• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in New Zealand

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interestingly right at the moment, not one NZ batsmen (playing in this test) averages over 40 in Test Cricket and not one bowler averages less then 30.

These are the averages I normally consider to be a good player. Should those averages be changed, or is it an accurate sign on NZ Cricket?

Note - Fleming at lunch is averaging 39.96.
Jacob Oram averaged over 40 before the start of this game, and I'm pretty confident that Fleming will be over that mark by the end of the Test. Keep in mind we've got three pretty new Test batsmen (Bell, Cumming and Fulton), who are all trying to establish themselves, an absolutely terrible bowler (O'Brien), and a spinner who has to play in New Zealand conditions.

Perm

Fleming falls on 87 and New Zealand are 247/6, with two well-known minnow bashers at the crease. Vettori and McCullum should make a few, even with Shahadat Hossain bowling extremely well. Always thought he had talent, just a little inconsistent.

Perm

I should add that Bangladesh's selection policy in dire. They pick up talented cricketers from around the place and have them compete for a place in the U19s team. If anyone performs there they get the selectors full interest and no-one else gets a look in. They rarely pick players on domestic form and those that they have done (Faisal, Alok and Tapash) have failed miserably. If you're 22 and haven't made your international debut you never will.
It's a definite shame, as the selectors don't seem willing to value domestic performances and would rather pick somebody like Aftab Ahmed for Test cricket, despite being totally unsuited to it. Guys like Ehsanul Haque and Rajin Saleh need to be given an extended run, and for the selectors to have some faith in them.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Jacob Oram averaged over 40 before the start of this game, and I'm pretty confident that Fleming will be over that mark by the end of the Test. Keep in mind we've got three pretty new Test batsmen (Bell, Cumming and Fulton), who are all trying to establish themselves, an absolutely terrible bowler (O'Brien), and a spinner who has to play in New Zealand conditions.
Oram is now under 40, that's why I wrote "at the moment"
Fleming, out so it'll be hard to get over 40.
3 new batsmen, have started there careers quite poorly.
O'Brien, lol
Vettori, fair enough point.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Oram is now under 40, that's why I wrote "at the moment"
Fleming, out so it'll be hard to get over 40.
3 new batsmen, have started there careers quite poorly.
O'Brien, lol
Vettori, fair enough point.
Actually, at the start of this game, the Bangladesh top 6 averaged collectively 14 runs more than the nz top 6. That is skewed by Tamims average of 68 but if we gave him a reasonable average of say, 35, It means, NZs top 6 batsmen only average 19 runs more than Bangladesh. Rather demoralising.I think Fulton will turn out to have an average over 40, just struggling at the moment.

Based on averages , at the moment, with this current team, NZ should be 193/6.

I hope McCullum and Vettori score well here. Both should be averaging more than their current average of 30 and 26 respectively

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

I hope McCullum and Vettori score well here. Both should be averaging more than their current average of 30 and 26 respectively
Yeah, Vettori has improved his batting heaps in the past few years. So basically he's a better batsmen then a player who averages 26.

Craig

World Traveller
9/391.

Hoping Chris Martin can continue his career best form. His highest first class score is 25, did he get that against the Argentine u-19 team or some other team to fill in said hyperbole team?

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Bangladesh are a good chance to make NZ bat again if the two openers do well..but from there on I don't think they'll pose a big threat on the scoreboard for the Kiwis.

Craig

World Traveller
Bangladesh are a good chance to make NZ bat again if the two openers do well..but from there on I don't think they'll pose a big threat on the scoreboard for the Kiwis.
Time is on their side tbh. Staggering how far advanced some Tests get these days, Bangladesh are starting their second innings and we are still on the 2nd day.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Anything the matter with Iqbal, or did they just decide to give Nafees a shot where he should be playing?

Overall, not the best batting performance by us. When playinng Bangladesh you should be looking at a total of 400 at LEAST. There were some bad umpiring decisions but some like Sinclair could've gone on to make a higher score than they did. Just threw it away.

Was impressed by Hossain today, though.