• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs Pakistan in England

brackenNY

School Boy/Girl Captain
I really hope that's true and that's the end of Afridi, he was a complete dead-weight to the side.

Congrats Australia.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just listening to AB on Fox, his post match comments spot on about the younger Pakistan players - they're bowling's good, a couple of experienced players plus Waqar to learn from, but the batting horrendous - a groups of young blokes brought up on T20 and 50 over cricket who haven't been taught how to bat for five days.

Moreover, with no Younis or Yousuf, whose experience are these younger guys going to draw on? AB noted how, when you first come into a test team you talk with, but more importantly you watch your experienced players (and those on the other team for that matter). He said that was a big part of learning his way.

Who can these young guys learn from in their own side?

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
With Waqar's guidance, I think Pakistan's trio could turn into an extremely dangerous pace attack. Gul's bowling surprised me, I thought he'd lost the ability to bowl in Tests due to his recent bad form, but he seems back in form. Would love to see him bowl his yorker more, I do wonder if he does have control over it, because when it does come out, it is genuinely quick and always poses problems, but he tends to bowl it less than once or twice in a spell. Asif bowled well, much has been made of his pace, but when he is accurate, the movement more than makes up for it. Aamer has a lot to learn and I think that he has been overrated recently, he has potential, but it is not realised yet and he spends a lot of time as a run of the mill medium pacer, spraying it about - he has a good deal of control to learn and ways to set up a batsman rather than plonking the ball on the spot.

They did really well to bowl Australia out in both innings on what wasn't a minefield, but the batsmen simply couldn't capitalise.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Don't know what was the more surprising outcome of this match - the revelation that Shahid Afridi isn't cut out for test cricket, or Pakistan managing to fold spectacularly after day one, when the suspicious could note that there would have been nice odds on Australia obtaining a first innings lead.

The fact that whenever we produce a good performance against Pakistan, you find yourself questioning whether it was really that good a performance or whether there was possibly deliberate underperformance going on is the primary reason why I'm not taking any interest in this session beyond what I catch on the general television news sports wrap ups.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Afridi retiring is pretty ridiculous, what if he gets runs in the next test is he going to change his mind?

pasag

RTDAS
With Waqar's guidance, I think Pakistan's trio could turn into an extremely dangerous pace attack. Gul's bowling surprised me, I thought he'd lost the ability to bowl in Tests due to his recent bad form, but he seems back in form. Would love to see him bowl his yorker more, I do wonder if he does have control over it, because when it does come out, it is genuinely quick and always poses problems, but he tends to bowl it less than once or twice in a spell. Asif bowled well, much has been made of his pace, but when he is accurate, the movement more than makes up for it. Aamer has a lot to learn and I think that he has been overrated recently, he has potential, but it is not realised yet and he spends a lot of time as a run of the mill medium pacer, spraying it about - he has a good deal of control to learn and ways to set up a batsman rather than plonking the ball on the spot.

They did really well to bowl Australia out in both innings on what wasn't a minefield, but the batsmen simply couldn't capitalise.
Problem is that with crappy batsmen a) they won't have time to put their feet up much b) they won't gain the confidence you get with winning and may start to feel all their efforts amount to nothing and c) they'll be facing batsmen usually with little pressure on them. And don't even start with the fielding.

Himannv

International Coach
Combination of Aamer and Asif looks really amazing. Hope they both keep their heads.

Dont want to talk much about the batting but clearly missing the likes of Yousuf and Younis. Maybe even Malik might be a step in the right direction as these guys obviously lack experience. Well done to Butt though. Top scored in both innings.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Well....... my only problem is with Afridi he did not even give it a fair try....this is ridiculous to come in start hitting like a maniac, get out caught and then say i am not good enough...or don't have the temprament.... B.S....in the process you make your team lose the test with your reckless batting attitude.....

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes. Holding noted also that Watson should not have got five wickets. Adding this to repeated comments about Asif being too slow at 80mph and we have true incompetance about medium pace bowling from the commentary box.
Holding himself wasn't all that much faster tbh.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Afridi didnt bowl well but if he focuses he can be a very very good test bowler, his batting will remain the same but he has played very crucial test innings in the past. He really shouldn't retire but thats Afridi for you.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yes. Holding noted also that Watson should not have got five wickets. Adding this to repeated comments about Asif being too slow at 80mph and we have true incompetance about medium pace bowling from the commentary box.
TBF it's not a huge surprise; Big Bad Bob and Mikey are both fully paid up members of the fast bowlers union. Watson's bowling does look fairly innocuous at this level (he's a bowler who's vastly flattered by the speed gun, IMHO) and Asif only really troubled the batsmen when he broke the 80mph barrier. His early stuff when he was down around 75-77 mph looked toothless, tbh.

Anyway, fair play to North. Probably keeps his place for another test at least.

Been the best Lords pitch for years too; swung under the clouds, good bounce and carry throughout and helped the spinners on day 4 without ever being a minefield. Shame they aren't all like that. :)