• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They need to forget about the deep field setting and just attack hard with a regulation field, 4 catchers and bowl line and length. There's enough there that Carey and Marsh won't last. Problem is Southee is afraid of their stroke play, he needs to be brave and bring the field up
Yeah, or maybe just run with a deep point and bowl channel with an otherwise orthodox field.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In some ways, a defeat might be better for NZ in the long term. A victory here could be used to paper over the gaping cracks - such as going into a hugely important series with only 2.5 bowlers (Henry + young guy + ineffectual Southee), an out-of-form keeper with no real backup, makeshift openers over and over again and a coach who's run out of ideas. A loss here makes it more likely that something will be done.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Also didn't bother to bowl the spinner that got Carey last time to Carey until he had 50 on the board. Or the left arm spinner who has a bit of rough outside Carey's offstump to aim at.

Spinner riskier to Marsh I think, but we're bleeding runs to him anyway.
Yeah, I hate how reluctant we are to use spin even when our spinner has a five wicket bag in the series and the alternatives aren't great. This goes back to Latham and Kane's test captaincy too.

anonymouskefe

School Boy/Girl Captain
from Cricinfo

Kevin: "Are you kidding, he hasn't hit that. No way he hit that and Marsh was seriously worried, he knew he hadn't hit it. Yes there is a spike but that wasn't bat on ball."

Liam: "I'm sorry, but that is rubbish from the 3rd umpire. The spike is clearly the bat hitting foot, not the bat on ball. Think it was going down leg anyway, but jumped to a conclusion too quickly there."

Dave: "That has not hit the bat. No way. Side on the ball is infront of the bat, front on its well away from the edge. I think the bat brushes the foot."

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
In some ways, a defeat might be better for NZ in the long term. A victory here could be used to paper over the gaping cracks - such as going into a hugely important series with only 2.5 bowlers (Henry + young guy + ineffectual Southee), an out-of-form keeper with no real backup, makeshift openers over and over again and a coach who's run out of ideas. A loss here makes it more likely that something will be done.
Does it? With Stead &co, does it?

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, I hate how reluctant we are to use spin even when our spinner has a five wicket bag in the series and the alternatives aren't great. This goes back to Latham and Kane's test captaincy too.
All of them should really know better given Ajaz was instrumental in that very narrow win over Pak on debut. And of course not giving Ajaz more than 2 overs in that Lord’s run chase when Stokes got after him following an almost-bowled.

Funny how they refuse to acknowledge the possibility when not playing in Asia.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Memories fade over time

Australia played a series some time ago where there were obvious problems

Didn’t play again for a while and they picked the same bunch the following season

Coronis

International Coach

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It's all going to be on Henry first up after lunch followed by Sears, isn't it? Presume he'll keep Phillips on and run with those two in that order from the other end.

Terrific test match this.
yes - question was 'can someone else in the NZ attack stand up' and the answer was no, back to you Matt Henry

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
from Cricinfo

Kevin: "Are you kidding, he hasn't hit that. No way he hit that and Marsh was seriously worried, he knew he hadn't hit it. Yes there is a spike but that wasn't bat on ball."

Liam: "I'm sorry, but that is rubbish from the 3rd umpire. The spike is clearly the bat hitting foot, not the bat on ball. Think it was going down leg anyway, but jumped to a conclusion too quickly there."

Dave: "That has not hit the bat. No way. Side on the ball is infront of the bat, front on its well away from the edge. I think the bat brushes the foot."
Damn if I was agreeing with cricinfo commenters I must have been wrong. Good decision.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
But if it's a close 2-3 wicket loss then again not much will change I suspect.