• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah that is what I mean, tearing the piece apart and telling it like it actually is. Writer is made to look stupid though doubt he cares.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
So that's twice now England have come close to winning the first test match of a SC tour and Adil Rashid has been at the centre of both.

Really happy for Hameed. To have your family watch your first test match, then to get your first half century in the city your family is originally from..this is the sort of fairy-tale only sports can give us.

listento_me

U19 Captain
I don't agree with everything he says, especially the part about if test cricket in India suffers, it suffers everywhere. That's a load of bollocks as the biggest and most important test crowds have almost always been in England and Australia. Sparse crowds in India or the rest of the SC is nothing new.

I will however agree that India, from almost the start of their time batting, as early as their first innings, looked to survive rather than attack. And then Cook and Hameed (I mentioned this during play) were batting too slow to be in with a chance of winning and like the writer states, when you have guys like Root and Stokes (I'd add in Ali too), you can afford to play quick at the beginning and lose an opener early, especially in these conditions. However both teams quickly resigned themselves to a draw. Maybe it's through the experience that neither truly as a bowling line up that can trouble unless there is swing (England) or rank turn (India)? They maybe felt the runs were inevitable.

Whatever the reason, test matches in India are decided on which ever team bats first. However trying to give Australia too much credit for playing attacking test cricket and then comforting them for being terrible while batting as of late is plain stupid. Honestly, England have played very attacking test cricket of late, obviously not including the last test.

The article clearly has a lot of bias but as with many things, there is truth in it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't agree with everything he says, especially the part about if test cricket in India suffers, it suffers everywhere. That's a load of bollocks as the biggest and most important test crowds have almost always been in England and Australia. Sparse crowds in India or the rest of the SC is nothing new.

I will however agree that India, from almost the start of their time batting, as early as their first innings, looked to survive rather than attack. And then Cook and Hameed (I mentioned this during play) were batting too slow to be in with a chance of winning and like the writer states, when you have guys like Root and Stokes (I'd add in Ali too), you can afford to play quick at the beginning and lose an opener early, especially in these conditions. However both teams quickly resigned themselves to a draw. Maybe it's through the experience that neither truly as a bowling line up that can trouble unless there is swing (England) or rank turn (India)? They maybe felt the runs were inevitable.

Whatever the reason, test matches in India are decided on which ever team bats first.
However trying to give Australia too much credit for playing attacking test cricket and then comforting them for being terrible while batting as of late is plain stupid. Honestly, England have played very attacking test cricket of late, obviously not including the last test.

The article clearly has a lot of bias but as with many things, there is truth in it.

Right.........8-)

Tom Flint

International Regular
I'd love to see england pick this team for next summer and stick with it as I think it's the best team to take to the ashes next winter

Cook
Hameed
Root
Duckett
Ali
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes
Broad
Leach
Anderson

Would love to get wood in for his extra pace but will get slaughtered on here if I suggest leaving out broad or Anderson!

Bijed

International Regular
When England won in India in 2012, they lost the toss and batted second in every test bar the last (which was the draw)
Even so, the thought of England batting last (regardless of the conditions tbh) never fails to fill me with trepidation.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I'd love to see england pick this team for next summer and stick with it as I think it's the best team to take to the ashes next winter

Cook
Hameed
Root
Duckett
Ali
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes
Broad
Leach
Anderson

Would love to get wood in for his extra pace but will get slaughtered on here if I suggest leaving out broad or Anderson!

I would suggest it was much more likely that England pick an extra batsman, WK(probably Buttler), or fast bowler ( probably Wood) in the place of Leach in that team. Leach's rep seems to be growing by the day, I wonder how many of his fans have watched much of him. Picking two spinners in Aus seems an unecessary move for the most part, even if you think Ali is in the best 5 batsman.

I'd also have Bairstow and Ali swapped in the batting order. I know others seem keen on Ali at 5 but I don't see him batting 5 against the seam heavy attacks. Bairstow is the better allround bat, and Moeen is still susceptible against the short ball and flirting away outside the offstump. Ali is an ideal 6 or 7 imo, Bairstow and Stokes are number 6 bats ideally. Obviously they can't all bat 6 though.

Last edited:

Tom Flint

International Regular
I would suggest it was much more likely that England pick an extra batsman, WK(probably Buttler), or fast bowler ( probably Wood) in the place of Leach in that team. Leach's rep seems to be growing by the day, I wonder how many of his fans have watched much of him. Picking two spinners in Aus seems an unecessary move for the most part, even if you think Ali is in the best 5 batsman.

I'd also have Bairstow and Ali swapped in the batting order. I know others seem keen on Ali at 5 but I don't see him batting 5 against the seam heavy attacks. Bairstow is the better allround bat, and Moeen is still susceptible against the short ball and flirting away outside the offstump. Ali is an ideal 6 or 7 imo, Bairstow and Stokes are number 6 bats ideally. Obviously they can't all bat 6 though.
I'd still like to have a proper spinner in every test, don't always have to be a big turner of the ball just someone economic to build some pressure. Lyon has done this successfully for the last few years. Leach wasn't just good at Taunton he took wickets away from home too and his economy rate in shorter formats is goo too, I think he could do the Lyon role better than Ali.
Agreed bairstow is a more reliable bat than mo, but it's good to have that security at 7 in case they rip through or top order with the new ball. But any order you put stokes , moeen and bairstow is going to be a strong middle order esp with woakesy at 8!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good to see curators having some sort of backbone I suppose.

I don't think it was a bad pitch, but it did make the toss very important.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see curators having some sort of backbone I suppose.

I don't think it was a bad pitch, but it did make the toss very important.
Yeah, but there has to be one pitch like this in a 5 match test series in India. Would be weird without it.