imo - Hard to see either of those things happening now.

Batty and Ali will play imo. Last spot will be between Rashid and Ansari. Ansari improved greatly in second innings which wasn't hard (him and Ali could have take 8 or 9 wickets in that spell at the start of day 3 when they got 1 in total) but is still far from good. Bayliss loves a leggie and Rashid is much more likely that Ansari to contribute with the bat. I think they might go Ansari. Cook will like the fact that he is more able to bowl to a plan. e.g Tamim Leg trap. We might get some Gilo type, over the wicket and 4 foot outside leg stump type bowling if we're lucky.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea Finn can **** off home. Total waste him being there.

Still can't quite get my head around Leach not being there. Broad, Woakes, Stokes, Moeen and Leach would have been the best England have available and allows them to stack the batting.